How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-03-2001, 12:51 PM
lightning_8669

Thumbs up Service as it should be

I'm ruined. Absolutely ruined! After the service tech at one of the local Subaru dealerships couldn't remove one of the bolts holding the rear bearing housing in my wife's Forester I decided to take it to a shop near where I'm working that was recommended by Doug Mohr. I scheduled an appointment and informed them I'd need to wait for the rear bearing to be replaced. They said fine, that'd be about 2 hours. Their waiting room had a mint Porsche 911 Turbo in it and a *very* comfortable leather sofa. And not only did they not have that annoying "No Customers Allowed Beyond This Point" sign the tech actually invited me into the shop to watch and ask questions. The shop? Spotless! They even had a young kid cleaning. He was taking a pencil eraser and removing scuff marks from the walls. The shop also housed several vintage cars. An old Morris and, I think, an old Triumph. The guy finished the replacement in about 1 1/2 hours. He handed the old parts (that he put in a box) to the service writer who's assistant immediately grabbed and said "I'll put that in your vehicle for you sir". I said thanks and paid my bill which was just under half of what the dealership quoted. I went out and got in the car and on the console there was a package of cookies with a ribbon around it holding on a thank you note.

Helloooooo Subaru? Are you listening out there? THIS is how owners of Subarus wish to be treated!

I now will be unable to return to the dealership with my cars for service. A damn shame.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:09 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
OMG!! Awesome...

Where is this place? I might just have to drive halfway across the country to get that kind of service!

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-03-2001, 02:14 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Dood!

Why don't you forward this post to SOA, and then also send copies to your local dealers. We *know* what service should be...telling us doesn't further the cause. (Not that I mind hearing about it).

This is a relatively small forum and while I think you got shafted at your dealership, how can we help? But if you were to write SOA, they *can* and will take some steps to correct the situation. I've even seen franchises yanked for crap like that. (Well maybe that and the owner was snorting most of his profits so he couldn't pay his bills. )
Old 08-03-2001, 08:19 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Service as it should be

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
I'm ruined. Absolutely ruined! After the service tech at one of the local Subaru dealerships couldn't remove one of the bolts holding the rear bearing housing in my wife's Forester I decided to take it to a shop near where I'm working that was recommended by Doug Mohr. I scheduled an appointment and informed them I'd need to wait for the rear bearing to be replaced. They said fine, that'd be about 2 hours. Their waiting room had a mint Porsche 911 Turbo in it and a *very* comfortable leather sofa. And not only did they not have that annoying "No Customers Allowed Beyond This Point" sign the tech actually invited me into the shop to watch and ask questions. The shop? Spotless! They even had a young kid cleaning. He was taking a pencil eraser and removing scuff marks from the walls. The shop also housed several vintage cars. An old Morris and, I think, an old Triumph. The guy finished the replacement in about 1 1/2 hours. He handed the old parts (that he put in a box) to the service writer who's assistant immediately grabbed and said "I'll put that in your vehicle for you sir". I said thanks and paid my bill which was just under half of what the dealership quoted. I went out and got in the car and on the console there was a package of cookies with a ribbon around it holding on a thank you note.

Helloooooo Subaru? Are you listening out there? THIS is how owners of Subarus wish to be treated!

I now will be unable to return to the dealership with my cars for service. A damn shame.

JP!!! (shaking, slapping and pouring a bucket of cold water over his head) . . . WAKE UP!!!!

You must have been dreming there, buddy!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 08-04-2001, 11:03 AM
sith

Lightning - What shop was it? It sounds a lot like Zimbrick Auto in the Madison area, though that would be quite a ways from you I'd think ... mind clueing us in?
Old 08-04-2001, 12:24 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Dood!

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
Why don't you forward this post to SOA, and then also send copies to your local dealers. We *know* what service should be...telling us doesn't further the cause. (Not that I mind hearing about it).

This is a relatively small forum and while I think you got shafted at your dealership, how can we help? But if you were to write SOA, they *can* and will take some steps to correct the situation. I've even seen franchises yanked for crap like that. (Well maybe that and the owner was snorting most of his profits so he couldn't pay his bills. )
When I had my "Adventure" with the dealership, I did write to SOA. My favorite line in the letter that I wrote was, "I will stop short of accusing them of price gouging . . . oh, no I won't." My letter prompted a quick call offering to fix the "buzz" the car had developed while there (my guess is that they were none too careful with the exhaust while replacing the tranny mount), along with a reiteration that the price of the tranny fix was, indeed, standing at $4,600.00. A subsequent response from SOA was, "These are independent dealerships who set their own prices." So, my letter to SOA availed nothing more than "vent time." I'm sorry if I still sound bitter, but, I am.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-06-2001, 07:04 AM
lightning_8669

The name of the shop I took the car to is Mraz. They are in Brookfield Wisconsin. If anyone wants the number and address drop me an email.

As for letting Subaru Of America in on the problems I've been having my wife, the newpaper reporter/freelance writer, is going to craft something. She's pretty good at getting the name of somebody in a decision making position to listen to her. My guess is I/we will get some response. Hopefully something more meaninful than a free oil change.

And before I come across as just slamming on Subaru alone the problem of poor service is a much wider problem in this country today. We went out to dinner a little while ago and on the ride home I commented to my wife about how wonderful the waitress was. I quickly pointed out I shouldn't be making a big deal of it as that is how service is *supposed* to be and that it was a shame that we now notice it as an exception.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:24 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
The name of the shop I took the car to is Mraz. They are in Brookfield Wisconsin. If anyone wants the number and address drop me an email.

As for letting Subaru Of America in on the problems I've been having my wife, the newpaper reporter/freelance writer, is going to craft something. She's pretty good at getting the name of somebody in a decision making position to listen to her. My guess is I/we will get some response. Hopefully something more meaninful than a free oil change.

And before I come across as just slamming on Subaru alone the problem of poor service is a much wider problem in this country today. We went out to dinner a little while ago and on the ride home I commented to my wife about how wonderful the waitress was. I quickly pointed out I shouldn't be making a big deal of it as that is how service is *supposed* to be and that it was a shame that we now notice it as an exception.
"Service" today is defined by how many times the Walmart & Safeway (food stores) clerk can say "How 'ya doin", Sir. At least they got the "Sir" thing right. This forced interaction drives me nuts, & I'm sure the employee cringes when I say, "Well, ya know, I got this itch, ya know, I think from that poison ivy patch hiding in my azaleas. It only bothers me at night 'tho when I scratch, & further more, yada, yada... I also can't stand it when my doctor asks the same question. What the hell did I get ten blood tests for? You tell ME how I am! Pardon my Andy Rooneyisms, but it all ties together somehow. Ron the curmudgeon.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-07-2001, 03:29 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<I went out and got in the car and on the console there was a package of cookies with a ribbon around it holding on a thank you note. >>

Wait until winter when they put in the chocolate cookies which they don't do in summer (do I really need to explain why?)

I'm glad you liked them. After the first three or four visit's they will recognize you by voice when you call.

<<Their waiting room had a mint Porsche 911 Turbo in it and a *very* comfortable leather sofa.>>
At their old shop, they were teamed up with Reina International Autos so they always had interesting stuff in the showroom like a Testarossa, an Excaliber, or a Panterra

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-07-2001, 03:34 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Damn you lucky SOB's....

I want to go there

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-08-2001, 06:05 AM
lightning_8669

I want to go there

Long commute for some cookies don't you think, Ryan?

There has to be someone in you area that nows how to treat customers. I doubt Brookfield Wisconsin has a monopoly on the product. My guess is you're going to have to search as that type of outfit is pretty rare these days. I wish you all the best of luck. I'd really like to find somebody less than 50 miles from the house who can fix my car if need be, but at least now I know a quality shop exists.