How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Restoration Opinions Needed

Hey all. I've finally got my project car running and I couldn't be more proud of it. Problem is, she's not much of a looker right now; some would use the word "rough". I've taken it to a couple body shops to see about having the body straightened out and re-colored and have been floored with the prices they've given me (highest was as much as $10k, depending on what broke during prep).

So my question is this: is it worth spending almost twice what the car is worth to have the work done right (will the car eventually be worth enough to merit the work)?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Restoration Opinions Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post

So my question is this: is it worth spending almost twice what the car is worth to have the work done right (will the car eventually be worth enough to merit the work)?

Never thought I would say this, but NO to both questions. Photos of interior and exterior would help.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
Hey all. I've finally got my project car running and I couldn't be more proud of it. Problem is, she's not much of a looker right now; some would use the word "rough". I've taken it to a couple body shops to see about having the body straightened out and re-colored and have been floored with the prices they've given me (highest was as much as $10k, depending on what broke during prep).

Quite simply put... NO.... The SVX will never have collector value other than "special" ones. Super low mileage, original, etc. And even the chance of them really going anywhere in value is highly unlikely. Perhaps in 30 years? Maybe.

You restore an SVX because you like, no, Love the car because of what it is and you want to enjoy it. You don't do it because you think it might appreciate in value. For a car to increase in value, there has to be a market of buyers. The SVX in fact, has many, many more sellers than buyers and 75% of the buyers today stumble across them and notice the cheap sticker price not fully realizing what they are getting themselves into...
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
... You restore an SVX because you like, no, Love the car because of what it is...
This is why I'm here. I've wanted one of these since before I could drive and I'm proud to be an owner (although mine isn't the finest of specimens). It looks like I need to just start saving my pennies to have it done right.
I've suspected that it will never have much of a monetary value but it means a lot to me. More than anything, I wanted to hear what other drivers have to say about the matter.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM

Registered SVX

I also love my SVX and had plans to restore my older 92, that was until I found my relatively low mileage '97. After purchasing that for about $9000 I was very glad I had the option for an newer lower mileage car rather than restoring my older one. It would have cost me twice the money to get my older car anywhere near what my '97 is and it still wouldn't be as good. I ended up selling my '92 for $4000 so my upgrade only cost $5000 for a practically brand new SVX. Just to re-do the transmission on the 92 would have cost that alone.

If possible I would look for a good low mileage option, they do come around now and then, rather than taking the time and money to restore an older specimen.

1997 Laguna Pearl LSi 39 000 mi 62 000 km

1992 Claret LS-L Sold 105 000 mi 169 000 km

1988 XT6 Written Off 111 000 mi 180 000 km
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
. The SVX in fact, has many, many more sellers than buyers and 75% of the buyers today stumble across them and notice the cheap sticker price not fully realizing what they are getting themselves into...
I was 1 of these "75%" but fell in love with the car after driving it for about a week, I now hope to slowly restore her and even have bought a 2nd one as a parts car. Don't expect to get "Big bucks" for one but we can always hope that with the partouts and engine rip-outs that someday there will be more buyers than sellers.
1992 Teal SVX parts car
Old 07-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

I've noticed that good condition SVX are going up in price, In the 5-8000 range. Having said that it would be very hard to sell one at that kind of price unless you have just the right buyer.

I've put many 1000s into exterior upkeep and maintenance just because I like a car to be as close to new as it can be.

I would ask yourself another question which I pose to people when they look at me as if I had two heads when I tell them what I've spent on a 21 year old car. How much would you have to spend on a new car of equivalent stature and build as the SVX? I'm sure it would be well in excess of $40,000... so 5000 car + 10,000 restoration looks like a pretty good deal.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM

My philosophy, oft' stated here: When I spend three hundred bucks on a car I tell myself, well, now I have to drive it for at least another month to get my money's worth out of it. When I spend six hundred bucks I figure another couple of months. Nine hundred bucks, three months.

Don't spend many thousands on an SVX unless you can see yourself driving it for a good long while, because you'll not make the money back when you sell.

dcb
Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
My philosophy, oft' stated here: When I spend three hundred bucks on a car I tell myself, well, now I have to drive it for at least another month to get my money's worth out of it. When I spend six hundred bucks I figure another couple of months. Nine hundred bucks, three months.

Don't spend many thousands on an SVX unless you can see yourself driving it for a good long while, because you'll not make the money back when you sell.

dcb
I look at it the same way every time I get the Trans rebuilt. Sure I spend about $2500 at a time, but could I have bought another car for that price? As long as I get what I put into it (usage wise), it's worth it for me. I might think twice if it were 10K

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:12 AM

These are some great points, everyone! Definitely given me some things to think about (and some good reasons to go ahead with the body work).
In fairness, the $10k number was given as a number to expect if everything broke on the way off (trim, weatherseals, etc) and it is coming from one of the better body shops in town. They also gave me the phone number to their "budget" guy who will supposedly do a great job with paint that will last but doesn't offer the lifetime warranty of their shop.
Currently, what I think I'll be doing is getting bits and pieces of the body taken care of one at a time to try and spread out the cost.
To those who suggested a low-miles car: personally, I think I have one. With only 96k on the clock I think it's doing pretty good for 17 years old. The interior is dirty but otherwise in good shape. On top of that, the powertrain is in great shape. Once I finally got the top end of the motor resealed and a 4.44 swap completed, it runs like a dream! She just doesn't have a perdy shell like some other examples on here.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
I've noticed that good condition SVX are going up in price, In the 5-8000 range. Having said that it would be very hard to sell one at that kind of price unless you have just the right buyer.
In all honesty, they've been at that price ever since I've been around(or more), which has been nearly 5 years now. I think there have just been more "nice" ones available popping up in the last 1-2 years compared to previously.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

SCOOBYDRVR!

The only question you need to concern yourself with is, "Will it make YOU happy?"!

I've owned my black '92 for 16 years. It took me 14 years to get to the point that I could restore my SVX to the condition that I wanted. Was it expensive? Definitely. Was it worth it? Hell yes!

If you love your SVX, do what's going to make you happy and enjoy it!
If you can't afford to do it now, then, make a plan, and save for the day when you can make that dream become a reality!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 996791_10151569707014681_698543857_n.jpg (91.9 KB, 256 views)

1992 SVX LS-L "Black Beauty" 292,500K (purchased April, 1997 w/65K)
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psz1xmhtdo.jpg

1992 SVX LS-L "Blanca" 214,000K
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pskv0odesa.jpg
2004 Mazda RX-8
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7vggfwfu.jpg
1974 Mazda RX-4
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psentjrygb.jpg
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

This is a problem I've always faced, but years ago made the decision that with my crazy sentimentality and love for MY SVX, I will just stick with it and keep it running and slowly work to make it into my version of the perfect SVX, at least as long as that is somewhat practical at least.

13 years in and still other, more important, issues that would take priority before looking into the much needed bodywork and paint. I can fake it pretty good in the meantime as anyone with this year's SVX calendar will see next month.

As others have said, to take that final (and probably most expensive) step and have the exterior restored the right way, you have to be doing it for YOU and the love... it will not be "worth it" from a financial point of view, so just make sure it will be worth it from your heart's point of view.

I have been curious about something though, and maybe Armando and some others can chime in..... Is there a special way to handle insurance on one of these beauties after they've been restored to such pristine condition? I realize the resale loss aspect and could make peace with that if I knew I was keeping the car a good long time. But it would be harder to swallow putting $10K into restoring a car and a month later getting in an accident and insurance only be willing to shell out $3K for it. That's my biggest concern at the back of my mind every time I think about this, but maybe it's not an issue at all?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSVX View Post
This is a problem I've always faced, but years ago made the decision that with my crazy sentimentality and love for MY SVX, I will just stick with it and keep it running and slowly work to make it into my version of the perfect SVX, at least as long as that is somewhat practical at least.

13 years in and still other, more important, issues that would take priority before looking into the much needed bodywork and paint. I can fake it pretty good in the meantime as anyone with this year's SVX calendar will see next month.

As others have said, to take that final (and probably most expensive) step and have the exterior restored the right way, you have to be doing it for YOU and the love... it will not be "worth it" from a financial point of view, so just make sure it will be worth it from your heart's point of view.
I may not end up going the $10k route for a "proper" restoration; just fix it up piece by piece then get it painted. Sure, it may not have that "mile deep" finish but I don't want something like that... one rock chip and it's immediate heartburn to get it taken care of. I want to enjoy driving it without the stress of ruining the paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSVX View Post
I have been curious about something though, and maybe Armando and some others can chime in..... Is there a special way to handle insurance on one of these beauties after they've been restored to such pristine condition? I realize the resale loss aspect and could make peace with that if I knew I was keeping the car a good long time. But it would be harder to swallow putting $10K into restoring a car and a month later getting in an accident and insurance only be willing to shell out $3K for it. That's my biggest concern at the back of my mind every time I think about this, but maybe it's not an issue at all?
I checked with my insurance company on just this subject. Was more interested in classic car insurance but there was a pretty serious caveat: the car doesn't qualify for it if it is driven with any degree of regularity. "If you drive it to get groceries once a week, that's too often for us" is what she said. So it seems State Farm doesn't have much to offer in this department. Maybe one of those specialty insurance companies (if they don't laugh you off the phone for trying to insure a Subaru)?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
My polo is driven less than 1500 miles annually.
Isn't that like a quarter of Armando's trip to Reading and back this year?

I'm not sure if Black Beauty is his DD or not, but if not, there's a lot of pleasure miles right there in a couple of weeks, with a whole year of cruising the PCH and other things to still take into account.

That's the thing with these cars, they were built to be long distance tourers, and that's why most of us love them and want to hold onto them and keep them (or make them) nice. But we find along with enjoying driving them, especially out West where everything is big and spread out, miles can add up quick, even just for "pleasure".

These aren't the typical classics - 50's, 60's, or 70's cars that drive across town on summer weekends to the drive-in to get a burger or a 100 mile radius for a car show or two (if not trailered for that matter).

I guess therein lies a predicament for some of us - How far do we want to go to mold an early 90's Japanese car into a "classic", while weighing that against how much do we still want to enjoy driving it and enjoying it that way.

For each of us that is going to be a different equation and a different answer.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...