Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Carbon fiber body parts

Just wanted to make a post to see if anyone is seriously interested in carbon fiber parts such as doors trunks etc and would actually buy them if I went to the effort to get with some manufacturers and do the groundwork to make it happen.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: Carbon fiber body parts

anybody? anybody? if no then I may just get some doors done for myself...
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
Big things that would determine is the price and an estimate on the weight as well as whether they will be street legal, work with OEM glass, etc. as far as the doors are concerned.

The fenders don't weight enough that CF will be enough of a cost/weight loss gain. I thought hoods have already been done a couple times, not just FG but a couple people had CF I thought but I could be wrong. As said in the other thread, the trunk doesn't weigh all that much, it is made of FG so you could actually shave some material off of it, and also the design is very complex so CF might be pretty damn tricky. I will try to get a weight of the deck lid if I get a chance.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:43 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Doors would be great, the stock ones are really heavy. How much would they cost though?

I might consider a CF hood, if it's not way too much.

What about a roof panel/sunroof delete?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Yes, hoods have been done, I wasn't planning on trying for the hoods as there are already some really great products out there I.E. Classglass hood through SVXfiles.

However doors and potentially sunroof and trunk were more along the lines of what I'm thinking. Prices, I have no idea at this point as I haven't talked to anyone yet about them. I'd have a reputable CF company do all the work I.E. Seibon or something. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there so I know what to ask about when I talk to these manufactures.

It's not even a for sure thing I just thought I'd try my luck and see what I could get done. I think the doors would be definitely beneficial, and even with how light the trunk is I think it can be lighter.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Johny,

The complexity and shape of the SVX doors along with the glass(es) makes it impossible to duplicate in either CF or FG.

This will work though on frameless doors like the ones of the Impreza or 350z, it will not be a prob. Even for these cars, the doors run at +$1200, so imagine what the SVX doors will cost if doable.

The only way I can see for anyone to shave weight from the doors it to convert the upper glass into plexi, remove the internal strut bar, remove the electric window and convert it to manual with a belt (like old buses lol)... but unpractical and dangerous..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

danny is right doors run between 1,400 and 2,600 typically. Depending on whether or not I'd be able to get someone to make them it may be more or less depending on how many we can get made.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
danny is right doors run between 1,400 and 2,600 typically. Depending on whether or not I'd be able to get someone to make them it may be more or less depending on how many we can get made.
Johny, you got only the first part of my answer and not the second.
In another words, if the SVX doors can be made fully functional in FG, that means that the laws of physics and chemistry do not apply anymore in this part of the Galaxy.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Johny, you got only the first part of my answer and not the second.
In another words, if the SVX doors can be made fully functional in FG, that means that the laws of physics and chemistry do not apply anymore in this part of the Galaxy.
Not to mention a ridiculous waste of $$$ and you are dealing with an SVX community ( no offense everyone) that does not drop big $$ on anything besides maybe a 5 spd swap.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

John, you've got to take this as a completely constructive and not defeatist form of criticism: You're aiming ridiculously high with your "product line".

For the slight sales you'll see (we're not talking droves of Civics here), you're going to wind up eating R&D, and you shouldn't consider this a profitable venture in any form. It should be certain that All We'll Drive didn't disappear due to a lack of talent!

I advise taking a better look at your customer base and your preparedness, both in knowledge and funds, to accomplish what you're doing. Established products, DIYers, and the high cost of one-offs (or even a few-offs) are going to eat you for lunch.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
John, you've got to take this as a completely constructive and not defeatist form of criticism: You're aiming ridiculously high with your "product line".

For the slight sales you'll see (we're not talking droves of Civics here), you're going to wind up eating R&D, and you shouldn't consider this a profitable venture in any form. It should be certain that All We'll Drive didn't disappear due to a lack of talent!

I advise taking a better look at your customer base and your preparedness, both in knowledge and funds, to accomplish what you're doing. Established products, DIYers, and the high cost of one-offs (or even a few-offs) are going to eat you for lunch.
Sad, but completely true...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

^ what they said. Gota keep in mind what kinda market you really have in the svx community. I hate to say it but if you can't move a lot of intakes or headers (i know you havn't made any yet), which are undeniably some of the first mods your average "new to modifying" car guy will replace, I dont know how one can expect uber expensive and unnecessary parts like carbon fiber doors to sell. Esspecially since so many svx's are and will continue to remain daily drivers, not race cars and show cars. Sadly, with so many things that one could make for the SVX (because of the lack of aftermarket support), the demand will always remain fairly low when you compair it to producing parts for say a new wrx.

I truly wish you the best, but you have to pay close attention to your demand and if you can fill the right void it could very well pay off for you.

On another note, i think it would be an excellent idea to assemble a "kit" to convert to a solid bucket valvetrain so that swapping to more aggresive cams would be easier... just a thought, take it or leave it.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

I understand this and my market is no where near SVX specific. I offer parts for all sorts of tuners if you check my website we do all sorts of brands not just subaru. I am just putting out ideas that would help the performance of the SVX. I know the amount of actual people who are interested in certain things is going to be slim to none.

I was more like Nevin being selfish with this one. The doors are heavy period end of story, now whether I do something DIY myself or have someone produce it for me and make it an actual production product that can be sold retail from a manufacturer that is decided from those of you out there.

I'm not going to take anything to heart as I know that the SVX market sucks both aftermarket parts and consumer side. Not many want to fork out the cash and even more of them want to do it themselves. Just wanted to put out ideas, not to be told what I already know but to see if anyone is interested. I know CAI's and headers are where the money's at, and that's why I am starting there. I just thought I'd put out the idea.