Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-23-2001, 08:39 AM
Clark Kent

CD Player install

Hey all.

I just got a new CD Player(Pioneer P9300) and need to know how to get at the ant. wire. Help!

Clark
Old 08-23-2001, 09:12 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Should've been right with the factory deck
Old 08-23-2001, 09:34 AM
Clark Kent

My stock CD player will play the first 20 second of track 1, wont play 2-4, starts to play 5 then stops, and jumps to the middle of 3. If I reselect another track above 6 or 7 it will play OK, just skip alot and has static. I've had the car almost 3 years now, and it is was made in 4-01, so it is over ten years old, has has 76000 miles on it. Some parts wear out. I've tried cleaning it. That didn't help. I found The SVX Sound Install Experience, and that doesn't help much removing the player. It moves about an inch. I've installed a deck in a legacy with a friend, and we found the ant. wire under the carpet, so we just disconnected it. I can't locate on this car.

I did find a wiring harness that according to Best Buy and the tech. support for it say it will work, but I wonder about the speakers in the dash. They said the are connected to the front speakers, and don't have independent sound. The harness is for a 4 speaker system. ????

I currently have the stock deck unscrewed, and the plastic trim pieces removed. I would like to do it myself, but I don't want to damage my car. I do have wiring experience. I've installed decks, keyless entry, and power window systems in other cars, just not mine. My girlfriend's car is the guinea pig

I have the car until this SAT. when the guy doing my 5spd conversion does some fittings for the clutch, and new petals. I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
Clark
Old 08-23-2001, 10:19 AM
kvnobrien

The ant. wires are under the rug, probably very similar to where the Legacy wires you've found. It should be under the drivers side rug near the gas pedal. I haven't seen it myself, but they say there are two wires there. You will be able to disconnect the wires from the head unit there.
There two coax wires are for better reception, one is for the rear windshield antenna and the other it for the power antenna. On the new stereo you'll only have one antenna input so you can go to Radio Shack and get some connectors to combined the them both into one with a coax extension, or just use one of the them to connect to your new head unit. Remember to disconnect the antenna wires before trying to remove the head unit completely.

Hope this helps.

Kev

Last edited by kvnobrien; 08-23-2001 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:39 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
The CD player in mine was bad from the start, I had to replace it also

the in-dash tweeters i'm guessing receive the same signal as the 6.5's in the front doors, it just splits somewhere

From what I remember the antenna wires pulled right out the back, I guess I'm not following the concern on that one.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:33 PM
Clark Kent

Angry

Thanks for all your tips, but after 3 hours of trying to install it, I finally took it to Circuit City, where there 1.) took 4.5 hours to install it 2.) took my entire dash apart to get it out after I explained to them they didn't need to 3.) scatched the hell out of the area around the "shifter"4.) BROKE!! the air duct above the climate control, and finally 5.) BROKE the door that covers the radio. It no longer closes well, and when you get it open, it does not go down all the way. They also hooked up my RCAs wrong. All for approx. 100 dollars. I can't wait for Monday

The deck works well, though. Anyway, are there 2 ant. for this car?? For all years?

Thanks,
Clark
Old 08-24-2001, 10:31 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark Kent
The deck works well, though. Anyway, are there 2 ant. for this car?? For all years?

Thanks,
Clark
Yes, there are two antennas for every year, but, if your unit is not configured for "diversity reception" (automatically choosing between the rod antenna and the rear windshield antenna for best FM reception), then, hook into the power (rod) antenna only. The other antenna will not operate without a "diversity reception" radio.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 08-25-2001 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark Kent
Thanks for all your tips, but after 3 hours of trying to install it, I finally took it to Circuit City, where there 1.) took 4.5 hours to install it 2.) took my entire dash apart to get it out after I explained to them they didn't need to 3.) scatched the hell out of the area around the "shifter"4.) BROKE!! the air duct above the climate control, and finally 5.) BROKE the door that covers the radio. It no longer closes well, and when you get it open, it does not go down all the way. They also hooked up my RCAs wrong. All for approx. 100 dollars. I can't wait for Monday

Thanks,
Clark
In all fairness, the Subaru Service manual does tell you to remove all that stuff to remove the radio. I don't know why, but, it does. You can be sure I don't remove all that stuff when I swap mine.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-25-2001, 05:19 PM
SVXtc

I am getting the exact same head unit in my car (Pioneer p9300).
I think it is one of the best ones out there. If anyone hasn't seen it, check it out. The visuals will blow your mind. By the way, did you know you can go on the internet and download different screen savers to be stored and played on the head unit. You can also take a digital picture of anything and put it on the head unit. It's crazy! If anybody wants one, I can get it $10 over dealers cost.
Old 08-25-2001, 08:48 PM
Clark Kent

It is really cool. Looks awsome at night. I didn't know you could download new screensavers. Where, at Pioneers web site? How do you input them? I had a pocket put in that holds cd's that finishes the look. I got it for 35 bucks. It was a 1 time deal from my work.

What is your cost? I know they list for 800 bucks, and Best Buy has them for 706.98. Can you get subs and amps for cost?

Clark
Old 08-25-2001, 09:28 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

In all fairness, the Subaru Service manual does tell you to remove all that stuff to remove the radio. I don't know why, but, it does. You can be sure I don't remove all that stuff when I swap mine.
Maybe it's just me. I can take my stereo out and put the stock back in or take the stock out and put mine back in in less than 1/2 hour. It's not that hard. you take the plastic casing out. Then you take the 3(or 4) screws that screws in the metal housing. Then you pull the whole thing out. Do the same to put it back in.

If you all want, I can perhaps go down and take step by step photos again.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-26-2001, 02:11 AM
SVXtc

I can get Pioneer, MTX, Coustic, Xtant, etc. I am going to get the Pioneer P9300 for right around $500. The dealer has the software to be able to download the different screensavers to the headunit. Let me know what anyone needs.
Old 08-26-2001, 07:45 AM
Clark Kent

Is it addition cost for this software? How do you load the screen saver/ pictures?

And if you have it installed, make sure(for th P9300) they don't hook the microphone up to the back of the deck. I didn't even think they could, but CC managed. It plugs in next to where you put the CD's in after the face folds down. My only complaint with the 9300 is the radio reception gets a little static to it when cars pass, but I listen to cd's mostly because I'm so sick of N'Sync and the like. Anyway, the SVX also has a good sound to it, compared to other cars. It's like a studio on wheels. I just ran RCAs from the deck to the trunk and am looking for Subs and an Amp. Anyone recommend anything? Best Buy has 2 Pioneer 10" 400W Subs for $89 and 2 12" 450W for $99. Sears has Sony Subs on sale 10" for $119 and 12" for $139. They also have a Sony 760W amp for 199. Anythoughts?

Best Buy had 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" Punch Z's for $139 two weeks ago. I heard they are pretty good. I can also get a 250w 2 channel Rock. Fos. amp. for $150. Is this a good deal?

And finally, how do you get the door panels off the SVX? Sorry for the long post, but as most of you know, it seems hard to find a place that knows how to work on an SVX. Thanks!

Clark
Old 08-26-2001, 10:42 AM
SVXtc

First off, stay away from Sony. Secondly, I don't know if you have to pay something extra for the download capabilities. The dealer pays something like $100 for the program. Since the guy who works at the stereo shop is in my car club, he just lets me go up there whenever to put new stuff on the headunit. I'll try to find out.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Pictures of Japanese Audio Install

I found this - it may be of use with installing audio equipment in the SVX and if you are lucky enough, SATNAV!

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/alcyone/car/odhio/ohodio.htm

There are three links to choose from - the pictures of the Double DIN install look useful

Regards

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!