Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Re: I've put my SVX up for sale on Pistonheads

I suppose another example would be the use of the word 'fanny' in the States which I think means a females bum whereas over here its quite a different part of the body
Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW svx View Post
I suppose another example would be the use of the word 'fanny' in the States which I think means a females bum whereas over here its quite a different part of the body
I had no idea about that word (I just had to Google it). I find it quite amusing, especially since those stupid belt pouch things that were so popular a few years ago were always called "fanny packs".
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 03-03-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
How weird is that - twat is fine but b1tch is censored! What are female dogs called in the US then?
As for the old age, I've been getting plenty of time in supermarket car parks as the wife's stopped driving. Seeing the Yaris brigade in action first hand my best car of (my) future would be a Volvo with a framework of railway line welded around it.
What really puzzles me though is why, if you have trouble finishing toilet visits, would you wear trousers that are designed to show stains? Perhaps it's so you can see which side to fish it out from next time.....

Dave you must attend the meet this year so we can have a go in a 500bhp car!
Reminds me of when I took my Lotus out of storage one year I popped into Morrisons to get some fresh baked rolls came out 5 minutes later to find an old boy had just reversed without looking behind properly until the back of my car stopped him if another old person was walking past it would have probably prevented a bit of damage!
Of course I'll bring the car
Its easy to see how words have so many different meanings just with a drop of water between the two countries!

Last edited by DJW svx; 03-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
I had no idea about that word (I just had to Google it). I find it quite amusing, especially since those stupid belt pouch things that were so populate a few years ago were always called "fanny packs".
Sorry I forgot to paste your post when I replied at the bottom of my last post but it does highlight the odd mismatch of words/meanings between two countries who speak the same language but then we all have regional variations in each country.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to paste your post when I replied at the bottom of my last post but it does highlight the odd mismatch of words/meanings between two countries who speak the same language but then we all have regional variations in each country.
not to mention my odd mismatch of typos .
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

On the swearing/censoring front, maybe we should list our countries options on a scale of severity to avoid further confusion. Asterisks abound but I'm sure you can all figure.

1/ C**t Means fanny but also by calling a bloke one it's a good way to start a fight. Not popular with women though
2/ Twat Means fanny or to hit something as in 'I've just twatted my thumb'
3/ Bast*rd Rarely actually means illegitimate child or grade of file. I've often found myself calling my son's this, which is ironic
4/ Fuc*er Can be either endearing or demeaning - He's a dozy fuc*er or he's a clever fu*ker for example

All sorted then now.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Registered SVX

Here in the states it is pretty much the same. Someone actually tried to get me in trouble at work for asking for a bastard file once...I had to explain that I needed a coarse flat file. I eventually gave up on that one, since it was the same person that looked at me like I was retarded when I asked for a right angle die grinder. After explaining to her what it was in elementary terms (you plug it in and it goes wheeeeeee) she says "that's called a dotco (brand name)." I told her next time I needed a phillips screwdriver I would be sure to ask her for a "snap-on". She was still confused.

Sad part is, that stupid **** works in a TOOL ROOM at my work. HA. That's what you get for outsourcing your hiring.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM

I know, there's always one smart ar*e I hear you say....

Henry.F.Phillips bought the design of the self centering screwhead (like the US spelling eh?) in 1934. So even a 'Phillips' screwdriver is a brand name.
Mind you, it took the Japanese bike makers to propel the buggers home so hard we could never undo them without an impact driver.
They also pioneered the practice of the workforce paying for their own grease for suspension bearing assembly.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Just a quick update I've not gone for the CL 55 AMG a very last minute change of mind (which also lost my deposit) has steered me straight to a 2005 Maserati 4200 completely different to the CL I know but a punt on something different led to a test drive which totally changed my mind.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Well hats off to you, Dave. A worthy replacement for an SVX. Be nice to hear how you get on with it so keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Phil & Belha

Awesome.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 AM

Going to now change my user name to 'Dithering Dave' on reflection did not like the flappy paddle change its kinda lurch forward which will prove to be a pain long term.

Once experienced that AMG supercharged engine imprints something in your mind that makes all other engines a bit limp wristed talking of which they actually put that engine in the SL which has the metal roof that comes down so if I can get over the hairdresser image may go for that.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Hi Dithering Dave.

I think you made a wise choice. There is too much dither in the paddle flap gearbox of the Maser 4200. Very jerky trying to park and unpark. It is commonly accepted that the Duoselect is hard to love in those cars, but the 6 speed standard auto ZF gearbox in the newer and utterly beautiful Granturismo is a gem, and suits the cars.

CL as a hairdresser's car? Can't see that, me. Common weapon of choice after an SVX. It provides in spades the one area where the SVX comes up short; stump pulling torque and power. A no brainer as I see it.

Joe

Correction: the SL is actually the usual post-SVX choice. The CL, yeah, I see the hairdresser connection. Failed developer though. Now, avoid their cars like the plague. Such as Porsche Cayennes and so on.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 03-16-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 AM

Youre right there Joe I also tried a late 6 speed manual it was better. My preffered choice is the AMG SL which is the one with the roof that comes down a certain Mr Clarkson on Top Gear has one but that has not put me off its smaller than the CL also the AMG models have a manual mode whereby you stay in a selected gear and go up and down by buttons on the steering wheel its so much better than anything I've tried to date. I have a chap coming to look at the SVX soon and I'm getting the track rods replaced today I'm getting a little clicking on left turns at junctions recently am I right in thinking CV joints.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Youre right there Joe I also tried a late 6 speed manual it was better. My preffered choice is the AMG SL which is the one with the roof that comes down a certain Mr Clarkson on Top Gear has one but that has not put me off its smaller than the CL also the AMG models have a manual mode whereby you stay in a selected gear and go up and down by buttons on the steering wheel its so much better than anything I've tried to date. I have a chap coming to look at the SVX soon and I'm getting the track rods replaced today I'm getting a little clicking on left turns at junctions recently am I right in thinking CV joints.
I would say correct Dave. Probably the rhs CV. It comes under pressure on left turns, but check both for movement.

Yes, to me it sound like the AMG will give the pride of ownership thing, the emotional bond that makes a car worthy to drive.

Joe

{I'd be more put off by Clarkson owning one than the local hairdresser though.}
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl