Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How likely are you to purchase a new stylin bodykit
Would definitely purchase 6 0.30%
Most likely purchase 5 0.25%
Would consider puchasing 16 0.79%
Up Yours!! I like it stock! 2,000 98.67%
Voters: 2027. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2005, 05:54 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparicky
Hi, here a Photoshop work of my SVX, now it's white, i hope to finish it before next summer.
Kick-ass photoshop work.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
hey Earth worm, I'm retarded and can't figure out how to post a pic, can I email it to you?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:57 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Did I miss something here?

The argument is pretty much this.... If we can modify the mechanics of the cars, why can't they modify the body????

A valid argument....

And here is mine....

Yes I did do the 5 speed swap... And the Koni/GC suspension swap.... And the 3 peice Stabro exhaust.... and the 18" ICW Trident D7 wheels.... These mods were done to make the car better handling and more fun to drive..... And it does exactly that, it corners better than a Z06, and is more fun to drive (IMHO) than a Stock WRX...

Here is my point on the Body Modification....

From the factory, the SVX had a .29 Drag Coefficent (.28 w/o the spoiler). The car's aerodynamics are damn near as perfect as possible for a road car. Gugario(sp?) designed the car, Subaru spent Hundreds of Hours on windtunnel testing, making sure that everything on the car was designed so that the car would slip through the air with as little resistance as possible... Did it work? HELL YES it DID!!! I've never known of a car that weighs as much as this car and only has 230hp that is such an amazing High speed cruiser... I would say that the only thing I can't understand that Subaru did (cosmetically) would be that damn waterfall (the fake light in the front)... But since they fixed it in the 97 model years (and the S4 SVX in Japan) then that is an alright mod... Anything else done to the body of this car will HURT the aerodynamics of the car and also the Highspeed handling/stabability.... That means EVERYTHING... I'm pretty sure that when Subaru set out to build a car, they put just a few more hours and $$$ in designing the front bumper (example) than any aftermarket fabrication shop would ever do...

That is my Argument... I see it as a VERY valid point to make.... Besides, what do body kits do anyways besides affect the intended handeling or your car??? They are for looks... So, that means that they are to try to get the attention of others... Doesn't the car attract enough attention as it is??? Mine sure does... If you want more attention than the stock SVX draws then (IMHO) you are an Attention *****...

But what all this really comes down to is: Diffrence of Oppinion... This is my oppinion. I look at it more from a mechanical/functional side of things...

What someone wants to do with their car is their choice... Don't let anyone stop you if you want to do something to your SVX's body. If that is what floats your boat then DO IT!!

Just remember, when you ask for oppinions, you will most certanly get mine uncensored and unbarred... IMHO, those are the best sort of oppinions... But again, that is just my oppinion

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 04-12-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:01 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2k3
hey Earth worm, I'm retarded and can't figure out how to post a pic, can I email it to you?
You're not retarded..... I did the same thing when I was a n00b... Actually did it about a year and a half ago too...

Your picture has to be hosted by an online Picture thingie... (ie. Imagestation, Yaho Photos... ect)... Then you type "[IMG]" "the hyper link to that photo on the site" "[/IMG]".... Good luck

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Subaru spent Hundreds of Hours on windtunnel testing, making sure that everything on the car was designed so that the car would slip through the air with as little resistance as possible... Did it work? HELL YES it DID!!! I've never known of a car that weighs as much as this car and only has 230hp that is such an amazing High speed cruiser... I would say that the only thing I can't understand that Subaru did (cosmetically) would be that damn waterfall (the fake light in the front)... But since they fixed it in the 97 model years (and the S4 SVX in Japan) then that is an alright mod... Anything else done to the body of this car will HURT the aerodynamics of the car and also the Highspeed handling/stabability.... That means EVERYTHING...

I agree that the mock light grill has to go, it serves no purpose.

As for the front bumper; there is always room for improvement. If the svx rated high in a wind tunnel with the current bumper who's to say that a bumper with a different shape wouldn't rate just as high, as long as there is R&D invested into doing so.. Not that i have the resources for R&D.
Again.. there is always room for improvement.
Although most use a bodykit for cosmetic advantages it can provide many practical uses such as..

cold air dam
foglight pockets
brake cooling vents
engine heat vent
handling stability

..and many aftermarket kits are designed with these factors in mind.

Please keep in mind that all production cars are produced with a basic style so to appeal to the masses, such as the SVX.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:21 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewilo
I agree that the mock light grill has to go, it serves no purpose.

As for the front bumper; there is always room for improvement. If the svx rated high in a wind tunnel with the current bumper who's to say that a bumper with a different shape wouldn't rate just as high, as long as there is R&D invested into doing so.. Not that i have the resources for R&D.
Again.. there is always room for improvement.
Although most use a bodykit for cosmetic advantages it can provide many practical uses such as..

cold air dam
foglight pockets
brake cooling vents
engine heat vent
handling stability

..and many aftermarket kits are designed with these factors in mind.

Please keep in mind that all production cars are produced with a basic style so to appeal to the masses, such as the SVX.

Just my two cents.

don't forget FMIC....
but then steve's bumper covers that
the bumper is fine stock the half spoiler, or the lip spoilers that dale sells knockoffs of help the front look enough
i would get steve's bumper personaly.. work on the rest of the car for the body kit and work around one of the other front end options out there... side skirts of some sort would be great to go w/ the front, eliminate the plastic cladding and the divot between the plastic and the metal and redo the rear bumper w/o that body line and do some undercar airflow vents ala rear of ferrari 360
Old 04-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewilo
Great photochopping. It provides a great alternate of how an SVX can look.
Any other chopped pics out there?

Yes, the SVX is a unique car and it will get a unique kit. I'm using all the pics posted as a reference to what shape and possible designs would suit it best.

Here's what i'm sure of and not sure of so far.

Front bumper:
will be a bit wider than stock
openings will be designed for ram intake
one larger opening
openings for fog lights?
will not taper inwards at bottom

Rear bumper:
will be a bit wider than stock
not sure yet about any openings - considering openings that will be meshed, but don't want to rice it out.
exhaust tips may have to be extended to accommodate rear bumper

Skirts:will be an inch wider - running under the door and up the two sides to where the panel is clipped in.

I expect the kit to give the SVX a bit of a squared off look. A stronger, more sophisticated look compared to the softer feminine look.

I will be meeting with my bodykit guy next week and see how much further i can go with this.

Don't forget to vote.
Did you check the kit on my car? i highly recommend the front bumper design same as the one in my car, as for the skirts, i recommend Hunter's design for those... as for the rear bumper, you can check mine, but also there are a lot of better looking bumpers you can choose from...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:20 AM
Own'eded

like I said before, I would buy your kit in a min. silverspear, I like it alot, its got a WRC feel for the streets, I would buy one as quick as you could get it hear.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Hehe, why don't you do a group buy thing and i will see what price i can get again for the kit similar to mine. I have to go make another pass at local fiberglass workers... but what i heard so far is that materials prices like resine, fiberglass and hardeners are getting higher because of rising petrol prices. each resine quart became near $5 at the time it was $2.15 for the good stuff (the European like Italian)...

On the other hand, i like to see some talented and curious members who are willing to present and make other kit ideas, and i am more than willing to help in anything and give advice...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Did you check the kit on my car? i highly recommend the front bumper design same as the one in my car

Not a bad looking front bumper, mine will also come out wider around the corner lights and have a similar all round shape. The large fogs are not happening for me though. The stylin of the WRX is completely different from the SVX...one is sporty/rugged while the other is sporty/classy so i'm tryin to match the lines and style of the kit to that of the car.

How's the high speed stability of the car with that bumper??
Old 04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Sure: david@svx-iw.com
Old 04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Own'eded

alright, trying to do that now, however, Im pretty dumb and I don't really know if this ones small enough either
Old 04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Own'eded

YES! you got mail Earthworm, tell me what you think of it
Old 04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Own'eded

also, after alot of design, I think the WB would need alot of work, just looking at it from a design stand point I don't think the flares really jive with the exsisting flares intigrated into teh body, what do you think, WB a little to much at this point? or do you like it how it is, I think the side skirts could be used as well as the front but I think teh flares just make it to wide in the wrong areas, also what do you think of the eye lid design, I want some opinions of SVX owners because everyone else just says hell ya! also, should I remake the fog light housings for the fog lights as well as air intakes for brake coolers? Just give my your TRUE opinion, nothing watered down about it. Thanks, Chris
Old 04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
YES! you got mail Earthworm, tell me what you think of it
I'll let you know once I get home.