Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That sounds exactly what http://svx-iw.com/ does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
Seriously, I would rather see an easily accessible data base. Many of these threads are redundant. I haven't ever gotten a response to any keyword I've ever used in the FAQ section of the site. The info is there...how to get it? Or am I doing something wrong?
A compilation of the best deals on tires, wheels, struts, rads, etc, etc would be v. helpful. We could do it like the Internet Enyclopedia. Under radiators we could have install instructions and the names of various resources, such as PWR vs OEM. I found a resource for OEM struts at $99 ea. Is that a good deal? I sure don't know because that's the first and only place I've looked. But there's undoubtedly several folks out there who've already done the research while shopping around for their struts who can report their experience and give their buying experience a rating and rate their product satisfaction. Like Tire Rack rates tires. Much as I love talkin' 'bout my Subbie, especially here amongst the annointed, I think tracking down tech info and parts resources takes too much time and is in desperate need of organizing. Any software engineers out there?
What do you guys think? Chris?
WGJ
Old 03-28-2005, 02:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I give this thread a 9.2.
It has a good beat and you can dance to it.
Also, the lyrics are very catchy.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Not Exactly

I'm familiar with this site and it is v. helpful. But I'm talking about an encyclopedia like data base where one can look up "exhaust system" and find a listing of all the various pieces of info remitted by Network folks with specific brand names and parts numbers. For example where would I find the parts number for the right side cat? A good source? Who's got the best price? Make sense?
Thanks,
WGJ
Old 03-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I could easily do that if there's enough interest in that. I'm always up for a challenge.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:53 PM

Easily?

I know just enough about programming/software engineering to be dangerous. I was thinking we could organize the current data base like an encyclopedia and then everyone could contribute their stuff in the appropriate category just like Wikipedia. What do ya think?
WGJ
Old 03-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Meow!

All I would need to do is tell everyone the page I use to add articles to my database and that's it.

Problem is that page does not do any sort of error checking so people could take advantage of my site.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:19 AM

Take Advantage?

PM me in regard to "take advantage". How?
WGJ
Old 03-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Meow!

I don't mind. What I mean is that the page I use allows anyone to delete any article or category. Deleting a category does not delete the articles in that category. I don't error check any uploaded files that could potentially overwrite system files.

What I may do is create a new page that only allows people to submit articles/files and then I will determine the category and verify the information.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:41 PM

Way Cool

Worm you da man! However I'm concerned that you may be overwhelmed...editing all that data could be v. labor intensive. Perhaps you could emulate Wikipedia's model and have a few trusted and reliable guys help w/editing. Life's short and it wasn't meant to be spent in front of a computer. Look forward to your response...this is v. exciting.
Thanks,
WGJ
Old 03-29-2005, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
hey i was just looking on not exactly svx and you can rate threads in that forum only it looks like. oh, and heres proof screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (203.4 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky512345
hey i was just looking on not exactly svx and you can rate threads in that forum only it looks like. oh, and heres proof screenshot
lmao 910
Old 03-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

It looks like the rating feature is on for good now. That's going to be kind of fun.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
Worm you da man! However I'm concerned that you may be overwhelmed...editing all that data could be v. labor intensive. Perhaps you could emulate Wikipedia's model and have a few trusted and reliable guys help w/editing. Life's short and it wasn't meant to be spent in front of a computer. Look forward to your response...this is v. exciting.
Thanks,
WGJ
I would be open to that. All I would need to do would be to create separate pages for each level. 1 level for submitting articles (user), 1 level for modifying articles (mod) and one level for everything else (admin). Sounds familiar
Old 03-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Open Is Good But...

again, 'Worm, I want to express my concern that one guy (you) gets buried in work, like what happened with Chris and the aluminum rad group buy. Are you familiar w/the Wikipedia project? Check it out and you'll see why I think it's a good model for what I'm proposing.
WGJ
Old 03-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Meow!

Not really. I'd set it up so that users submit articles and mods format them properly (ie: HTML). Once that's done I just assign a category to the article and that's it.