IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-27-2001, 03:04 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Cool

Have a look at this show site. The station wagon looks interesting, the Alpha-Exiga. It seems to be described as a "near-future" model, so is possibly in development.

It's fitted with the flat six new 3 litre engine, and appears very low slung next to the model [unless she is 6'6"] Could this be the future for our SVX? Looks kinda cute.

http://teleparc.com/tms/hall/west/fuji-p/fuji-p-e.htm
Joe
Old 03-27-2001, 03:14 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
FHI Booth

Cool, but what inquiring minds want to know is:

What's the Alcyone SVX S4-II? There's no picture. Frustrating - they have LOTS of models listed, but no pictures or specs.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-27-2001, 03:35 PM
Headed to Texas...

Unhappy Cool site?

I couldn't get the site to come up, but the URL looks real familiar to me. I think that this is a fairly old site. One can hope, but I think Subaru has gone on to other things.

On a more positive note, Car & Driver is reporting that Subaru will bring over the Impreza WRX STi as a 2003 model. It's in the latest issue, with the red Porsche on the cover (OK, I'm too lazy to check for the date - besides, the cat is settled on my lap)

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-27-2001, 05:47 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Old Site?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing too. I remember the flurry of excitement on Yahoo, when possibly this URL was posted there. If I weren't so lazy, I guess I could try the searchable Yahoo message database. Besides, I have to get back into class in a few minutes. Don't have a cat handy.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-27-2001, 08:08 PM
suby_qa

The 2 door cabroilet Impreza is supposed to come to the US within the next couple of years, so I don't think it is that old.

The wagon with the H-6 is, I think the next generation Legacy.

I still stand by what I hear coming from connections in SOA, the next SVX will be the 2-door Impreza.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:10 PM
SVXpowerman

I second that notion.

All my buddies here at the local Suby shop say the same thing.

One of my buddies gave me a call when the Regional Suby Service Rep showed up in a WRX Impreza. So I finally had a chance to see one in person.

Of course he asked me when I was going to trade in the SVX for one. And I said "NEVER!"

If the 2003 SVX does come here I absolutely will buy one to sit side by side next to the original.
Old 03-28-2001, 12:36 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by suby_qa
The 2 door cabroilet Impreza is supposed to come to the US within the next couple of years, so I don't think it is that old.

The wagon with the H-6 is, I think the next generation Legacy.

I still stand by what I hear coming from connections in SOA, the next SVX will be the 2-door Impreza.
I can see sense in the next generation Legacy bit, but I disagreed before on the idea of badging a 2 door Impreza as an SVX, this will not happen.
There is a major difference in concept in a car that was designed from the drawing board stage as a GT Coupe, and a souped up 2 door rally car. This is not to run down WRX cars, they are magic motors, but they're no GTs.
Another possibility is unless there is a major change in the market, Subaru will be reluctant to do another SVX. Think about it. They were slow sellers, except in the first couple of years. They only retain a fraction of their cost, not to mention their real worth, second-hand, and they are complex to the point of being daunting to own or service.
If another SVX comes along, it will be from a design exercise and/or a studio like Giugiaro, it will have the 3 litre H6, possibly with forced induction, and will be a much easier servicing proposition for owners. This is my guess, but I don't have a crystal ball. Fuji will respond to marketing feeback and potential demand from the States, the biggest market, but there are world wide considerations to be factored in also.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:38 AM
Headed to Texas...

The May 2001 Car & Driver is reporting that Subaru will begin marketing the Impreza WRX STi as a 2003 model, for a reported $30,000.
In light of this, which confirms Subaru's intent on focusing it's performance image as a rally car, I don't see a 2003 SVX happening.
As I have voiced before, the closest thing may be something based on a Legacy - sort of a upper-end GT with the H-6. I have not heard/read anything about a vehicle like this.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-28-2001, 09:59 AM
BradT

new Subarus

FYI, the Alpha-Exiga and Impreza Operetta were concept cars first shown a fair number of years ago. However ....

According to a recent press release, "Subaru, the pioneer of the all-wheel-drive wagons is expected to introduce an all-new "wagon" model at [the 2001 New York International Automobile Show]." We'll see -- the show is next month. Could be simply a new trim level for the Legacy/Outback, a preview of the redesigned Forester or possibly a preview of the upcoming GM/Subaru sport wagon announced last week. Subaru also has a sport pickup coming up.

On the same subject, Subaru has recently registered the following trademarks (presumably vehicle model names): Overture, Backpack, Bandero, Baja, Adirondack, Boulder, and .... Brat!

(Of course, as was pointed out way back when, Subaru also re-registed SVX. Hmm.)

--Brad
Old 03-28-2001, 10:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Wink

If you want some inkling as to what the "next" SVX will be like, go to the folder in my briefcase, under my profile, on the Yahoo SVX club site.

Larry III
Old 03-28-2001, 05:26 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Visionary, Larry, must admit if a new SVX is coming, it would make sense to move the game upmarket.
Not sure about the H8, they should be able to extract "enough" power [another oxymoron] from a forced induction 3 litre or 3.3 litre flat 6 without going to the expense of tooling up for a new engine design.

Also, I would expect them to move in the "greener" direction, after all they are currently pulling very usable horsepower, and torque, from 2 litre and 2.2 litre engines. The move to smaller capacity with the current H6 underlines this trend for smaller and more efficient.
Build would be lighter, big use of aluminium suspension components a la BMW, and more use of aluminium, possibly composite panels as you suggest.

They will not use fake carbon fibre dashboard panels, this is like ballet shoes on an elephant. You want a stripped out racer, buy a Lotus Elise. In racing, everything is sacrificed to lose weight and gain horsepower. In a GT car, there are no sacrifices. You cannot tour in the Grande fashion, and make sacrifices or compromises. It may be a year or two before we see one, even as a design exercise or taster. Witness the interest in the WRX. Selling cars is a business. Give the punter what he wants, it's a win win situation. I will be minding my car. It could be a long wait.
Joe
Old 03-28-2001, 08:06 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
New Suby's at Show

Do my eyes deceive me, or did I see an Impreza CONVERTIBLE on the stand? WRX perhaps?
If the station wagon has styling clues of the new SVX, it should be a stunner! Don
Old 03-28-2001, 08:16 PM
Headed to Texas...

Unhappy Old show!

Don, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the show with the Impreza convertible is a few years old.
Not to say it couldn't happen, of course!
Also, I still don't think Subaru will bring back the SVX any ways soon - why, that would be as probable as finding giant roots on Mars!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-28-2001, 08:20 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thumbs down Legacy GT H-6

I asked my dealer when the new 6 was going to be available in the Legacy GT....he said he had heard nothing along that line....hummm.....call a car a GT and you don't even have your best engine in it? Perhaps he is just dense.....he sells Kia's too, and didn't have a clue about the Spectra K....I refered him to Kia's own website....duhhhhhh!.....Maybe the next SVX will be a reskined H-6 Legacy? Other car companies have placed famous names on lesser cars before....
Old 03-28-2001, 08:23 PM
Debo

Send a message via AIM to cxt2001
Exclamation ALCYONE SVX S4-II............!!!!

Someone plz reply on what svxter asked. Does anyone know if this thing really exists? Or have any pics to share?

Thanks
Chris