Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 04:17 PM
simonton

cruise control hydrolics

A few month ago my cruise control crapped out on me. But then the whole tranny went out, again and I figured the problems were related.

When i got the trans fixed at a subaru dealer, the car came back and the cruise was still screwed up...

I also noticed that red tranny fluid was stilll leaking out the car when i got the car back. It was the same leak that's been there for months that has lead to the death of my trans at least once. The subaru mechanic im dealing with is kind of a dip****, and when i told him about the leak he said that it was probably the engine. But last time i checked the engine doesnt leak tranny fluid.

So when i was already to make the hour and a half drive down to just show him the red fluid, i realized that he could just fix the cruise control before i got there.

It turns out a hose was disconnected from the cruise control and now not only does the cruise work, but the leak is mysteriously disappeared. I havent spoken to the mechanic, i picked up the car saturday, and he's apparently on vacation or something.

So my question is this: is the cruise control hooked up to the trans so that the tranny fluid flows through it at some point?? I really have no idea how cruise control works... But if there were a hose somewhere in the cruise control system that could leak trans fluid... that would really explain the recent problems with my car. I just would really like to think that it were this simple, and that my tranny problems might actually be resolved.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to freak customs Send a message via AIM to freak customs
i don't think there are any tranny (or otherwise) fluid lines used with our cruise control. it is vacum drivin (someone please correct me if i'm wrong).
Old 07-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Trans problem.

No there is no connection between the two. The hose off the vacuum diaphram is a common problem. Where was the trans oil leaking from, the front or back of the box?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
simonton

the trans oil was leaking from the driver's side, just behind the front axel, directly above the exhaust...

It only seemed to leak after the car had been running for a while

And the mechanic told me that he had it up on a lift and saw no residue on the tranny and concluded that there is no leak.

But there is no doubt in my mind that red fluid was leaking out the bottom of the car about a week ago in the same spot that its been leaking from for months. I know there's a possibility of it being steering fluid, but i also just had the whole system replaced.. by this same mechanic. SO there really shouldnt be any red fluid coming out my car!

But it seems to have stopped.. since i got the car back from the mechanic - and he said there was no leak and only fixed this cruise control hose
Old 07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The cooler lines run above the steering gear on the left side. He probably left a clamp or two loose.