Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-02-2004, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Guard-TL-
Can you say 18 MPG!!!!!!!

<------PWND!!!!!!!!!!

It sucks to be sitting in traffic 90% of the time (with AC blasting)

-1992 Pearl White Subaru SVX
-1995 Briliant Black Mazda Precidia (sold :'( )
-1996 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 pickup
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...-TL-/20502.jpg

-Taras
Old 07-02-2004, 06:35 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
.....I figure at a steady 65 mpg without A/C the car will probably break....
See, *65mpg*??? this was an old typo. 38mpg??? there's really unbelievableeee...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-02-2004, 06:42 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by Guard-TL-
Can you say 18 MPG!!!!!!!
I've been consistently paying 12mpg-15mpg for 93 gas in the past 2-3yrs since I owned my SVX. This is just purely city driving. And, I believe my SVX is very normal - nothing wrong. My 92SVX is still below 65k miles. I checked with my Professor's 94SVX 90K FWD, and my friend's 92SVX 150K.....they all got about the same gas mileages.

Come to this very hilly town to drive for one week, you will know what is the worst gas mileage you can get.

Old 07-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Damn!

That's SVT Lightning/Dodge Viper territory there buddy!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX
I've been consistently paying 12mpg-15mpg for 93 gas in the past 2-3yrs since I owned my SVX.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Rob

I don't believe that 38 mpg is possible for our cars. I don't care if you drive 45 w/no ac or whatever.......
BS story in my opinion.
If this were true there would be other SVX owners reporting the same info. (Earl????)

I challange you to prove this incredible milage claim.....

Rob
Missoula MT
92 Beautiful SVX (22 to 26)
Old 07-02-2004, 08:54 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Man this discussion has been going on for a while... I think that we established that he had a Math error along time ago... but just to see what it would look like, if he had gotten 38mpg (from 18 gallons) then he would have had roughly 684 miles on that tank!!! That is insane!!! Nope I know that I can never believe that now... The most that I have EVER seen was 408miles before I filled up... Again, my 24.5 mpg showing through with the 5 speed...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 07-03-2004, 02:31 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Damn!

That's SVT Lightning/Dodge Viper territory there buddy!

-Chike
No choice buddy. Who asks me to love to drive an SVX?
With the power, it's an AWD. It's fun and cool to drive. I also enjoy and love to drive my SVX out when it's snowing pretty bad(thick snow, ice) in the winter. It's fun to drive at this hilly town.

Maybe I'm also practicing on how to afford the gas money for the big nice luxurious vehicles(like A8L, ML500, S class AMG etc) next time. Gotta learn, study n work hard.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:36 AM

Registered SVX
Great gas mileage

I was preparing to go from San Francisco back to the Sierra foothills, a ninety mile trip, when I noticed my right rear flat. So, out came the spare, put 50 or 60 pounds in the spare, whatever I was supposed to, put in the FWD chip, and headed down the road.

I have never driven that SVX at 60 mph before. I passed only two cars the whole way home, one of which passed me back on the downside of the Altamont. But, I did get some incredible gas mileage. When I got home, I had more gas in the tank than when I left San Francisco!

Did I mention that I stopped half way home and filled up?
Old 07-06-2004, 03:16 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
mileage

I get about 14mpg in town fairly consistently.

I recently did a stint on the highway of about 500 miles and got low-30s. And that was with heavy, out-of-round aftermarket wheels, some heavy rain, the odd burst of acceleration (only once or twice), a slipping/flaring transmission, and some a/c. I was doing between 55-65 (to keep the vibration down from the bad rims).

I don't know if 38 is possible or not, but I can see downhill, with a tailwind, and a light throttle foot, it *might* be. Benefit of the doubt, I say. I'm not saying it's 100% true, but let's not go jumping down anyone's throat He could have been draghting behind 18 wheelers all the way... who knows.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 07-06-2004, 03:38 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
and...

Quote:
The engineers try everything they can to get the car to have high gas mileage when they do the tests.
Actually, no they don't. The engineers run the car through a predetermined testing procedure that is supposed to measure all cars equally. The number you see on the window sticker is what the car got according to the standardised EPA testing procedure.

Every single car I've owned I've been able to blow away the highway miles per gallon number. BLOW AWAY. I got 46mpg in my 4 cylinder plymouth acclaim, no idea what it was rated for, but you can be sure it wasn't that good. I did almost as good as that (into the 40s) in my dad's 96 Intrepid with its 3.3L 12 valve OHV V6 (man, that car had torque), and that car was also not rated anywhere near that number. I get nearly 40mpg in my 97 Stratus (2.5L 24valve SOHC V6), and could do better if not for my distinctly leaden foot! That car is rated for 18/24, and I get more like 24/36.

The key to fuel economy seems to be:

1) NEVER EVER use your cruise control if you can avoid it. Your foot is far better at saving fuel.

2) Avoid a/c whenever possible; nothing hurts gas mileage like more load on your engine, except for maybe more drag, which brings me to....

3) For crying out loud, keep your windows and sunroof closed. Nothing hurts gas mileage like more drag; Just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*

4) Don't buy big, heavy rims, drag-inducing spoilers, front air dams/diffusers, or other silliness.

5) Inflate your tires properly, and make sure other mechanical bits are in good working order. Nothing kills efficiency like a slipping tranny, grinding differential gears, or a stuck parking brake.

6) As my grandfather used to say: "Tempo dullo" Take it easy. Light on the throttle, don't speed excessively, coast to a stop when possible, avoid abrupt manoeuvres (note: not a typo; Canadian / British spelling).

That seems to be about it. Common sense, no?
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 07-06-2004, 07:19 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I just got 26 mpg on my 450 mile trip of mixed driving. I used a total of 17 gallons. I drove through a decent part of the local areas and I was also speeding between 80 and 90 a good amount of the time with my windows open half the trip as well.

My tires were inflated to 38/33 psi f/r.

I think if I drove 65 the whole way to CT and dont do some crazy 80 mile per hour merges and closed my windows and used vents I could hit 30 I think.
2012 Camry V6 SE