SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
5 speed tranny diagnose?

Maybe I should just leave my SVX alone but I can't.

One member pointed out to me that there are two WRX 5mt trannies within 4 hours of me. That's practically next door for Wyoming, where I live. A sign?

Anyway, I haven't called the seller yet but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to look over the 5mt for defects. I've read a bit on rear seal and bearing failure, 2nd gear problems. Apparently, one of them has the improved 2nd gear.

Any thoughts on diagnosis?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed tranny diagnose?

it's hard to tell much with the trans out of the car except if it turns well and does or does not leak. the best method i have found is to find out as much about the car it came from and the driver who had it. if they have a boost controller or totaled the engine you know they abused it. anything like this works. i even try to find an excuse to have them give me a ride in their car (to auto parts store or act really interested in what they drive) to see how they treat their current car. this will tell you as much as you can find out without taking the trans apart. if they let you drain the fluid to check the condition but a lot of people won't let you do that unless you pay to fill it back up if you don't purchase the trans. if they agree forget to bring the fluid and have them drive you to auto store to pick some up.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Maybe I should just leave my SVX alone but I can't.

One member pointed out to me that there are two WRX 5mt trannies within 4 hours of me. That's practically next door for Wyoming, where I live. A sign?

Anyway, I haven't called the seller yet but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to look over the 5mt for defects. I've read a bit on rear seal and bearing failure, 2nd gear problems. Apparently, one of them has the improved 2nd gear.

Any thoughts on diagnosis?
Are either of them from a 2006 or 2007?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

The WRX 5-speed you want is from an '05.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM

Registered SVX

I'm not very good at the little purchasing games but I'll have to give it a try if they're for sale for very long. Thank you.

One is definitely from an '05 WRX and he suggests that both are, why?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Registered SVX

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs...rannychart.pdf

Have a look at this chart.

The '05 USDM WRX 5-speed has the 1.1:1 center diff that lets you use the stock SVX 3.54 rear diff. It also has the high 5th gear that is a good match for the EG33. The EG33 has a lot of low-end torque, so it does well with a high cruising gear. The 02-early 04 ones had a lot of issues, but the '05s had all of the revisions, so it should be very solid.

If it's an '05 and seems to be in good shape, then I'd go for it. Check the serial number on the trans and make sure it matches the serial number in that pdf I linked.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The WRX 5-speed you want is from an '05.
Question...I thougth that the WRX 5 speeds were upgraded in late 2004? Is this true or am I misinformed?

Ray
Old 12-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Registered SVX

They were, but I don't think there's any way to tell that a given '04 is one that's gotten all of the updates or not. (Could be wrong). '05 is a safe bet.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Registered SVX

Wow! Many thanks!

If this one doesn't work out, I sure have a MUCH better idea now.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Registered SVX

Anytime.

Actually I was wrong, the 04s that have the updated guts have a different trans serial number according to that chart.

BTW that chart is not complete and may not be 100% accurate, but for out purposes it will work just fine. None of the newer stuff has been added to it.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Registered SVX

Update: Since there can be a lot of talk and no report of any action, thought I'd report that the tranny is now mine, is out of a Saabaru, actually, and only has 21K on it. I expect to have the swap done by the seller, who showed me his swap in his personal SVX and it's nicely fabbed and feels right for my tastes.

Took my SVX for my first long road trip- about 12 hours. It really is heaven on the interstate. Good thing for me that Montana has a speed limit again.

I'll report with pics when/if this all works out. Thanks, again, for the advice.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 AM

Registered SVX

That will be the first Saab A ru tranny I have heard of . Congrats . Did u drive his ?Is his also a Saab?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Registered SVX

It's the Saab 9 - 2. It is a Subaru with Saab trim on it- very few changes. You probably know that, though. The tranny is a Subaru tranny, just has the Saab name on the car. I did drive his 5-speed and it was an older 5-speed and I liked it but don't think it came from a Saab. The one in the Saab is the '05 WRX that we talked about, so stronger. I could have driven the Saab but had little time so may learn a hard lesson about trusting people. I trusted him completely by our conversations and he has about a dozen SVXs and a Subaru repair shop.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Registered SVX

So he will do the conversion also? Sent u a PM
Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX

Yes, he'll do it. PM'd back.