Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 AM

Another old low mileage Ebay car

I always thought this car might be a good indicator for SVX values as the Celica All-Trac came out fours years before the first SVX. They had much lower production numbers and low mileage examples still pull decent money.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290309266255
Old 04-16-2009, 05:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Another old low mileage Ebay car

WOW. I didn't even know they made them in that body style.

I would have cleaned the mud off of the tires first, though. But that's just me.
2001 Audi S8
Old 04-16-2009, 05:46 AM

Cool that he made no effort to dress-up the car for photos.

The lives-in-New-Hampshire/registered-in-Montana bit begs more of an explanation.

All other factors being equal, I suspect the nameplate alone will always make a rare, old Toyota more marketable than a rare, old Subaru.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 04-16-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Looks to much like a Probe.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM

Funny, I kinda like the SVX because it looks like a sleek fastback coupe, like the 93 Probe GT that I used to have, with the SVX having AWD and a more powerful 6-cylinder.

I do like the blacked out roof and fully-flush glass more than the A-pillar-only roof treatment of that Celica or the Probe. I also like the black-roof Acura NSXs over the all-body-color versions.

I especially like yours, RedLightningSVX, a black roof over Barcelona Red looks absolutely fantastic.

That Toyota is probably quite rare. I don't see many of that body style anymore period, let alone All-trac Turbo, beyond the fact that this one has less than 10k Miles. My wife used to have a Corolla GT-S, and I have had an eye for the SW20 MR2 Turbo for a while... but this ebay car is far rarer than both.

My big question is... where are the new cars like these?

Ford has no Probe or Mazda MX6 anymore
Toyota has nothing anymore, let alone as interesting as an all-trac turbo anything.
Subaru hasn't built coupes in the current century.
Acura NSX is dead, and so is it's replacement, as well, and Acura even killed the RSX, and Honda S2000 never came as a coupe, and it is going away, as well.
There is the increasingly ugly RX8, if a rotary appeals to you, and the styling doesn't put you completely off... The chassis is a pretty good one.
The Diamond-Star-Mitsu cars are gone, as are the 3000GT/Stealth. Current Eclipse is a FWD non-consideration, aside from being hideous.

There is the rumored Toyota/Subaru coupe project, based on the Impreza/BL Legacy, but nobody has even seen a design concept so far, and it is probably at least 2 model years off yet.

Hyundai Genesis, Nissan Z, and G37 seem to be the only real players under BMW's price point, and not a retro-tastic Muscle car, or a front-drive econobox.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 04-16-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Looks to much like a Probe.
Thats Funny because if you made that comment in 1988 at the time there was no Probe.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM

how is the underside so rusty for 9000 mile car?

hah last pic is of his escalade.. does that come with the celica?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrac View Post
Thats Funny because if you made that comment in 1988 at the time there was no Probe.
1988 was the first year for the Ford Probe, first bodystyle. it got a slight re-fresh in '90 or '91, and the second gen ran from 1993 to 1997, almost directly simultaneously with SVX, although significantly less expensive, FWD only, and less powerful.

This might actually be of interest to SVX folks... the 1985 Probe V Concept car. Thankfully SVX pulled off much better styling, thanks to ItalDesign. This was done by Ghia, and is mid-engined, with sliding, rather than hinged doors.

Personally, I think the late-80s Celica in the ebay ad is one of the best looking ones, up to the last generation sleek ones, before it got cancelled. The 90's era Celicas were far too jelly-bean for my taste, and the early-80s angular ones were a bit too busy with lots of bevel lines at the edges, and fender flares on the Celica Supra.

The new Toyota/Subaru joint coupe is supposedly going to bear the Celica name again, with a Subaru boxer under the hood... I wonder if that will get "All-trac" treatment...

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 04-16-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Wrong, I own a white 90Gt just like in the picture. 1989 was the first year of the Ford probe.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Even if there was a production Probe in 1988 which there was not as only the MX-6 was being sold at that time. The Celica All-Trac ST165 is based off the same Celica chassis ST162 which is any 1986-1989 Celica ST, GT, or GTS hatchback. Clearly Ford took some cues from the Celica.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Man, I loved my 91 Probe LX with the 6 cylinder. I regret selling that one.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

I like the old Celica All Tracs... they were the bomb.
As for Probe analogies, remember, I built my SVX model out of a Probe.

I'd think this would hold a bit more sway with SVX'ers The 1984 Ghia Vignale Mustang.

This was the precursor to the Probe. In the late 80's when Ford was building the SVO, they were prepping the what became the Probe as the next Mustang. I've seen spyphotos of early Probe clays with running horse embelems on them.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 04-16-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM

I use to have a 91 Probe GT, mmmm turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Funny, I kinda like the SVX because it looks like a sleek fastback coupe, like the 93 Probe GT that I used to have, with the SVX having AWD and a more powerful 6-cylinder.

I do like the blacked out roof and fully-flush glass more than the A-pillar-only roof treatment of that Celica or the Probe....

My big question is... where are the new cars like these?

Ford has no Probe or Mazda MX6 anymore
Ford motor company did replace the probe with the 99-02 Cougar. It was suppossed to be the 3rd generation probe but FMC said "you know what, the probe is in too much competition with the mustang in sales, let's bring back the cougar instead."
Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 PM

The cougar was a similar configuration of a car as the Probe, FWD, 3-door, I4 or V6...

But the cougar was so much frumpier looking, and even so, has been discontinued for a while now. I even tend to like Mercurys, and prefer fox capris to fox mustangs... but FWD Cougars were only surpassed in blandness by the FWD Chevy Monte Carlo and Toyota Solara.

The 86-89 Celica makes most current toyotas, especially Solara, and even tC, look bland and lame. If Ford did pull from it for the 89 Probe, (I stand corrected, I could have sworn 88 was the first year, but 89 is correct.) they could have done worse. That celica, other than being FWD-based, seems like a nicer car than the AE86 Corolla, although FC-3S RX7 is still one of my favorites from that era.

I still hold that it is sad that there are so few affordable, yet fun and stylish coupe options left anymore, compared to the list that existed before the late 90's coupe crash, and the rise of the SUV.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: