How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Exclamation Flag this ad!!! parting out a good pearlie!!!

So, a buddy of mine in Rockford needed a power steering bracket as his broke and found a guy with 2 parts cars locally here. Well, he had to work so my other buddy and I decided to go pick it up for him as well as check out the parts cars just to see if he'll sell them as whole, maybe put one or both on the road if they are in alright shape since they have clean titles.

That is when I became pissed off!!! I look in the garage and there is a clean looking pearlie. 142k 92 LS-L pearl. I get to looking around, and looking again, there is no rust at all on the body, all body panels are straight, paint besides being dusty on the top is in great shape, glass is all in tact and in great shape, the windshield isn't showing any signs of separating. Interior has a mice piss smell, but that can be taken care of since the leather is in near perfect shape minus the smell. So I ask the guy if he's willing to sell, how much he'd have to have for both cars, or mainly just this one. He doesn't know, says he thought about getting it running, but wouldn't have a use for 2 of them, blah blah blah. So I ask again, How much do you need to have for this car? He says, well idk, I can probably make more by parting it out!

So I ask how much he paid for them, he says not much, since he bought them both from one guy for probably about $3-400 for both. I offer him $400. He explains he really needs the doors for his driver that is rusting out. Oh, and his driver is a 95 Emerald L AWD that he bought just a few years before with just 39k miles and is now at 68k miles, and this a$$hole is still driving this thing in the winter!!!
So I say alright, what will it take to get this car? You drive this in winter, I have near new winterforce tires on stock rims you could use for winter to protect your aftermarket rims from the salt. I also have 2 rust free doors to give even though you have another parts car with good doors you F%ck! (didn't actually say that, just loudly thinking it at this point). I'll give you any other parts in exchange that you might possibly use or want or need plus the tires, plus some cash, this car needs to be SAVED!!!

He says, I'll have to think about it, but I really think I can get more by parting it out... At this point, I'm about to just slam his head into something to knock some sense into him and just need to go away. I got his number in case he changes his mind, will be sending him pics of my tires, rust free doors, as well as pics of the garage loaded with parts. Hopefully he will realize that it will take a very long time to sell any amount of parts and take me up on an offer to get this car.

So, all I ask, is that everyone flags his ad on craigslist so that way it will be deleted and he can't sell anything. I should have gotten pics of the pearlie. It will take a lot of work to get the smell out of the interior, some of the engine accessories are missing, radiator is missing, transmission is gone, but other than that, is very complete.

http://rockford.craigslist.org/pts/2000040133.html

All you have to do is click the link, flag the ad so it will be removed. Normally I wouldn't care this much, but this car is in better shape than probably 75% of the SVXi out there and definitely needs to be put back together.

I did not talk to the guy or act in the way I am probably reflected here, but this thread does not even show or explain just how pissed I was for a long time. We went over to look at the cars about 7:30 and left about an hour later. I had an upset stomach for awhile, that is how furious I was at this guy's selfishness and carelessness... I am almost always very calm and cool, but this guy just doesn't deserve to have an SVX at all...

Sorry for the rant and everything. Just this day, kinda ruined the trip for me. I almost wish I hadn't seen and didn't know. But hopefully, he will change his mind since he does have the other parts car....

That's all for now, until today I had a great trip and great drive back from Florida.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 PM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX
Re: Flag this ad!!! parting out a good pearlie!!!

Man, that really sucks. This guy sounds like the world's biggest douche.

I can only dream of 'parts' cars in Australia, as with only 250 sold here to begin with. The idea that this phuck head has two SVX and is phucking with you makes me mad too!

I flagged his ad.

Mike
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks Mike, I saw your comment on my facebook as well. I have never been so upset over anything in my life... I wasn't even upset seeing that my silver had been broken into and a retail value $1500 amp being stolen, mainly because my silver was unaffected.... I had to go beat on a parts outback here that my buddy has to help calm me down a bit, but then I'm still not happy when something brings the thought back up...

I'm sorry for the long thread and the rambling, but this seriously sucks... Offering him rust free doors in return, $400+ tires and a few hundred bucks cash, plus anything else he might want for parts, even though he has A WHOLE NOTHER PARTS CAR!!!!!. And like I said, seeing his low mileage 95 rusting and rotting away, just makes me cry inside.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 AM
So many cars, so little time!

Send a message via AIM to Dodge Aries K Send a message via MSN to Dodge Aries K Send a message via Yahoo to Dodge Aries K
Registered SVX

Guy's a serious moron. Uhh heh heh put a chip in and get 300 horsepower. Idiot.

I can also verify the awesomeness of that SVX that's being treated like a piece of garbage... oh... and the very bent core support on the Legacy Outback I am parting out.
1996 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon | 2.2L H4 | 5MT | Offroad project
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 AM

Registered SVX

Oh, and another thing... His low mileage 95 is also being neglected. It has a shot front axle that has definitely been dead for awhile as I took it for a drive, and when you really get on the gas, it pulls badly to the right as little to no power is making it through the fubar'ed axle...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Heyyy calm down man... if he is gonna part out an SVX and make money out of it, have you tried offering him an SVX worthy to be parted out + cash?

I mean if the SVXi he has are that perfect...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:24 AM

Registered SVX

Danny, 1 is a certain parts car, and I have no problem with that one, it has 270k miles, was run through a puddle and the engine hydrolocked. This is why I find it extremely odd that he's not willing to part with the one in great shape. It is far from perfect as it has been sitting for some time, but the paint is still in great shape, no rust, no dents, no serious scrapes or knicks. The leather has no cracks, no wear marks at all. It was obviously taken care of until the point that it was taken off the road, I can only assume from a bad transmission or from an attempted manual swap that never happened as there is no transmission in the car and that is the way he got it. It would need some parts to get running, all of which I have sitting around save for a couple things. And would just need a serious cleaning job of the interior, again, something that can happen very easily. Another thing that bothers me is that in the ad, and on the phone when we talked to him, he mentions that he has the titles. Normally, you don't mention you have the titles unless you are willing to part with a whole car. If you met this guy, you would understand the frustration that I have. I don't currently have a complete parts car as the 2 that I have had, I had already stripped of all usable parts and scrapped the shells. If I had a complete parts car available, I believe he might be interested in a trade plus a little cash or whatever but I do not have one. Even so, as I say again, I offered to trade him just about everything thats usable already stripped in exchange and he would not do it.

The body on this car is still in excellent shape, and the only thing missing from the exterior is a turn signal. Under the hood, it is missing power steering pump, radiator, fans, alternator, transmission and driveshaft, MAF, intake snorkel, and a few other items but all wiring is in tact, etc.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 AM

Registered SVX

As I said, I was also very calm when actually talking to the guy, this is my feelings afterward.
If anyone else feels I'm out of line or that I'm crazy for feeling this way, then so be it, delete the thread, whatever... but I have seen many in worse shape that have been given TLC and stay on the road. I still feel bad to this day about not being able to put the first ebony parts car back on the road. With the knowledge and stockpile I have now, I would have been able to, but without parting that car out, I would not have put 2 others, and kept the one I just picked up the care and kept them on the road.

We'll see what comes of it but I guess I'm better off just sticking to myself....
Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Another thing that bothers me is that in the ad, and on the phone when we talked to him, he mentions that he has the titles. Normally, you don't mention you have the titles unless you are willing to part with a whole car. If you met this guy, you would understand the frustration that I have.
Now you are feeling the same frustration that I had with the owner of the Silver SVX a while back... the only difference is that instead of the title thing, the guy gave me a certain price over the phone and when I went there, he gave me another (higher one).. and I had to do a 2.5 hours trip to get there, some are bad mountain roads...

Compare your situation to mine, you have thousands of SVXi still in the US that you can collect with time. Around 60 SVXi (total including the ones imported from the GCC) existed in my country until 2001 and at least half of them were scrapped/parted up until now. I cannot buy another because I cannot find another... I cannot either import an SVX because they are discontinued now for more than 8 allowable years.

Anyways do not torment yourself with this, just let it go..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Registered SVX

Its make me sad to se that maybe a other svx will be Part out. Hope he just sale it. And not make a mistake.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Driving in Style

Makes me very sad too. This world is in a mess to hold the value of our SVXs to such a low standard. People spend $400 a month for a car that I know they get less enjoyment out of than I do my red one. I do have a parts car, but an exploded tranny, cracked glass, crumpled bumper, no title and rotted cracked interior tell the story... a nice condition SVX should be worth more. I know the $2100 I spent for a rebuilt tranny 2 months ago was worth it to me...

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 AM

Registered SVX

Well, I have some good news to report on this... I got proactive about it and sought out an Emerald parts car with rust free doors, or otherwise just some rust free emerald doors. Huck offered up an SVX that had been hit bad and the drivetrain and most of the interior had been removed as well as some other parts. I Had one hell of a time getting the car back using a dolly but made it safely. So after trying to get ahold of the guy for a few weeks to get him to take a look and not working out, I started to just strip the car of everything useable, literally, everything...

Well finally a couple weeks ago, New Years Eve actually, I was able to get ahold of him and work something out. His transmission developed a failed driveshaft seal and was pissing out fluid pretty bad. Well, instead of immediately parking it and calling a shop after seeing trans fluid on the ground, he decided to keep driving it draining it almost completely empty. So, since I have spare transmissions laying around I we were able to work out that I'd do a trans swap for him and he'd get the emerald doors he needed as well as he wanted the gas tank and gas lines in exchange for this car.

Now, the funny part is the fact that the transmission still worked fine after I dumped fluid in it just to see if it would be usable again and although it slipped slightly when changing gears from all of the clutch material, it actually held all gears just fine even under moderate throttle. So, I still did a trans swap but I'll probably just use the old transmission in the car that I'm getting from him in exchange... With a fresh filter and a couple trans fluid changes every 50-100 miles it should be good to go.

So, I suppose I gave up quite a bit just to get a big project, but I'll be exchanging cars later today and will get pics up of the new pearlie. In my mind, it's more than worth it for this car and the best part is the fact that he's considering trying to get the other "parts" car he has up and running again for his son's first car. I told him that it won't be worth anything were he to sell it since it does have 270k+ miles but that having it for his son would be a great option for it. I also let him know that I'd be more than willing to help him locate parts whenever he decides to start working on it.

I guess I was a little over the top on my feelings that I posted right away, but in the end I decided to be proactive about it and do anything I could to try and save this SVX. I will post updates as much as I can but it is going to need quite a bit of work. There is no transmission, radiator, driveshaft, intake snorkel, and a few other parts under the hood. The trunk hinges are bent and the interior smells like something died but the body is rust free and straight and even under layers of dust, that pearl paint is just dying to be shown off. Sorry for my ranting but I think when I put the pics up, you will see my point.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 AM

Registered SVX

Oh, and pics after the strippage of the parts car... Thanks again to the couple people who helped make this happen

Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Congrats on picking up the Pearlie, Nate. They're a rare and precious thing once the paint is cleaned up, fed and waxed. Looking forward to seeing you put her back on the road! In this case persistence paid off.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

First, congrats on getting the car.

I do have to say that your request to have others here flag the ad to get it removed from Craigslist was WAY OUT OF LINE. It was his car and his choice to do with it as he saw fit. You obviously disagreed and persuaded him to sell it to you but you need to put yourself in his place and think about how you would have felt had someone flagged an ad of your for removal.

Todd