Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 09-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
Question Handling: swaybar, and swarbar bushes question

I recently raced against two friends (on a closed circut track) one in an s15 silvia and the other in a liberty rs, both of which killed me around sharp corners. At first i thought it might be the line i was taking (maybe but it wasnt that bad), i also noticed i was entering the corners fast with out any understeer but upon exit i found i had more oversteer than both other cars.

I am aware that my front swaybar mounts (bushes) are swollen from an oil leak. Will this be the cause of my disadbvantage?

I would also like to know if anybody in NSW has had there swarbars or swaybar bushes upgraded, and if so, to what and where?

Opinions would be great, thanks all
Jake

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads

Last edited by -JJ-; 09-19-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 PM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
This is not really going to help BUT
I never get oversteer, in fact it understeers like a bis-tard, with standard setup..

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Was this at Wakefield?? I took my Camry there (on 14inch rims with balloon tires) and screeched the whole way around the track - the understeer was so bad that I could twirl the wheel left and right and it would have NO effect whatsoever...what a hoot!!

Never really found the limits of the SVX (and believe me, it saw some activity!) but only once got oversteer when myself and a motorbike were going along the Old Pacific Highway....a series of hard right, left, right corners heading uphill and with a camber away from the direction of travel (can you think of anything worse by way of combination) saw the back of my beautiful car wave goodbye to its friend at the front and visit the other side of the road....went home at 10kph!!

But I was absolutely astonished how far it had to go before things started giving up

Trackwise I would not bother, its point to point that the SVX can shine

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:04 PM
MisanthropyV

i think if you had no understeer and some oversteer you were driving the SVX like a champion! Chances are you were decellerating into the corners which made the arse of the car lighter, forcing it to oversteer. This is a good thing. Means you were hammering!!! once you have that inertia oversteer, when you put power to the floor, it would have continued to oversteer even though the weight was towards the rear of the car merely because of the inertia already applied to the slide.

It's not a bad thing. It's better to oversteer around a corner than understeer, because you can still take a close apex on the corner.

The fastest way you will find to turn a corner on a racetrack with our cars is to shift the weight of the car into the corner. Your front wheels still steer the car, but you're not counter-steering with an oversteer. You will find that if you practice swinging the car into the corners you will hold your line and maintain exit speed. (I hope you understend. It's hard to explain)

Just remember that AWD cars do have a tendency to understeer, so you need to find a way to prevent that as much as possible. Damn it's hard to type what I want to say.

Don't know about the bushings though...sorry...
Old 09-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
The closed circuit, i was reffering to was a "closed circuit" , if u know what i mean

Also i do understand what you are saying, i know about inertia, and how to handle the car through corners using inertia to weight the car apropriatly to apex the corner, i have practiced with the back sliliding slightly aswell, my only concern was that my two friends killed the corners with less overseer than me... a s15 200 sx (FR) and a modifyed RS liberty (awd), i was just wanting some better handeling, to extend the limits of my car, i dont particularly want to learn how to drift it .. to dangerous

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 09-24-2005, 07:11 AM
MisanthropyV

Oh, I see... "Closed circuit". I think I know what you mean...

Don't know about the bushings, but I think there is a swaybay upgrade someone did. Found it once on ebay... Just thicker metal really. If you find a bushings kit, keep us all posted...!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: