SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-19-2005, 06:42 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Question SVX sighting in NYC.

After visiting the East Village USA exibit, which has gone out today , in the New Museum I took a taxi with my aunt to see my grandfather uptown near Central Park. Now if any of you went to the west side of Manhattan close to the Intrepid there is a giant Sports Center on the docks that has a basketball court golf driving and baseball pitching range among other things. Now after passing that about a block or two down, I wasn't counting I spotted a white SVX with the usual black top. From the corner of my eye I spotted some sort of tuner decal, which I think might have been AEM, I am not sure.

So was anyone in Manhattan on Saturday?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:38 AM

Might have been me, no Tuner decal though.

Did you get the SVX from the LeeMyles shop? If so, how is it working out?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:30 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Interesting you asked

Who knows it might have been you. I say the front of it closely out of the corner of my eye so perhaps I just thought I saw a tuner decal.

And about my SVXperience, deep breath: Ok, here it goes.

About the whole LeeMyles thing, I ended up not buying that SVX, the people there did not take me seriously at all, perhaps since I am a highschool and talked a bit too much for their liking. Sure it did have a new transmission transplanted into it and claimed everything else was in good condition but it also had a tiny crack on the front windshield. Not to mention they also couldn't even set up a time to drive it to the local mechanic shop that is barely 5 minutes away, I can't blame them since they were busy most of the time but since they also didn't take me seriously they never took any priority to bring the SVX there over almost anything.

So I ended declaring that one over with and started looking for other SVXs. I looked on autotrader for a bit and found a nice 25th ann. Barcelona one called the guy and arranged a time to come over to look at it. Well it was more like a couple of calls since either I could not come, since I was pretty much at the mercy of my parents (ok thats stretching it), but we ended up setting up a nice Fall Sunday. So I went there to check the car, mind you my dad was also interested in buying a sporty car, in fact he was looking into a WRX, but he didn't have the cash to fork out for a brand new car. So he took one look at the car and agreed he would pay half the price if he co owns it as well and if the car has nothing majorly wrong with it. Of course that meant before buying it we had to get it to the local mechanic. Now mind you this SVX was half an hour away from where I live by Summit, but the guy we were buying it from (it was actually his wife's car) drove it to the mechanic on his own so he can check it out. Then my dad rondevu with the mechanic and him later to check on what it up with the car. Now when we first say it we saw really miniscule plus barely visible circular dents peppering the top and hood of the SVX which we found out to be hail dents. Also, during a test drive the SVX shook a bit when the brakes were applied which showed bad calipers or brake pads. Later at the mechanics it was discovered that it turned out to be worn front brake pads and a frozen rear right caliper. Organically the car was priced at $4900, which was $200 than the one at LeeMyles, but this one not only had a sunroof you didn't need to push to open, no cracked windshield, not to mention when we first say it has 44k miles compared to the 124k one at LeeMyles and another real problem which I did not learn until later that the one at LeeMyles only came with a valley key. Of course with what we found out about the brakes the priced was heckled and agreed to be $4400 with us splitting it $2200.

After that my dad, spent $700 on new conditioned rear calipers and front brakes pads, even though I kept on telling him I can get a cheaper deal, it is technically his car too. A new set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A Vs bought and installed at the same place where it got an oil and wiper fluid change, even though I knew a palce where I could of got Toyo Proxes 4s for $33 less, needless to say the Traction T/A Vs are great tires. Also later on to hopefully solve any future overheating issues and to proove I can throw money at the SVX too I bought the PWR Aluminum radiator and black silicon radiator hoses from MotorSports Warehouse, they have not been installed yet though. Also it has gone over 45k on the odometer since a couple months ago and is right now my primary car with parents away since my dad had an operation to remove his prostate because he got diagnosed with prostate cancer (don't worry, the operation went well without too many complications and it has been determined as of now of course that the cancer did not spread to anywhere else). He does not really want to make this sort of stuff public. My aunt is here with me though since my parents don't trust me, don't worry though she trusts me more than my parents ever will. Also my mom's 99 Outback would have been our primary automobile for transportation but unfortunately it has been having electrical problems even though its battery has been recently replaced (when you turn the key you here one clank and then thats it, I think the is the twist of the piston rod) and with my dad's 93 Grand Cherokee only able to go RWD because of something to do with the front transaxle being broke. That is on top of the fact the SVX is an outside car with only a good, but none the less only a car cover to protect it (best $20 spent). I also failed to mention that there are tiny parts where the paint is off on the spoiler and a tiny spot on the hood, but I bought touch up paint (exact Subaru factory specific) for it and I am waiting for when my dad comes back from Baltimore, where he got the surgery and is now recovering in a hotel, so we can touch up and give a much needed waxing for the SVX.

Also as of a month ago the Pearl White SVX disapeared off of the LeeMyles lot. If someone bought it or did they take it to a junk yard since it was outside not covered at all for almost a year I do not know. Perhaps I will ask them some time.

Last edited by Weebitob; 03-21-2005 at 03:34 PM.