How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-06-2003, 01:44 AM
scottswaaley

Arrow Streaked Windows...ahhh!

I can not stand my little baby to be dirty and the streaked windows make it look bad. I'm not that anal...just picky, haha. What is a good way to keep the windows from streaking? I've tried everything and am tired of getting crammed in the back attempting to clean the back windsheild. Help!
Old 01-06-2003, 05:51 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I use...

Rain-X wipes w/anti-fog. You just wipe them on and that's it, if its cloudy or streaky you just wipe it off with a paper towel.

P.S. It does help fog somewhat as well

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Windex works well for me. I have not noticed any streaking problems on the back window at all and I don't clean it that often. Does someone smoke in the car?
Old 01-06-2003, 09:00 AM
scottswaaley

I wish it was that easy

There seems to be some kind of film on the glass. It is all the windows. THey won't stay clean for more than 5 minutes. Could the previous owner (i've only had it for a week) used somethign weird on it?
Old 01-06-2003, 02:14 PM
$VX

Here, I'll help. Buy a product called "invisible glass" marketed by STONER products (not kidding). Anyway, you spray it on your windows, then take a crumpled newspaper and buff. You'd be surprised just how much crap is on your windows even when they 'look' clean.

- Ca$h
Old 01-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: I wish it was that easy

Quote:
Originally posted by scottswaaley
There seems to be some kind of film on the glass. It is all the windows. THey won't stay clean for more than 5 minutes. Could the previous owner (i've only had it for a week) used somethign weird on it?
Is there an aftermarket tint on the windows? If so, make sure you use a PH balanced window cleaner with NO amonia. There are several "tint approved" cleaners on the market.

Some people use a "glass and surface" cleaner on their windows. A big no-no in my opinion. Don't use anything on your windows that could be used to clean your kitchen counters.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Maybe i can shed some light on this subject, i've grown up with a father who is the king of clean freaks. He has every cleaning substance known to man.

Randy has a point with the tint, using cleaners with ammonia can do damage, even on some factory "dip-tint"...however most quality tint film won't be a problem. My bro's camaro has tint and he uses ammonia all the time, ZERO problems. Fact is, in some cases, a cleaner with ammonia is the only thing that will do the trick. I used the CLEAR WINDEX (with ammonia) on mine and mandi's windows for years, always worked perfectly. Then i came across ARMOR ALL's glass cleaner, now i use that. It's a bit more pricey, but safe for all windows and most tints. NO STREAKS!

Another factor that most people don't consider is the towel or paper towel that they use to apply the cleaner. Most industrial paper towels (i.e. - Kimberly-Clark products) have a bonding agent in them that will streak like crazy. Alot of the expensive multi-ply paper towels avalable in grocery stores are a similiar story. And i really would avoid newspaper, i don't know about your local paper, but when read mine, i end up with black fingertips, and that's dry paper. That can't be good for windows. Soaking the paper with cleaners sure won't help the situation either. I recommend the generic single ply paper towels, with no fancy prints or anything.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
And i really would avoid newspaper, i don't know about your local paper, but when read mine, i end up with black fingertips, and that's dry paper. That can't be good for windows. Soaking the paper with cleaners sure won't help the situation either. I recommend the generic single ply paper towels, with no fancy prints or anything.
Actually, where the confusion lies, in this case, is that people use "Newspaper" that has been printed on, instead of blank "Newsprint" paper. If you have access to blank "Newsprint" paper, it actually IS the best type of paper to use to clean glass, even though it seems "stiff." No, never use newpaper that has been printed on. Most newspapers today use soy based ink. Those who don't, still use petroleum based ink (very few, these days, in these "environmentally conscious" times). Neither are good for windows.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-07-2003, 10:25 AM
$VX

If you go to an art supply store you can get a pack of 'newsprint', which is newspaper paper, only its blank.

Use that and INVISIBLE GLASS, an aerosol product by Stoner Chemicals. Magazines have done reviews of this stuff, and its EASILY the best glass cleaning product I've ever come across. To relate to a previous post, I've also had ARMOR ALL GLASS CLEANER, and man, this Stoner product kicks Armor All's ass in. It's really that good! Try it, you will not be dissapointed.

- Ca$h
Old 01-07-2003, 10:28 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
If you go to an art supply store you can get a pack of 'newsprint', which is newspaper paper, only its blank.

Use that and INVISIBLE GLASS, an aerosol product by Stoner Chemicals. Magazines have done reviews of this stuff, and its EASILY the best glass cleaning product I've ever come across. To relate to a previous post, I've also had ARMOR ALL GLASS CLEANER, and man, this Stoner product kicks Armor All's ass in. It's really that good! Try it, you will not be dissapointed.

- Ca$h
Personally, I have to stay away from anything that says "Stoner" on it. I'll have flashbacks. Much like the first Reading meet when I realized that Pottstown was just up the road from Stonersville.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-07-2003, 10:37 AM
$VX

http://www.invisibleglass.com/

Go there. You'll be a believer.

- Ca$h
Old 01-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
I've also had ARMOR ALL GLASS CLEANER, and man, this Stoner product kicks Armor All's ass in. It's really that good! Try it, you will not be dissapointed.
I beg to differ...i've had three people on three separate occasions in my car attempt to wave OUT the window at someone they know, without realizing the window was up. That's funny. Until they sue me.