Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-17-2001, 06:22 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Unhappy

Tuesday morning -- 5am -- April 17th, 2001 (One day after hell)

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I and my pocket book hoped for the later. Shortly after going to bed (after a very hellish tax deadline day... everything had to go wrong) and I thought all would be behind me...... BEEP BEEP!! Pager alert! Yes boys and girls, this site has gone big time. We have a monitoring service that will call or page when the server is crying. (Does anyone want to be administrator yet?) I woke from my sleep to find ------------ (long pause...... [insert scary music here]...... ) the SVX server was dead! When you think you have just about every base covered too. Multiple CPUs, RAID hard drive system, large battery backup... but only one power supply. POOF! I suppose I will have to rebuild the server with a case that supports dual redundant power supplys, but that wont be any time soon.

BRIEF SUMMARY: The SVX server power supply took a long dive off the deep end. I have no spares so my desktop machine made the crucial organ donation. We are about 50 watts on the weak side too. The dead one was a 350 watt and the organ transplant is a 300 watt. This can only be temporary. I need my desktop machine to function as well. To top things off, the memory might have been damaged. Time will tell on the memory issues. If the server becomes unstable, the memory will have to be replaced. I have already dealt with three memory errors

In ending, here is the final results. I have been out trying to find a job, and althouhg I "MAY" have one soon... It is a TERRIBLE pay cut leaving me with nothing but survival money. Yea.... your local SVX Administrator might have to bag groceries at Albertsons. But hey, "its YOUR store." Anyways we might be forced to take donations for a replacement. It is not a real costly part, but right now I am on a ramen noodles and Mac & Cheese diet. So, if anyone has a 350+ watt ATX power supply laying around (oh.. it still has to have the smoke IN it.... mines all leaked out) send me a PM or something. I also CANNOT check my admin or regular email since my main computer is minus a donated organ at the moment... (why does that sound bad..... Ardub?)

There it is. The good, the bad, and the ugly... Actually I dont remember any good.... (Oh yes... I didnt owe taxes.. Thats good )

Chris
SVX Admin
(whew this thing stinks)
Old 04-17-2001, 09:14 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<I also CANNOT check my admin or regular email since my main computer is minus a donated organ at the moment... (why does that sound bad..... Ardub?) >>

Sentences that use the word "organ" always sound bad.

<<So, if anyone has a 350+ watt ATX power supply laying around>>

Anybody? Anybody? I'd love to help, but, I DID owe taxes (plus there's the expense of two tranny rebuilds and two teenagers to think about -- the trannies, by the way, are much cheaper than the teenagers! )

SOS!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-17-2001, 09:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Power Supplies

It's not pretty, but if you can scrounge a couple of basic 200W or 250W power supplies, you can use one to run your system board and one to run your drives.

I did this on my home machine until my HDDs started on fire, thus removing the need for two power supplies.

Okay, those of you who are laughing to yourselves 'Nick is enough of a geek that his Frankenstein computer started itself on fire,' you can just cut it out. It wasn't funny.

Alright, it was.

Anyway, if you use one of those monitor power cords from one supply to the other, you can turn the entire machine on with one switch.

I think I can provide you with one supply, but the wattage is currently unknown. Probably in the 200-250W range.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-17-2001, 09:42 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
[B
Anybody? Anybody? I'd love to help, but, I DID owe taxes (plus there's the expense of two tranny rebuilds and two teenagers to think about -- the trannies, by the way, are much cheaper than the teenagers! )

SOS! [/B]
I'd love to help Chris out, but like him, I may be flipping burgers or bagging groceries. And I had to pay state and federal taxes this year, and got hit with about 3 grand in unexpected medical bills...it's a great life if you don't weaken.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

I'd love to help Chris out, but like him, I may be flipping burgers or bagging groceries. And I had to pay state and federal taxes this year, and got hit with about 3 grand in unexpected medical bills...it's a great life if you don't weaken.
Okay, eddy. You've once again succeeded in reducing my "mountain" into a "molehill."

Still no word from the interview, huh? There are some days here, however, that I wish I were flipping burgers, or better still, out on the farm cutting tobacco and hauling hay -- and I HATED hauling hay. In fact, I'd rather clean the barn and ride the "spreader" than haul hay. First time on the spreader, though, I forgot to wear a cap -- never made that mistake again.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-17-2001, 10:13 AM

Registered SVX
<<I think I can provide you with one supply, but the wattage is currently unknown. Probably in the 200-250W range.>>

Hmmm. Come to think of it, I've got an Acer that I scavanged the HD out of for my former home unit. I'll check the supply on it tonight.

"It's alive! It's alive!" Pfffffffft -- WHOOSH! "It's dead! It's dead!" Nick -- you crack me up! (LOL!)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-17-2001, 10:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Raising money

Surely we can get 10 of us to chip in 10 bucks. This thing (I understand a 350W ATX supply is kinda rare) shouldn't be TOO expensive. How much do you need? I'm in for 10 or 20 if that's what it takes.

- Jeff
Old 04-17-2001, 10:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Nick -- you crack me up! (LOL!)
I'm so glad I can fulfill your entertainment needs today.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-17-2001, 10:35 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Yeah, me too - I'll be glad to pony up a few bucks. Post the address.

And now let me put in a plug for an official club. One of the things an official club could do, would be to allocate some financial resources to the maintenance of the club server.

Think what it would be like without this resource.

Think what it will take to ensure its continued existence.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Club

I think I've said this before, but there must be dues , right? I'm in several clubs, associations, etc. from environmental to flying and the need for dues DOES cause a certain feeling of "membership" and loyalty. They don't have to be a financial burden, but they do have to generate a certain ownership feeling. If you get my meaning...
Old 04-17-2001, 12:23 PM
Headed to Texas...

Thumbs up

Chris, check your PM - I'll chip in what I can. Just post your address. I think I've lost it.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-17-2001, 02:26 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Smile Chip in

Hey Chris, I would also like to help. Let us know where to send donations.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:06 PM
zsvx

I have an extra ATX 400w power supply. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:55 PM
The Road Less Traveled

300W is A-OK

Chris,

Don't sweat it. You're running a dual PIII-500 with 2 hard drives, right?

The 300W is OK. Find a 250W for your desktop, or give me an address so I can forward one to you. I've got 250W's coming out of my wazoo, but no 350's.

Besides, unless you get a REAL brand name 350W's, most of them (and for that matter, most of the 300Ws on the market) are overspec'd. I know of many that were born as a 250W with a label switched.

I've run a Dual PIII-550 with 5 10kRPM SCSI HD's in RAID 5 without problems on a 300W. If it's running now, it'll likely stay running. The memory problem, however, I'm more concerned with. Either take down the server for 2 hours and run a memory tester (www.simmtester.com, there's a freebie, and works REAL well), or try a program called Burn-In Test, but that may eat up CPU cycles and bring the server to a halt for the other tasks anyways.

I'd also be willing to have my server to be used for whatever purpose if you need to take down yours. It's always on, with the occasional reboot (for maintenance purposes), and I get pretty good bandwidth even on cable (there must be no one in my neighbourhood with a computer or something ).

VK
Old 04-17-2001, 11:38 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by zsvx
I have an extra ATX 400w power supply. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you tomorrow.
Wowzers! (If I may quote Inspector Gadget ) Matt, you are a generous and most wonderful person.

Also, all the other offers of monitary assistance and power supplies and just plain "rally to the cause" attitudes here is making me all . . . well, you all talk amongst yourselves . . . I'm having a moment.

(Meanwhile, Matt -- get some new shades The ones in your pic don't compliment your eyes )
Subaru Ambassador