Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Question Back up light

My back up lights don't work on my 1994 svx all other lights work ok.all fuses are good, where is the back up light switch located at, so i don't have to jack up the car if it is inside.
Thanks Art
Old 06-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ4U2
My back up lights don't work on my 1994 svx all other lights work ok.all fuses are good, where is the back up light switch located at, so i don't have to jack up the car if it is inside.
Thanks Art
Did you check the light bulbs? Did you check for power at the socket?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:07 PM

no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
Did you check the light bulbs? Did you check for power at the socket?
No power to the sockets at all and bulbs are good, I seen somewhere that they run off the same hot wire has some other lights. I look at my 92'S and all look the same, i don't know if it has a switch in the console with the shifter or it is on the transmission itself, I don't want to start hunting for it if it is in one of those places. I tried to find a part # for it on subaruparts but it does not show one there. If it is on the trans i will have to take to the shop to lift it up but if one is the console i can start there.
Thanks Art
Old 06-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ4U2
No power to the sockets at all and bulbs are good, I seen somewhere that they run off the same hot wire has some other lights. I look at my 92'S and all look the same, i don't know if it has a switch in the console with the shifter or it is on the transmission itself, I don't want to start hunting for it if it is in one of those places. I tried to find a part # for it on subaruparts but it does not show one there. If it is on the trans i will have to take to the shop to lift it up but if one is the console i can start there.
Thanks Art
Run a search for it here at the network. I do believe I read on here at some point that it was in the tranny. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:55 PM
<<<Alcyone

I'm voting for the connection being on the top of the transmission . . .

Read through Tom's write-up down to step 11, it's the only step I see regarding wiring and the transmission:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32758

Also, look at this picture (you'll have to sign in) on www.subaruparts.com:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=180-1

You might be able to access it by removing the center console around the shift lever. A quick note to TomsSVX might not be a bad idea, I think he's seen more of those connections than anyone else outside of the assembly line!

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 06-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The switch is part of the transmission. One of the large connectors coming from the transmission contains 2 wires for the reverse lights. The 5 spd how-to's will tell you which ones they are. You can unplug and check the connectors for continuity on the transmission side with the shifter in reverse and short the pins on the TCU side to see if the reverse lights come on.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:42 AM

Question switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
The switch is part of the transmission. One of the large connectors coming from the transmission contains 2 wires for the reverse lights. The 5 spd how-to's will tell you which ones they are. You can unplug and check the connectors for continuity on the transmission side with the shifter in reverse and short the pins on the TCU side to see if the reverse lights come on.
The Switch they call Switch Assy Inhibiter is that the back up light switch. That is the only one i seen on the transmission. if that is the case i am not getting any current from that switch. but i don't want to order one not knowing if that is the only one for sure. Just trying to pass inspection.shop wants to charge me a lot of money just to find the problem and then again to fix it they see the word SVX and dollar signs just go up all over the place.
Thank you
Art