How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-11-2004, 01:21 PM
The Molinator

Question Brake Warping/chatter ~~~~~~~~

I'm having front rotor warping now after a few months of much better braking since installing SS brake lines, EBC Green pads front/Akebono pads rear, and rebuilding (cleaning, new seals) of all calipers. I think the pins on which the floating rotor slides may be the culprit! When I took them apart, one side was "stuck" with lopsided wear (one pad still thick, other pad fairly thin!). I was told to just clean and lubricate with the grease that comes with the pads. Now, someone has said that that grease is not good enough, plus maybe the pin was slightly galled! I have ordered both "pins" for both front calipers since I can't remember which side was stuck before (and I'd like both to be GOOD).

WHAT DO YOU THINK, Guys? Am I on the right track, or what else could be going on? My car brakes about 50% better now! Is that causing increased stress/warpage on rotors? Before these "repairs" only my rear rotors warped (twice in two years). Now it is just the fronts (over just a few weeks/months)! MY FRONT (and rear) ROTORS ARE NOT TOO THIN!!

YOUR COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:23 PM

Don't mean to imply anything, but the "grease" I got with my front pads wasn't grease, but was to be applied to the shims to help with squealing.

other than that it seems you are on the right track, to me anyway.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:40 PM
The Molinator

Brake GREASE! is what I was told it was. Plus a mechanic told me to use it on the caliper pins!

Oh Well!

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 02-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Jim, Question for you. My mech says I've got a sticky caliper on the RF ($140 rebuilt), and I could hear it loud and clear in stop and go over in Antioch last week. He says to replace it. The pads appear to be wearing evenly though? How tough was it to "rebuild" the calipers and did you just go to the dealer for the new seals? Written up anywhere?
Oh, another Q. I installed SS lines on my Legacy. Did you feel they were worth the $$$ ? I felt a big improvement on my Wagon, but practically had to learn how to use the brakes all over again! Were there any "tricks" to bleeding the system afterward? Thanks!

Glenn O

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 02-12-2004, 06:56 PM
The Molinator

IMPROVING BRAKES

"My mech says I've got a sticky caliper...........and I could hear it loud and clear"

First, what did your sticky caliper sound like?

ANS: I got seals/booties from Subaruparts.com (I like them>>usually prompt and prices discounted substantially). If you're mechanically inclined, you can clean calipers and replace seals. It took me some time! I would use brake solvent (spray) next time. I wanted to paint calipers, but heard it was likely paint would come off later when normal operating temperatures were so high! The only real difficulty was trying to replace (front, I believe) caliper piston booties! Finally, I developed a technique where you place piston end of booty onto piston, then rotate back and forth the caliper end of booty into caliper groove (MUST BE GREASED) at outer end of piston cylinder. Then the piston can be slid against booty (already seated in caliper groove) into the caliper cylinder. The booty cannot be placed in the caliper groove AFTER the piston is in place (even if fully seated)!!! I can help you some more with this if you do it yourself.

Obviously, I apparently didn't rebuild adequately (?) because it appears the floating caliper pins are binding still.

Bleeding is straightforward, but there is a sequence you need to follow. Search for that info here or get from an SVX dealer/mechanic. I rebuilt the calipers, installed SS lines, and installed high-tech brake pads all at once, so I don't know what each part played! Wish I did, but I often do 2 or 3 things at once to save time, so I'm always a little in the dark as to which did what!!! I do know my brakes are about 50% better!

KEEP in touch!

Last edited by James Scott; 02-12-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Jim, Thanks for coming back at me. I could hear the RF brake "dragging" when they weren't applied. You know,..."nert,nert,nert"! I'm tempted to try the caliper rebuild, but will have to look at pricing compared to the rebuilt caliper. I think the SS lines are definitely in the picture!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket