Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 AM

Re: New U.K. owner

I guessed it would be better on V-Power and did fill it up with that fuel. Having had a good look today the seats may be very dark grey although the navy blue did blend in, when you look at the back seats they apear to be blue/black/dark grey. A new potential problem seems to have arisen the sidelights seem to stay on, tried switching through to auto then back to off but last night I had to disconnect the battery, went down to the car this morning and found when re-connected lights still on, anyone have any ideas what might of happened?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

The CXD is the only model SVX that has auto lights, i.e. there is a light sensor that automatically puts on the headlights if the sensor detects darkness.

Phil [B3LHA] who has had a CXD like forever reckons it is a feature that can create confusion as it tends to flash on the lights as you pass under a bridge, which can be misinterpreted by on-coming drivers.

In your case I suspect you have left on the parking lights, there is a separate switch and if switched on they stay on regardless of the ignition switch. It is situated right beside the mirror control switch, right side of dash. I never liked the location of it. You don't see if it is on as you leave the car, and a flat battery is the result.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 AM

Thanks thats got it sorted, I have posted up my details but unfortunately after pasting it i put it in the wrong section not too good at posting things on the internet I'm afraid I've got too used to telling my secretary to do things like that for me so I'm pretty useless.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
It will run on normal unleaded because of the closed loop ignition system. What happens is it will detect knock and retard the hell out of your timing. It won't do any harm, it has a knock sensor per cylinder bank, but it will throttle back your power a lot.

The Japanese ECU in your car is tuned for 100 octane petrol in Japan. Best to run it on VPower.

I use Super unleaded plus an octane booster. I find I get the cost of the booster back because the car does better mpg while not driving with ignition retarded all the time.

Joe
is this suitable for uk spec cars?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed-abrar View Post
is this suitable for uk spec cars?
Ahmed the UK engine computer is programmed for UK petrol, so it is a slightly different situation.

Super plus unleaded plus octane booster will give the best driving for a Japanese spec car.

The UK cars need only be fed Super Plus unleaded. If you also add octane booster it will do no harm to the engine, only to your wallet. Unfortunately when an engine is tuned for a particular octane petrol, giving it extra octane will not yield any benefit. Should you decide to run on ordinary unleaded which is lower octane than specified, then the ECU will effectively "de-tune" your engine by retarding the ignition. You would probably notice the lack of power, and it will certainly give worse mpg.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-07-2009, 01:55 PM

thanks joe for those words of wisdom, i am runing my car on reg shell petrol and acheiving about 18/20 mpg on the urban, by using a super how much increase should i hope to get, if any
Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed-abrar View Post
thanks joe for those words of wisdom, i am runing my car on reg shell petrol and acheiving about 18/20 mpg on the urban, by using a super how much increase should i hope to get, if any
You should get 22mpg, and if your engine is tuned well you might get more.

The tuning maps retard the ignition when knock or detonation is detected. As you probably know the optimum conditions for knock are on low rpm and high load. Because the gearbox changes up gear so quickly the SVX is forever running between 1500 and 2000 rpm, which makes it a candidate for lots of knock if the petrol is not good enough.

I would be inclined to think you will feel more power from the car and feel it pulling better, rather than gain lots of mpg.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: