Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-04-2003, 07:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Not to pull this thread too much further OT, but since Tire Rack has been mentioned, does anyone know if they check for proper offset before they recommend wheels for us? I was planning on picking up a set of Moda R1s (16") with Continental ContiExtremeContacts mounted on them to replace the multitude of tires I currently have (there are actually four completely different tires on her right now, I'm really starting to wonder about the previous owners' competence), but I then recalled the "offset issue" and decided I better shoot them an email before I drop almost a grand on them.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Porter

You need to talk to Luke @ Tire Rack. He's their Subaru expert. Tell him you're from an online Subaru club and he'll get you set up.

And yes, they do check offset ranges, but some will work with certain tires on our car and some won't. Luke will be able to help you with that.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:23 AM

The response I got from Greg (I had already sent an email before your reply) at TireRack puts the modas at +45mm offset, which seems to be right at the edge of safe according to this thread. They did say in the email that they do check for fit, but there's more to it than just fit in this case, isn't there (ie load on bearings)? BTW, if anyone thinks we're too far OT here, I'd be happy to post this in a new thread, it would be cleaner anyway.

Since I'm still not fully picturing the whole offset thing clearly, how much will a shorter (assuming thats what this is) offset affect the lifespan of the bearings? If its shorter, the bits and pieces of knowledge I picked up on torque and stresses at college last year would tell me that this will put more shear stress on the outside edge of the bearing, as the weight of the car is not as far offset from it, thus causing a shorter lifespan, correct? Or will the decrease in the torque arm length and associated decrease in shear stress on the inside edge of the bearing offset the increased amount on the outside? Ah, too early for technical thinking ...
Old 06-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Porter

The lower the offset, the further outward the wheels will sit. Higher offsets move the mounting face outward towards the edge of the rim, thus moving the wheel inwards.

A too-low offset will cause the wheel to be too far out, too close to the fender lip. It also affects the track width of the car slightly and the rotational center of the steering knuckle vs. the intended rotational center of the tire tread.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 PM

So does any of that actually affect the load on the wheel bearings? Or is it really just whether or not it fits on the car? It seems like it must affect the load balance somewhat, but I'm not 100% sure how or how much.