Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Re: New Car and New Garage

Very nice garage and finally recognition that the SVX is not the ideal race car. The new car should be a real hoot to drive. Your garage is considerably bigger and more finished than mine, but I still love the car(s) in it.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1500A.JPG (87.1 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1501A.JPG (102.8 KB, 555 views)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Thank you, Lee, for the nice words about the garage. It was a lot of fun and really gratifying. I was the architect, structural engineer, mechanical engineer and landscape architect for the project. But, I can't give enough praise to my contractor, who added a lot of creativity to solving coordination issues, developing the patterns for the pavers on the patio and the parking court. He also added a lot of detailing on the finish trim that really added to the look.

As far as retiring the Subaru from track work, it's not because it was unsuited for that role. In fact, it was remarkably quick. (14.9 quarter) Evidence below, a weekend of very evenly matched dicing with a 1992 964 C2 Porsche (Note how he has more body lean than I do).

I was really beginning to learn a lot of the subtleties of the car on the track. Initially, I was guilty of over-driving: Turn-in a little slow, then hammer down well before the apex, power understeering (even with the rear tires also drifting) all the way through the corner, and it would rarely turn on you (did spin a couple of times this way). It was much faster (because of avoided power-on understeer) if I carried a little more speed through to the apex of the turn, apexed a little later, then put the hammer down with the wheels a little straighter. Driven well, the car can be very fast, and it is very stable and very forgiving.

Granted the car is heavy, but with my mods, it has good power. The 5 speed and suspension upgrades make it a very different car. I ran well with a lot of decent cars: stock E36 M3's; late model Preludes; pre 2004 WRX's, etc. I can't really fault it as a beginner track car.

The reasons I'm retiring it are straightforward. The car has over 100,000 miles on it. I'm worried about driving it 5 hours to Watkins Glen, then beating the sh!t out of it for a weekend, then counting on it to get me home. I have driven it home wounded, and I have driven a rental car home. Neither is fun. Also, it has the really bad overheating problem, which I've never been able to overcome even with the aluminum radiator. I could trailer it (assuming I fixed the overheating), but it's heavy (3400 lbs with the 5-speed), so I'd need to buy a Peterbilt to tow it. I know, an F150 would do it in a heartbeat, but in my wife's mind, that is the same thing as a Peterbilt. So I want to tow, so as not to be at the mercy of the track gods for my ride home, and I want to tow with nothing larger than my Subaru Outback. That says I'm not towing the SVX.

If I can fix the overheating problem, I could see trying it at Autocross. or maybe taking it down to NJ Motorsports Park ( 1 1/2 hours away). But prudence says don't rely on a 100,000 mile car to get you home after a grueling track weekend.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
As far as retiring the Subaru from track work, it's not because it was unsuited for that role. In fact, it was remarkably quick. (14.9 quarter) Evidence below, a weekend of very evenly matched dicing with a 1992 964 C2 Porsche (Note how he has more body lean than I do).

I was really beginning to learn a lot of the subtleties of the car on the track. Initially, I was guilty of over-driving: Turn-in a little slow, then hammer down well before the apex, power understeering (even with the rear tires also drifting) all the way through the corner, and it would rarely turn on you (did spin a couple of times this way). It was much faster (because of avoided power-on understeer) if I carried a little more speed through to the apex of the turn, apexed a little later, then put the hammer down with the wheels a little straighter. Driven well, the car can be very fast, and it is very stable and very forgiving.

Granted the car is heavy, but with my mods, it has good power. The 5 speed and suspension upgrades make it a very different car. I ran well with a lot of decent cars: stock E36 M3's; late model Preludes; pre 2004 WRX's, etc. I can't really fault it as a beginner track car.

The reasons I'm retiring it are straightforward. The car has over 100,000 miles on it. I'm worried about driving it 5 hours to Watkins Glen, then beating the sh!t out of it for a weekend, then counting on it to get me home. I have driven it home wounded, and I have driven a rental car home. Neither is fun. Also, it has the really bad overheating problem, which I've never been able to overcome even with the aluminum radiator. I could trailer it (assuming I fixed the overheating), but it's heavy (3400 lbs with the 5-speed), so I'd need to buy a Peterbilt to tow it. I know, an F150 would do it in a heartbeat, but in my wife's mind, that is the same thing as a Peterbilt. So I want to tow, so as not to be at the mercy of the track gods for my ride home, and I want to tow with nothing larger than my Subaru Outback. That says I'm not towing the SVX.
Hi Dan! The car and the garage are beautiful. Nicely done

I was going to ask you your thoughts on the SVX as a track-toy but then read your last post. Thanks Young Tom finished my car recently and I have all these ideas swimming in my head about next year!

Todd
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Todd:

What mods did you have Tom make? I assume 5 speed. I know you alreayd had Koni's and Ground Control. I think you will find the SVX a really fun track toy. I hopoe you avoid the overheating problem.

A few words of wisdom:

trailbraking - carefully done, helps the car rotate. On most turns, you should be braking as you head into the apex, instead of accelerating. That also helps you get front end bite and better turn in. That also helps you carry more speed into the corner without excessive understeer.

Full accelerator as you begin to let the car run out after the apex. Full power on with a lot of steering cranked in just gives you a lot of understeer.. In some really tight corners, I come in trail braking, let up on the brakes, then crank the wheel hard over to get my turning done, then full accelerator as I loosen my grip on the wheel and let it straighten out naturally.

At first, I had a tendency to get on the accelerator too early. I woulfd be on full power well before the apex. That was before I really internalized the friction circle. If you are turning and accelerating fully, you will be in a 4 wheel drift, but, it will be unstable. Sometimes the rear end will begin to come around and there is nothing you can do about it, except countersteer, assuming you have room on the pavement. If you've already tracked out pretty far, you may be cutting some grass.

The better line is to carry more speed into the corner, gently braking into the apex, then get down hard on the accelerator at a point where you canbegin to let it track out. Once you get that down, it flies. From this, you can see that the car likes a very late apex. Get your turning done early, under trail-braking, then your acceleration run out of the corner will be straighter. Believe it or not, your exit speed will be higher, because you carried more speed into the corner and had less scrub coming out.

The rain is wonderful. All of a sudden, you are the fastest car on the track.

I haven't been on the track in 4 months, I guess you can tell. It's a real hunger.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 11-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Dan,

I have two SVXen. Tom converted my '92 LS-L with 147k miles to a manual. It has only KVR drilled front rotors and their brake pads. Otherwise it is stock down to the original struts and, right now, 13 year old RE-95 tires My '95 has the suspension, brake, seats, harnesses, too many sets of wheels and tires and Stage 1v.5 chip.

I'm trying to decide how much I want to destroy the '92's street manners/capabilities by gutting and prepping the car. Both SVXen are extra cars for us and I have my own Peterbilt tow rig I really want to do some track days next year so the '92 makes the most sense to mess around with for these events (higher mileage, lower value). I can swap the suspension (or get off my duff and finish the double adjustable suspension) and the seats/harnesses to that car. We'll see...

Todd
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The 92 sounds good. You will absolutely want suspension work. OT's two mods are good. I don't need to sell you on the GC/Koni fix. I have 335 lbs/in front nad 285 lbs/in rear, which seems to be stiff enough for track work, and yet not unreasonable for the street. Note my lean level in the picture above vs that of the 964. I have had great results with AXXIS Ultimate brake pads on the front. They odn't fade and last a pretty long time (4 to 6 track days) I also really love my Bridgestone RE01-R's. Great for rain or dry. They don't talk to you as much as the BFG G-Forces I had previously, but they have better overall grip and talk enough to let you know what is going on.

Have fun

Old 11-08-2008, 02:02 AM

Registered SVX

Such an awesum looking garage. I so want an big one like that. all i have is the lawn and concret pad to work on
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: New Car IT'S HERE

It's here. My daughter and I preparing for our first drive. It didn't get here until about 3:30pm, so only had time for a couples of rides around the block. Next weekend. The provisions for NJ registration detract a bit. The heat shield for the exhaust is downright ugly, and the windshield isn't the most elegant, but...

Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Dan,

Good Luck. The car looks great! Enjoy it.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Damn I must say I am jealous =D.
Very nice

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Thank you all. I will report on track days next spring. Who knows, if I could cure the SVX overheating problem, it could still go out on the track, especially if the forecast is for rain.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I love your garage

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 12-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Network Design Administrator

I think the EZ Pass unit on your front tag while racing is awesome.

I can see it now, Track Fees paid via EZ Pass.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Registered SVX

nice everything. btw my 92 SVX lsl is rocking those same wheels, courtesy of the previous owner, and its same color, so that car is a twin.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 12-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Looks like the SVX may be back on the track again by the end of this year. I was thinking about selling it and buying buying a Cayman S, (mainly to get access to the good track days that the Porsche Club has), but I couldn't do it. So, it looks like a total refurb, built NA engine, refurbed and upgraded suspension, ulimately, body detailing and a good quality respray, interior redo and maybe seat upgrade, an electric water pump, and a radiator cap that really seals . Plus whatever else seems like a good idea.

Addiction is a terrible burden.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: