Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: JDM Power switch pic or explaination plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
no, the [volume] knob is still there on the radio. from the pics i've seen they are identical
Interesting. So wherever you leave the knob, the steering wheel volume buttons can only set lower levels, right? (I seriously doubt there's a little motor inside that can turn the knob up )

Quote:
as for the extra wire that would be thrown into the harness (as per your description), it would have to be wired into the external 'addon' to the aftermarket headunit, correct? which would inturn be plugged back into the deck via its own proprietary connection or w/e
and then programmed from there
Pacific Accessory Corporation makes adapters that translate from OEM SWCs to signals that aftermarket HUs can read. The PAC modules either have an I/R "mouse" that blasts to the HU, or wires that connect directly to a jack on the rear of some HU models.

If the JDM SVX wheel is similar enough to recent Subarus, then it should work with the PAC modules. But the SVX is so old that it isn't a certainty. Once you get the resistance values, you might want to ask PAC's tech support whether it will work.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Registered Loser

I have that exact JDM steering wheel with the steering wheels buttons, connected up all the wires and it doesn't work, I don't think it's wired up to the head unit.

I also have this lying around. After dismantling an SVX I realised that just the little POWER button can be screwed off the shifter and can slide out and be put on another shifter without having to change your WHOLE shifter.... just the little switch... for those who don't know.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
I have that exact JDM steering wheel with the steering wheels buttons, connected up all the wires and it doesn't work, I don't think it's wired up to the head unit.
Perhaps. It could also be that the JDM wheel only works with the JDM radio.

What is the model number on the front of your radio? Does it tune the full FM band for Australia?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
aside from the useless JDM radio range
im stuck listening to some christian rock station because the only place they overlap is like 88-89 fm
If you drive anywhere that has analog TV stations 5 or 6, you can listen to that audio (but only until August 2011 in Canada)
Old 04-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Interesting. So wherever you leave the knob, the steering wheel volume buttons can only set lower levels, right? (I seriously doubt there's a little motor inside that can turn the knob up )
You can turn the volume up and down.
The knob is not a potentiometer. It's digital. You can rotate it an infinite number of turns in each direction. The head unit number is P411 same as the USDM model. Somebody has offered to send me a USDM unit to compare to the JDM one. They can't be very different.

The CD controller is a P611.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
The knob is not a potentiometer. It's digital. You can rotate it an infinite number of turns in each direction. The head unit number is P411 same as the USDM model.
The CD controller is a P611.
Thanks!

The USDM is model P421 and has a pot, so that's a fairly significant divergence. Depending on how modular the radio is, the two might share a few pieces (cassette transport, at the very least). But the display board (which includes the volume knob) will be different, meaning the board it attaches to will also be different.

That dashes my hopes of the USDM radios responding at all to the SWC pin.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks!

That dashes my hopes of the USDM radios responding at all to the SWC pin.
David, this question may seem naive, but I'm posing it in case somebody in the States or Canada is anal or obsessive enough to really, really want a JDM radio and steering wheel fitted and working.

What are the chances that a USA tuner from a 421 could replace the JDM tuner in the 411 head unit?

Assuming the chassis and amp and so on were of a generic line, if the tuner was modular and could be slotted into a JDM radio, then it would be possible to have a fully working steering wheel controlled set-up in the USA.

Do you think this is a step too far? Or could it be more complicated than I am suggesting??

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
What are the chances that a USA tuner from a 421 could replace the JDM tuner in the 411 head unit?
I've been wondering that myself.

I'd say there's a tiny chance there might be some modules which could be transplanted, but I suspect that there's a single board that has the RF section, amps, and microprocessor.

Some newer radios have a jumper (or a trace cut/bridge or diode) that selects between Japan and "rest-of-the-world" FM bands. The best hope would be for the JDM radio to have that feature.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Pacific Accessory Corporation makes adapters that translate from OEM SWCs to signals that aftermarket HUs can read. The PAC modules either have an I/R "mouse" that blasts to the HU, or wires that connect directly to a jack on the rear of some HU models.

If the JDM SVX wheel is similar enough to recent Subarus, then it should work with the PAC modules. But the SVX is so old that it isn't a certainty. Once you get the resistance values, you might want to ask PAC's tech support whether it will work.
through my learning about the SVX... I have always wondered if the steering wheel was in any way somewhat standard with newer Subarus... A new Legacy Spec B, Tribeca, or other new steering wheel, with or without SWC, could be installed on the SVX, or if there would be mechanical incompatibility, or airbag problems.

I love 3-spoke steering wheels so much more than 4-spoke wheels, in looks and ergonomics.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM

for you guys curious about the JDM headunits, i'd be happy to send mine off once i replace it

SVXdc, you seem quite interested in this end of things. perhaps a mutually beneficial arrangement can be worked out
as im sure you'll recall, i will be needing a harness in the near future
right after i get that mutimeter
Old 04-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
through my learning about the SVX... I have always wondered if the steering wheel was in any way somewhat standard with newer Subarus... A new Legacy Spec B, Tribeca, or other new steering wheel, with or without SWC, could be installed on the SVX, or if there would be mechanical incompatibility, or airbag problems.

I love 3-spoke steering wheels so much more than 4-spoke wheels, in looks and ergonomics.
I think the airbag would be the problem. IIRC the newer airbag will not work with our airbag controller. But you could leave the airbag out. Or try and swap the old airbag into the new wheel. Or swap the controller and wiring too. It could be done if you research it properly.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

You could swap our airbag into a new wheel?

James

Airbags scare me..... #1 reason I aint touchin squat in that area
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

let the battery unhooked for 30 min or so and the system will be dead. Then it won't be scary
Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Also absolutely NO static.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
After dismantling an SVX I realised that just the little POWER button can be screwed off the shifter and can slide out and be put on another shifter without having to change your WHOLE shifter.... just the little switch... for those who don't know.
Does anyone have (or know where to find) the part number for this whole switch assembly + mating harness? Or have one they're selling? I'd like to pick up one of these buttons and use it for my power mode mod. All I have now is a little blank plate in that spot.

I have a full parts binder for the SVX, but I think mine only covers US / Canada models, and that isn't in there.