Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 AM

SVX 94 photos (my design...my job)

Hello guys. I just finished my project. It was long and difficult.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52672

A few pictures was shot by me today. I will consent that it looks debatable and will please not all. However I hope you will estimate my efforts on making of unique bodykits for SVX.

Nunquam Non Paratus

Last edited by Farang; 08-17-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 AM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX 94 photos (my design...my job)

More than fair enough, you have one of a kind and it looks very nice.

You have not gone overboard, and what you have come up with is very tasteful. Most important, you have not messed up the practical nature of the original concept. You should be very proud of your workmanship. The wheels are a good choice. So many shown here are downright awful.

Is unfortunate that the rather sensational high lustre you have imparted, does not help photography and reflection gives a wrong impression that the lines of the panels has been upset. You need a polaroid filter.

If someone does not like it, the dislike can only be based on opinion rather than fact, i.e. you have most certainly not spoiled or ruined the car.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-17-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Dimitry, the modifications you have done on your car are really impressive, kudos for that. Yours became as unique as mine...

I want to show you here my version of your version if I may... Sorry for using primitive ways to express myself... you can see below three pictures, the first is yours, stock, the second is mine, modified and the third is the same as the second but showing where it was modified.

How I see it, the front bar below the grille should be thicker in height. The right and left lower sides of the front and rear bumper should be lower (and also have a similar look in a sideview) to flow with the skirts of your car. Again Dimitry, I highly respect your work, your FG finishing look is really clean and rare...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Dimitry, the modifications you have done on your car are really impressive, kudos for that. Yours became as unique as mine...

Quote:

Thank you Danny. I agree with your remarks. I think this will be the next stage of my project. Possibly I will change the form of front and rear bumpers or will use ideas similar from Legacy.

Nunquam Non Paratus
Old 08-17-2010, 05:43 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

If you need any second opinion through photoshops, let me know

The Legacy rears can work, but what will you do with the fronts?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 08-17-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
If you need any second opinion through photoshops, let me know

The Legacy rears can work, but what will you do with the fronts?
I can not exactly form the ideas in my head now. One of them to do something similar the front end of Porsche 911 turbo. But it is not final. May be I will have a time for working as the winter. Time for a decision-making is enough.

Nunquam Non Paratus
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

I want to show you here my version of your version if I may... Sorry for using primitive ways to express myself... you can see below three pictures, the first is yours, stock, the second is mine, modified and the third is the same as the second but showing where it was modified.

How I see it, the front bar below the grille should be thicker in height. The right and left lower sides of the front and rear bumper should be lower (and also have a similar look in a sideview) to flow with the skirts of your car. Again Dimitry, I highly respect your work, your FG finishing look is really clean and rare...]
Sorry I don’t agree as the aerodynamics will be quite severely compromised. There again it would make a better shopping basket as it would certainly not get stuck up on high curbs. It is of course the boy racer fashion, to have everything scraping the ground. Take your pick.

The large air intake is rather out of proportion, but this could be improved and the effect softened, by means of a line across from each side through at centre level, so as to break up the open area into two. At this stage this could take the form of an add on crosswise piece of polished stainless sheet folded into al tear drop form, so that from front on it will fairly closely match the grill surround.

A change in the mould could provide for two smaller slots which would surely be an ideal compromise. Better still and very smart, would be a second surround matching the grill above, forming two inlet areas. However this would be an expensive exercise.

What the hell anyway. Part of the object must have been to create an interesting conversation piece. "Head turner" I think is the term. Success in this regard has now been well and truly proven.

P.S. Having now looked at the Porsche photos, it is clear that if the number plate is mounted within the lower opening, this will help a lot. An SVX logo could be combined with it so as to break up the space even further.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-17-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:31 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Sorry I don’t agree as the aerodynamics will be quite severely compromised. There again it would make a better shopping basket as it would certainly not get stuck up on high curbs. It is of course the boy racer fashion, to have everything scraping the ground. Take your pick.

P.S. Having now looked at the Porsche photos, it is clear that if the number plate is mounted within the lower opening, this will help a lot. An SVX logo could be combined with it so as to break up the space even further.
Trevor, sorry I couldn't understand what you do not agree on? is it the front sides that I have designed? If you are talking top speed, the way he did his front will compromise aerodynamics, since the air will flow hitting the wheels and causing instability (assuming speeds +160Km/hr or +100mph). If you see the porsche's designs, the front lip extends beyond the wheels in a blade shape form.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Trevor, sorry I couldn't understand what you do not agree on? is it the front sides that I have designed? If you are talking top speed, the way he did his front will compromise aerodynamics, since the air will flow hitting the wheels and causing instability (assuming speeds +160Km/hr or +100mph). If you see the porsche's designs, the front lip extends beyond the wheels in a blade shape form.
I was referring to the alleged ground effect which has become part of the current fashion, and therefore becomes part of the cosmetics. One must comply with fashion in order to look cool. From a practical performance point of view cosmetics often must be set to one side. In this instance cosmetics are paramount.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX

i think it was a good idea leaving more clearance in the front, i find with the stock svx suspension being fairly soft that it would bottom out. also it wont smack a curb on those days where you dont realise how close you are when parking

but wow amazing job man!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

It is definitely unique. I'm not a huge fan of that "look" on cars, but I appreciate the hard work that was put into your project. It's nicely done! Not a huge fan of the headlights. It just looks like an older Legacy now. I know that is what you were going for, but the SVX has nice headlights as it is...yellow or not.

Once again....nice work.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 AM

Danny, that do you think about it?

Nunquam Non Paratus

Last edited by Farang; 08-18-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Yes Dimitry, much much better, you definitely need to do this exact design.

The proper way to do FG mods on a car is to start first with an idea and drawing (paper or photoshop or..). Then you should start with the side skirts and measure proper clearance and ramp angle effect. Here is what I am talking about:

That was one of my earliest job with FG which I redid later on from scratch.

After the side skirts, you should starting fabbing the front and rears taking into consideration air flow not to hit the tyres or else there will be drag and instability at high speeds.

Anyways for you I also recommend pushing the upper side of the bumper a little to the front, say 1~1.3 inch, the area extending between the side corners.

If you can imitate this exact picture, especially the hood, that would be really something...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Registered SVX

Nice Job. I really like it
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Thumbs up Re: SVX 94 photos (my design...my job)

I am really impressed! I like it though it isn't specific to my tastes I would definitely have no problem driving it around and it is just well done and executed. Very unique and I like the fact that regardless of anyone elses thoughts or opinions earlier on you didn't get discouraged from what you originally planned and wanted to do. Hmm maybe it is time for another SVX for you to modify so you can just keep doing unique one of a kinds