Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Rotors and pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
I have the Posi Quiet semi metallic. Ref: the EBC Red, I haven't noticed any difference between cold and warmed up.
That is interesting as they supposedly have mediocre bite when cold. I did more research and found that people really love the Stoptech pads. They supposedly have better cold bite than either the Hawk HPS or the EBC Redstuff but also have good high temp performance. Unfortunately, we can only get front pads for the SVX. I wonder how bad it would be to go Stoptech on the front and Posi-quiet semi-metallic on the rear. They are both made by Centric and are both semi-metallic. I actually contacted Centric and they suggested the posi-quiet ceramics. I asked them why that over semi-metallic and am waiting to hear back from them.

How many miles do you have on your posi-quiets and have you experienced any judder?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
How many miles do you have on your posi-quiets and have you experienced any judder?
Only about 9,000 km. No judder.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

After way too much research I have decided on Stoptech cryogenically treated and slotted rotors for the front and Stoptech standard slotted rotors for the rear. I got all four for $276 on autoanything.com. For the pads I ended up going with Akebono ProAct ceramics. I got the fronts and rears for $96 on rockauto.com. The rotors really have a great reputation and I went with cryo for the front because our front brakes take a serious beating due to, I believe, being underspecified.

The pads were much more complicated. There were lots of semi-metallic, ceramic and carbon-metallic options. The carbon-metallic options from Hawk and Performance Friction consistently got comments about less than optimal cold stopping power. Hawk claims their HPS pads are good when cold but that does not agree with the word on the street. It made me question Hawk which was made even worse by them not returning my email to answer my questions. EBC had a semi-metallic option in their black Ultimax line but I couldn't find much information about them to verify their claims of the pad being anti-judder and good in the cold. On top of that, they returned my email with the suggestion of going with greenstuff (semi-metallic) which is notorious on the street for causing judder. Why would they suggest a pad that causes the very thing I specifically asked to avoid in my email? And their redstuff ceramic also had comments about being less than great when cold. Many of the semi-metallic options were lower end pads which are the ones that are notorious for depositing crud on rotors and causing judder. I seriously considered the Bendix Titanium pads (semi-metallic), as well as their CT-3 ceramic pads. Again, there just wasn't enough data out there to make me comfortable with them as an option. The two names that almost universally got good reviews were the Centric posi-quiet ceramic and the Akebono ProAct ceramic. One guy directly swapped out one for the other and said the Akebonos had a little better cold stopping power. That plus my positive experience with them on the Tribeca made me lean that way.

Now I just need to get Nate or Tom to swap in stainless steel brake lines at some point.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

An update. I had a caliber issue on the Acura so I had to get new rear calipers and pads. I uncovered more information about pads and the Acura. First, the Acura actually has ceramic pads, not semi-metallic. It came with Brembo calipers and Nissin ceramics on the front and Akebono Proact on the rear. Braking power has always been very good on that car so I feel even better on going with the Akebono for the SVX. I also discovered that Akebono tested these pads for judder and they did very well in that long term test. They managed to formulate a good braking pad that doesn't cause judder. Their fade is pretty good too. But for people who drive a little crazy or occasionally do autocross, they also have a street performance ceramic pad. They aren't available for the SVX but they are available for the Acura. I went with those for the Acura because that is the only pad type they offer for the Brembo front Calipers, the Nissin are hard to find here and I wanted to use matched pads.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:37 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

You'll find the Akebonos to be very low dust, too. I've used them exclusively on a variety of cars. Great daily drivers, great autocrossers. They also handle Central New York weather conditions well. I can't vouch for HPDE type endurance, but they should well for your application!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Registered SVX

Any tricks on changing the front or rear rotors and calipers ? Do u grease the new calipers slides always?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn svx View Post
any tricks on changing the front or rear rotors and calipers ?

Do u grease the new calipers slides always?
Always.....

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-30-2014, 05:14 PM

Registered SVX

Just did the brake job.. The calipers came packed with grease and new pins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (809.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Very nice! I wish I had a lift

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX

I am looking into one also. I have 2 friends with them now. Getting on them is a PIA. They are always busy. Really makes it easy.
Actually pretty cheap. Most are under $2,000 seen a few( if u do not need 4 tons ) under $1,700 Northern tool company

Last edited by Conn SVX; 10-01-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
I am looking into one also. I have 2 friends with them now. Getting on them is a PIA. They are always busy. Really makes it easy.
Actually pretty cheap. Most are under $2,000 seen a few( if u do not need 4 tons ) under $1,700 Northern tool company
I did lots of research on this topic. If you get a bigger brand like BendPak they run closer to 3-4k. That doesnt include installation charges if you need that at your location. You also should have enough height and may need to get a wall mounted garage door opener to have enough clearance.

Last edited by theflystyle; 10-01-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Registered SVX

The 2 that I have been using are the under $2,000.
One is not bolted to the floor. It even has a wheel kit
The one shown here was installed by the owner.
He lifts his Ford F 350
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (503.8 KB, 190 views)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I should have mentioned I was looking at 4-post lifts. As to avoid anchoring to the ground and for the added safety. I planned on using a 4-post to store the SVX in the winter months along with performing maint on my other vehicles.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX

This 4 post lift mounts a 2013 corvette on top and a 1964 restored Chevy under it for the winter. It has a roller kit and he can wheel it around un loaded of course. Not bolted. $1,750 is what he paid
Check this out. He does everything with this. Might be $2,000 now. Everything is going up.
Casters included. Beats the carp out of floor jack and jack stand is
All I am saying. Brake job , oil change took a little over an hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (530.2 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by Conn SVX; 10-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

An update on the rotors/pads.

I have been running them for about 1.5 years now. I have not experienced any evidence of "warping" but I am starting to get a higher frequency vibration from the brakes. I don't feel a thing in the steering wheel and the frequency of the vibration seems higher than the typical warped rotor vibration.

Is it something to do with the slotted rotors? Or is it possible that I have warped a rear disc and not the more typical front disc? Something else like a caliper problem perhaps? I have noticed a faint grinding noise coming out of turns that is reminiscent of the sound you get when a caliper doesn't fully release.