Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Gas Leak?

Ok everybody... I am having a hard time troubleshooting this one. I don't drive my SVX daily, sometimes it can sit for almost a week without running. I have noticed that every time I start the car up after sitting, the gas gauge is showing less fuel than the last time I drove it. I also took into consideration that the gas gauge could just be reading inaccurately. However, based on the amount of gas the car took when i refueled it, some had definitely gone somewhere.

To begin trying to narrow the focus of the problem, i tossed the old gas cap, and put a brand new one on. With the new cap, nothing has changed. So, I don't think it is leaking out from there.

I am not getting any Check Engine or other lights indicating any sort of problem. Nor have I observed any gas smell around the car. I have stuck my head under it with it running as well as while it has been sitting cold and parked.

Finally, I parked the car over a spread out piece of cardboard to see what is leaking from the car while it is parked. I got a small amount of oil (which I knew about & expected), but nothing else!

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should look next to figure out where my gas is going!? Premium fuel definitely isn't getting cheaper!!

Thanks!

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Gas Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydan View Post
Ok everybody... I am having a hard time troubleshooting this one. I don't drive my SVX daily, sometimes it can sit for almost a week without running. I have noticed that every time I start the car up after sitting, the gas gauge is showing less fuel than the last time I drove it. I also took into consideration that the gas gauge could just be reading inaccurately. However, based on the amount of gas the car took when i refueled it, some had definitely gone somewhere.

To begin trying to narrow the focus of the problem, i tossed the old gas cap, and put a brand new one on. With the new cap, nothing has changed. So, I don't think it is leaking out from there.

I am not getting any Check Engine or other lights indicating any sort of problem. Nor have I observed any gas smell around the car. I have stuck my head under it with it running as well as while it has been sitting cold and parked.

Finally, I parked the car over a spread out piece of cardboard to see what is leaking from the car while it is parked. I got a small amount of oil (which I knew about & expected), but nothing else!

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should look next to figure out where my gas is going!? Premium fuel definitely isn't getting cheaper!!

Thanks!
Hmmm, is it parked in a garage or outside? If its outside, suspect someone popping open your fuel door and siphoning your gas.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 PM

It is parked outside, but i have been noticing this behavior over the course of two months or so. I mean, I guess that is always a possibility, but someone would have to be hitting my car up on a regular basis! I also have my Legacy parked right next to it, and the gas always seems OK in that car.

In the absence of any other explanation, I guess I could go old school with a locking gas cap!

2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
It is parked outside, but i have been noticing this behavior over the course of two months or so. I mean, I guess that is always a possibility, but someone would have to be hitting my car up on a regular basis! I also have my Legacy parked right next to it, and the gas always seems OK in that car.

In the absence of any other explanation, I guess I could go old school with a locking gas cap!
I cant think of another logical possibility. If a leak were bad enough to noticeably drain your tank, you would definitely smell it. If the fuel system was dumping that much fuel in while it was running, it would smoke and run horribly, if at all.

I think the locking gas cap would be a good step, and maybe a note that reads "You're on hidden camera ****face !!" and place it in there oriented in a certain way so you can tell if the door has been opened.

I can imagine gas thieves hitting the same car over and over, especially if its parked in the same position regularly, always has gas, and they take only so much where they think you wont notice.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 08-04-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM

I will hit up an auto parts store and give it a shot! I guess crazier things could happen!

2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
I will hit up an auto parts store and give it a shot! I guess crazier things could happen!
Not that crazy. When I installed DirectTV, sometimes we would leave our company vans in the shop lot instead of taking them home, and more times than not, the next morning the gauge would be on E (after being filled the day before!).

In your case, if its not leaking (no smell), and it happens between drives, then logically some prideless vermin is sucking off your tank.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 AM

after the car sits for a period of time, 4 or more days, does it have a hard time starting right up? for instance, when you turn the key after you just used it today, two cranks and it fires up. then after a week or so it takes more than the two cranks to fire up?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 AM
One teal and One yellow

My SVXi sit way more than yours for sure.
Like a few weeks, if I go to start, they fire right up
with no hesitations and the fuel needles stay at about
the same positions as last time.

If that's your case, that's crazy!!
I never thought someone would do that.
Lot of american cars/some Japanese cars have no lock
fuel gap like us. You can just simply open without needing
any remote fuel release.

Let me us know if your gas mileage gets improved after you
purchased your key-locked fuel cap. Try to park your
car at other spot like brighter or more people can look?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 AM

When you're heading home, fill-up ('til it clicks off) at the station nearest where you live. Next trip, drive directly to that station and top-off at the same pump. You'll know immediately if you've really lost fuel while the car sat.

dcb
Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 AM

I don't think I've ever noticed any problems getting the car to start up. Its usually just one or two short cranks and the car fires right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpert View Post
after the car sits for a period of time, 4 or more days, does it have a hard time starting right up? for instance, when you turn the key after you just used it today, two cranks and it fires up. then after a week or so it takes more than the two cranks to fire up?

2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 08-05-2009, 06:59 AM

Good idea! I also thought of this last night. There is a station about 1/4 mile from my house. I'll fill it up there, and we'll see what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
When you're heading home, fill-up ('til it clicks off) at the station nearest where you live. Next trip, drive directly to that station and top-off at the same pump. You'll know immediately if you've really lost fuel while the car sat.

dcb
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Any update on this? Was it someone stealing your gas?