SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: SVX handling

Different seats with a racing harness well also help you to feel more stable in the vehicle.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

I feel neither unstable nor that the handling is bad

As a matter of fact, I think the handling is pretty good. I can absolutely feel the weight in some corners but it's glued to the road and steering is "flat" in the sense that there's neither-nor-steer. I also think the amount of feedback from the car is pretty nice. The power delivery is very smooth. If there's anything to pick on, I'd say that throttle response can be so-so and that brakes aren't my cuppa. I'm having my brakes inspected tomorrow. The "problem" with the throttle is on kickdowns..it seems the TCU has to really ponder the issue for 0.5-1 seconds or so before it shifts down and the pull begins.

So before I go about and test drive Porsches and BRZ etc, I just wanted to know how the SVX compared to respectable handling cars like Miata etc.
I'm ready to f...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
If there's anything to pick on, I'd say that throttle response can be so-so and that brakes aren't my cuppa. I'm having my brakes inspected tomorrow. The "problem" with the throttle is on kickdowns..it seems the TCU has to really ponder the issue for 0.5-1 seconds or so before it shifts down and the pull begins.
Power mode mod!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133

Also I'd make sure the throttle cable doesn't have too much slack.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Power mode mod!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133

Also I'd make sure the throttle cable doesn't have too much slack.
That's an issue right there. I have "ECONOMY"-mode on my stick which uses the same connector you US guys use for the power mode mod. I talked to Phil and he could mod my TCU so I can go into POWER by double clicking the button. When I checked my TCU it's labelled "MR" and the content of that firmware is unknown. The project is on hold until I can get another TCU with MR labels that can be analysed and modded accordingly. I will not put my only TCU to the table.

The pedal is just fine, it's firm and secure on the "floors". It's apparently the TCU that needs to think things over. It occurs only on kickdown. Maybe it's the eco mode, I mostly drive in that.
I'm ready to f...
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
That's an issue right there. I have "ECONOMY"-mode on my stick which uses the same connector you US guys use for the power mode mod. I talked to Phil and he could mod my TCU so I can go into POWER by double clicking the button. When I checked my TCU it's labelled "MR" and the content of that firmware is unknown. The project is on hold until I can get another TCU with MR labels that can be analysed and modded accordingly. I will not put my only TCU to the table.

The pedal is just fine, it's firm and secure on the "floors". It's apparently the TCU that needs to think things over. It occurs only on kickdown. Maybe it's the eco mode, I mostly drive in that.
That is the same type TCU that we have in Australia. Economy instead of Power. I fitted one of Phil's Roms with the Power, instead of Economy map. Works very well, has a ground button to turn it on/off.

That delay is the TCU turning the torque down by 50%, and reducing the line pressure to achieve that Smmoootttthhhhh shift.
Nothing that a Quick Change won't fix.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Harv,

are you saying MR TCUs can be bought in Australia? I need one for the mod. Phil now makes it so that you retain all three modes and activate POWER by double-clicking.

I'll look into Quick Change

If you install one and get that not so smooooth shift, could that easily affect the life of my 4EAT?
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by jetboy; 03-26-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX

the handling on the svx isnt really that great , i have no confidence in it doing hi speed turns

it might be just me coming from and evo x which i can can carve pavemnt from the ground but the svx doesnt feel safe for me,

might be the fact its old and maybe needs new struts or tires are too small

could be the cheezy factory size tires compared to the massive 265s on the evo

also braking on the svx isnt great either,
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
So before I go about and test drive Porsches and BRZ etc, I just wanted to know how the SVX compared to respectable handling cars like Miata etc.
A Miata? Really no comparison. But lets look at it from a more objective point of view. As far as performance, on a winding road with lots of s-curves... Miata, hands down. That is what that car was made for. A total blast to drive. You can carve into the turns with lots of confidence and predictability. You know exactly when the rear is going to break loose and exactly how to bring it back. The BRZ will be the same... a total driver's sports car.

You can say the same about a Porsche. But, a word of caution with a 911. Once you learn to drive a 911, it's a different game. If you feel like the rear is going to go... modulate the throttle in the opposite way. More gas keeps the rear in line. Talk about a mind trip.

Comparing the SVX to these cars is apples and oranges. Compare the SVX to a Jaguar XJS, Porsche 928, BMW 840, Lexus SC, Mitsubishi GT. Cars of that period that were large luxo GT cars.

The SVX is at home in the highway. Heavy, quiet, stable, a GT car. Going into a turn, the SVX will take it well but it lacks that subtle feedback that a smaller lighter sports car can deliver.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
...I just wanted to know how the SVX compared to respectable handling cars like Miata etc.
With 2/3 the mass of an SVX on a much more capable 50/50 f/r split and a steering ratio that doesn't parallel a school bus, the Miata is in a completely different world regarding handling.

The worst bits about getting the SVX to turn well (after modifying the suspension) are practically unsolveable without a lot of loot or sacrifice in practicality - you can't put enough tire on the thing, and the steering ratio is staggeringly slow.

I've experienced four different spring rates, and here's my take:

* Stock - tremendous understeer and more body roll than Roseanne
* Dayle's springs - same, but low enough that the rear tires rub the fenders
* Ground Control 385/315 - much closer to neutral steer, retaining comfort
* Ground Control 385/315 w/bar - as close to neutral steer as you'll get
* Ground Control 450/385 w/bar - mild understeer with a ride the wife will hate

245 width tires are probably as much as you can fit in a civil fashion, and they can't hold up to the mass. Short track autocross will demand r-comps.

The Shadow Machine was great on long tracks because the open spaces would let its power advantage be advantageous. The only reason it had any capacity on short tracks was that speed lost in turns due to lack of rubber could be reaccumulated quickly.

I can give the SVX great credit for stability, and subtle changes can be made well (the video above is a fair example), but you're grappling with a gorilla in substantial maneuvers.

I cashed in my sledgehammer for a scalpel. The SVX is great, but for reasons that don't include handling.

"Looks like a fish; moves like a fish; steers like a cow."
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

I think it does the highway remarkably well but the local country roads are eaten for braekfast, too. I'm a bit excited to see how it works with the plastic bushings but I'll keep in mind not to push it too much. No reason to sacrifice health and a good car.

Maybe I'll just look into that Elan after all
I'm ready to f...