Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
garybarlow

transmission replacements

"For those contemplating parking their own SVX in the home garage, there are only a few mechanical problems to look out for - transmission wear, noisy wheel bearings and warped discs. It is said that adding a fluid cooler extends transmission life but, in any case, transmission replacements aren't too expensive. It appears that the auto transmission that comes attached to JDM import Liberty twin-turbo motors is very nearly the same as the SVX's and potentially interchangeable - these are often available very cheaply, since most people transplanting a twin-turbo motor usually ditch the auto trans. Note that we've also seen complete JDM SVX half-cuts for $4500."

Is that true? Anyone knows about it?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi

I don't know, however, personally I would not risk it.

There have been enough people on here with niggling issues in using post 94 transmissions in pre 94 cars for me to be extremely wary of using a non SVX tranny, no matter how close they may be.

If it is not a direct swap from one SVX tranny to another without some problems, then there would be no way that I would be using another variant - there could only be more problems

That's my opinion, however, there are also very skilled technical people here who would be able to rebuild one from the ground up so all depends on what you are able/prepared to do

Good luck with it

Cheers

james

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: