Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
It's getting hot in here

So, now that it's approaching 110 here in Phoenix, I need my AC really really bad. Every day I leave work and it starts spittin out cold air about 2 or 3 minutes after I start...not too bad. Then, it keeps spittin out air as I drive at 75mph for about 25 miles. Then I come to the same stop light every day, sit there until it turns green, and then when I start going again the air gets warm. Every day, same stop light. Then it's a warm/cold cycle until I get home, switching about every 2 minutes. I don't think it's just from the compressor switching off because the air stays cold when accelerating from the 2 stop signs about 15 miles earlier. It also stays cold indefinately when the outside temp is not so freakin hot. Figures.

Anyway, I'd like to clean out my bug encrusted radiator to allow everything to cool better...how do I do that? Do I just blast it from behind with a pressure soaker? Would a garden hose be better (Don't wanna damage the fins)? Could it be something else (compressor clutches slipping cuz it's so hot, belt not tight enough when it gets that hot)? Any help is appreciated.

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Hot Damn! (no pun intended) 110?! It is a very pleasant 65 here.

I would definitely not spray the radiator with a pressure washer. A garden hose would probably be ok. Depending on how much work you want to do, you could use a toothpick to get all the bugs out. I doubt you want to do that though.

As for the ac, is the system charged fully? I would check the tension on the belts, when is the last time you changed them?

It sounds like it is time to head back to MI I disconnected my ac because the tensioner pulley was making noise. It is so cool here thatI don't even need it.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Forgot to mention; have you flush and filled the radiator recently?

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-04-2004, 12:28 PM

I haven't flushed the radiator in the 5 years i have owned the SVX. I emptied it once to install my transmission cooler, but I put the old fluid back in (don't worry...I emptied into a clean container). Last time I did my belts was about a year ago when I did my timing belt. As far as the system charge...about 2 months ago the AC stopped working compeltely. Got it recharged at Jiffy Lube. It held pressure for the 30 minute test they do, but there could be a small leak in the system. Thing is that it only operates poorly in the extreme heat (when I need it most).

Yea, the cool MI weather will be nice compared to the 110's of Phoenix. I'm kinda enjoying washing my car once every 3 weeks to get the dust off. It hasn't rained since I got here in April!!! Just sunny every day.

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 06-04-2004, 12:37 PM

If it's cycling when it's really hot but works well when cooling AND it was recently recharged...then it might be TOO MUCH freon and the trinary switch is kicking in when the pressure gets too high, kicking back out when the pressure level falls back down. Only way to tell is with pressure gauges.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: It's getting hot in here

Have you noticed any lights coming on in the dash when this happens? I don't remember for sure which light it is....I think the power light...probably flashes like when you have a tranny trouble code....but when the transmission gets too hot it turns the ac off. That much I know for sure. At 110 degrees that could easily be your problem, especially if the transmission isn't absolutely 100%.

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
So, now that it's approaching 110 here in Phoenix, I need my AC really really bad. Every day I leave work and it starts spittin out cold air about 2 or 3 minutes after I start...not too bad. Then, it keeps spittin out air as I drive at 75mph for about 25 miles. Then I come to the same stop light every day, sit there until it turns green, and then when I start going again the air gets warm. Every day, same stop light. Then it's a warm/cold cycle until I get home, switching about every 2 minutes. I don't think it's just from the compressor switching off because the air stays cold when accelerating from the 2 stop signs about 15 miles earlier. It also stays cold indefinately when the outside temp is not so freakin hot. Figures.

Anyway, I'd like to clean out my bug encrusted radiator to allow everything to cool better...how do I do that? Do I just blast it from behind with a pressure soaker? Would a garden hose be better (Don't wanna damage the fins)? Could it be something else (compressor clutches slipping cuz it's so hot, belt not tight enough when it gets that hot)? Any help is appreciated.

-Mat
Old 06-04-2004, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
I had the same problem while I was in the hot weather in Florida ....almost exactly the same, but I noticed it to be proportional to the temp gauge ...higher the temp gauge was the warmer the AC was. When I was moving at speeds I noticed the temp gauge go back to normal and the AC get cold again.

Does your temp gauge fluctuate at all?

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 06-04-2004, 09:07 PM

naaa...temp gauge is stable just below half way. I don't think my tranny is 100% though. I've had a few 1-2 flares lately and it's been surging for a long time now.

I went to clean the radiator tonigth. There's no way I'll ever get it clean without taking it out. Rocks and bugs ground into it. Lots of the fins are bent too, so there are areas where air can't really get through. Not sure why they're bent, but they are. Just gettin old I guess.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
naaa...temp gauge is stable just below half way. I don't think my tranny is 100% though. I've had a few 1-2 flares lately and it's been surging for a long time now.

I went to clean the radiator tonigth. There's no way I'll ever get it clean without taking it out. Rocks and bugs ground into it. Lots of the fins are bent too, so there are areas where air can't really get through. Not sure why they're bent, but they are. Just gettin old I guess.

Look for the light on your dash next time you have the problem. That will tell you 100% if it's the transmisison temp signal turning off the ac or not.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Just some dude.

Oh, and you should turn off your manual button if you have it on. That might also be the light that comes on or blinks to signal that the transmission heat trigger has been tripped.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:33 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
Oh, and you should turn off your manual button if you have it on. That might also be the light that comes on or blinks to signal that the transmission heat trigger has been tripped.
i found alot of heat coming into the car as well. You know, heat coming from the tranny tunnel...then the clutch started to feel nice and spongy.... anyways..
phil
Old 06-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

i found alot of heat coming into the car as well. You know, heat coming from the tranny tunnel...then the clutch started to feel nice and spongy.... anyways..
phil
You may not feel it like fill did since your auto is of course hooked up to the tranny cooler in the radiator. Speeking of which, if you do see a light indicating the transmission temp sensor is triggering the emergency steps to cool things down you should get on fixing it right away. If it's a 93 or older definitely make sure the screen over the trans fluid entry to the radiator is not clogged. Change your coolant, making sure it's a 50-70% mix of preferably subaru coolant and water. (I've found the anti corrosion additives in the subaru stuff are better than in the auto parts store suff). Next step would probably be to start looking into rebuilding or replacing your trans.