How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-03-2001, 08:48 PM
Fries

Question H6 Engine Life

I love the styling and performance of the SVX. I have been looking for one for quite a long time. I recently found a 92 for $5200, but it has 103k miles. I was wondering if guys could tell me how many miles are expected out of these engines. The owner is a mechanic, so I am assuming the car has been very well maintained. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-03-2001, 09:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: H6 Engine Life

Quote:
Originally posted by Fries
I love the styling and performance of the SVX. I have been looking for one for quite a long time. I recently found a 92 for $5200, but it has 103k miles. I was wondering if guys could tell me how many miles are expected out of these engines. The owner is a mechanic, so I am assuming the car has been very well maintained. Thanks for the help!
Hey, Fries. Would you like a Big Mac with that? Okay, enough humor (NOT!)

The engine on the SVX is virtually bulletproof (unfortunately, unlike the transmission). I bought my 92 with 109K. I'm now knocking on the door of 160K (will probably hit it next week), the engine is still going strong and I get 22mpg city and 27mpg hwy. There are a few in this club with over 100K. Doug Mohr has over 200K on his '92. So, the answer to your question is, the SVX engine is one of the strongest you'll find. Just take care of the tranny. Put an external cooler on the sucker and make sure the filter has been installed (as per the program). 5,200 is not bad at all for a 103K SVX that's been owned by a mechanic (especially if it's a Subaru mechanic). Happy trails.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-04-2001, 04:27 AM
ehyde111

Re: H6 Engine Life

Quote:
Originally posted by Fries
I paid $4500 for a 92 with 123000 miles on it. The engine is very strng with no signs of quitting . In my area, this svx booked for $8k+, and I thought I got a good deal.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:31 AM
KEVINL

the engine is 3 cylinders long and has 7 main bearings. Every SVX engine was run on a dyno before installation I never heard of one failing
Old 08-04-2001, 02:05 PM
joeaux

Last forever. These engines are coveted by home aircraft builders. Would you trust just ANY engine in an airplane?
-joe-
Old 08-07-2001, 03:36 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
They are bulletproof. I've put 209,927 miles on the original crank seals, original water pump, original timing belt, alternator, etc. In fact the only thing I've replaced are the rubber lines on the tranny cooler, the drive belts, the cats, and oh yeah ELEVEN TRANSMISSIONS...

Doug

And before the flames start, I am trying to order a new timing belt and water pump but CDA Subaru decided that they aren't interested in replying to Email orders anymore.
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-07-2001, 04:22 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
I got mine so cheap because of the waterpump...

it lasted for approx 123K miles. If you need help with your timing belt let me know...its pretty fresh in my mind. I also made a pic included how-to on how to do it.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-07-2001, 05:36 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

And before the flames start, I am trying to order a new timing belt and water pump but CDA Subaru decided that they aren't interested in replying to Email orders anymore.
I printed out this message and have a mind to give it to the guys running CDA Subaru now. It pisses me off that since Chuck died and Scott quit that they are getting more bad press than good. I've spent months trying to get you guys good deals on parts and I'm extremely angry that they just don't seem to give a rat's ass about customer satisfaction.

I'd suggest that all of you guys that have dealt with them send them e-mails (good or bad), describing your experiences with them. And also mention the fact that they would have *no* internet business if it weren't for Scott and Chuck. And if they want to go back to local only parts sales that can and will happen.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:35 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

Doug I faxed CDA Subaru a letter with the above quote from you in it. I got a call not 5 minutes later from the parts manager apologizing profusely. He says that they have someone who is supposed to handle the e-mails and that he hadn't gotten yours. He suggested that you e-mail him again, attention "Larry", and he'll get you fixed up.

We had a fairly long discussion on how I've spent nearly a year promoting the dealership with no compensation and that I could certainly stop at any point and that the service had better get better. Just goes to show you what can be accomplished when you send the fax to the head honcho, not the employees.

Oh man, gotta go...Eddy just passed by the window with a mouse in his mouth. (Must be a good mouse day, ZeeZee had one this morning tormenting it.)
Old 08-08-2001, 11:58 AM

Thanks, Eddy.

I just resent the original Email with Attn:Larry added to the subject.
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 08-14-2001, 01:37 PM

I wanted to let you know that I just received a reply and I called Larry with the payment info and shipping address.

Thanks Eddy.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 08-15-2001, 09:31 PM
joeaux

See Eddy, this is why I respect you. You're loyal to us as a group. I admire that. Nuff Said!
-joe-
Old 08-16-2001, 08:38 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
I ordered brake pads and a new remote from CDA Subaru last week. Haven't gotten a call in that they are ready to ship. The last order I put in through them was somewhat of a hassle. They had the parts sitting there but never called me to get my shipping and credit card information. Good thing I called. I hope not to repeat the experience again. Their prices are excellent and Larry is overall a very friendly guy.

Eddy, you should be getting some sort of commission! I know a lot of us have started ordering from them.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2001, 09:46 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
How to kill an H-6

The only one I've heard of dying is one that the owner decided didn't need oil, for some reason.

Use a high quality oil, and change it at reasonable intervals, and you should be good to go for a long time. I also stick with Subaru filters - buy three or four at a time, and always carry one in the car, so I can get it changed whenever I need. I use Castrol GTX, which seems to be a common choice among SVX owners.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:59 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue

Eddy, you should be getting some sort of commission! I know a lot of us have started ordering from them.

Jeff
Perhaps, but I originally did it just as something to do with some of my spare time. And Scott was the parts manager at the time, my wife trained him.

As for your parts not being ready yet, remember, Subaru in their infinite wisdom only lets dealers order one day a week, so you could be looking at 10 days or so before they get the part and can ship it to you. Toopid setup if you ask me, but it's not the dealers fault.