Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What to do with this car?
Take parts off as needed until I have the means to fix it up. 9 25.71%
Completely part-out and take the frame in for scrap. 7 20.00%
Track car. 7 20.00%
Try to clean up and get roadworthy asap. 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Re: Possibly worst shape SVX ever???

Worst shape SVX ever? I dunno, but it is right on track with my car
Old 05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Heh, I wish I had seen this a couple days ago. I just turned in two usable front calipers (could have used new seals though) as cores to Autozone. I would have sent them to you as a straight up trade for your bad ones, if you paid shipping...

Kind of sounds like this one may be almost too far gone for anyone but the most determined / crazy to take on though
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I dare anyone to look at these pics and not
what are those wheels??
Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 PM

They look like 16" cop-car style steelies. Definitely an interesting mad-max world-gone-awry look.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

This post is very sad. Sending a car to the crusher because the windshield has a crack. One day these cars will be hard to find.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 AM

There has to be some other alternative than crushing these cars.

Glass, metal panels, suspension components... even the most basic parts could be useful to someone someday, when trying to keep SVXs on the road.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
This post is very sad. Sending a car to the crusher because the windshield has a crack. One day these cars will be hard to find.
That was not the only issue. The wiring harnesses were cut up under the hood. Upon dissasembly of parts, there were parts that were replaced but then random bolts were used. It certainly would've been a deathtrap to actually plan on driving for anytime. Also the whole inside of the car smelled nasty from sitting in a barn for years. The people that had the car before me had already begun stripping parts off of it.

I am saving everything from the car other than the dr door which has fist sized holes, and I have no way of removing the quarter panels which also have rot starting.

And the wheels are 16" Nissan steelies.

Last edited by 1986nate; 08-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 PM

yo, that would have looked mint mint with over night parts from japan

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

If it were me, I'd give it a bath, park & cover it. Make a list of what it needs and over the course of x-years replace what is needed. If you have the space, what do you have to lose. Here you cannot keep a vehicle on your property unless it has a valid registration, they will drag it right out of your yard. This area was littered with them 10 years ago, now I see 1 or 2 every 3 months. Even the junk yards have crushed all inventory. If it weren't for the internet used parts would be near impossible to get for a reasonable price. Not to mention the rust that will consume all the ones on the side of the road. If you do decide to part it, please strip it completely. Get out the sawzall and get all you can someone may even need a roof to repair hail damage. Sorry for the rant, I just get sick of seeing these cars drop like flies. Only to be replaced with throw away crap.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Registered SVX

Don't worry, this is what it looks like as of right now

And the front and rear subframes will be dropped out and saved as well. My friends dad (where its stored) was starting to complain about it after a few weeks as vehicles are supposed to be registered here as well. I would love to have acres of land where I could store every one of these that needs some time and the money to purchase every complete car about to be parted out but I don't.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I'd save the glass to if it's still salvageable.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
I'd save the glass to if it's still salvageable.
Was planning on it. Not sure how to get the rear moving glass and motors out though. Seemed like I unbolted everything that would need to from my experience changing out motors/regulaters and still won't budge. Also I heard for the rear fixed glass you can just use a utility knife? I was also thinking about saving the moulding from the windshield to have as a spare "just in case" and then also how to remove the rear window?

thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 AM

Put the body on ebay and craigslist for cheap cheap and maybe you'll get some one who can use it. Never know. Maybe you will get lucky especially if it has a good title. Just my thoughts in hopes that the poor thing wont just go to the crusher... I would cry if I had to watch my SVX go to the crusher. I'm already sad enough that I am in need of a lengthened drive shaft after my 5 speed swap that I do not have the money for. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Registered SVX

Well I guess I could offer up the frame/body on here to anyone who wants to come get it. It still has a clean Ohio title (never transferred it) and no accident history. 101k and it was a 92 LSL car (leather, sunroof, etc)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 PM

is the chassis straight? Lots of rust? blue or brown glass?

My car has somewhat repaired damage, and it isn't completely straight, but it does seem relatively rust free.

The problems are that I have nothing to tow a spare shell like that with...
What was wrong with the car that it became a parts donor, rather than a repairable?

Someday I want to restore an SVX... but I want it to start from a straight and relatively clean (not rotted/rusted, nor bent) body. Black is a fine color to start with, to paint over.

I have a brother-in-law who is a body-tech, who I would have do the work anyway... and maybe even have him store it until I am ready to start, and then once the chassis is prepped and ready for paint, start putting parts on, or even start stripping down my car, or another non-straight-body car, to re-build a show car from the ground up...

But I am not sure that this would be the right foundation for such a car... and the logistics of moving it from Wisconsin to Nebraska... I know of a truck that I might be able to use, but I don't know of a flat-bed trailer to use... and I don't have the budget to start working on anything right now.

I feel a lot like you do, Nate, I wish I had the resources to operate a salvage and rescue operation for any and all of these cars, but some things just aren't feasible on a shoe-string, with no preparation.

------------

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 08-05-2009 at 01:30 PM.