Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Frequent User

Re: Race engine for my race svx.

The human body is the ultimate precision measurement device
Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 AM

Registered SVX

FWIW, I wired my fans to be on high speed all the time, with a PWR radiator. Still overheated. I think the key is airflow through the engine bay...the SVX is just so slippery that most air goes around it.

Matt
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

The crank is done. I'm revising the blueprint and resuming assembly today.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Just some dude.

Figured I'd post some pictures while I have my lunch. I have the heads ready to go on but I'll probably stop for the day after putting in the pistons. I'm still recovering from the flu from hell and need to take it kind of easy.

Ok, so here's the crankshaft ready to go in after re-checking it and updating the blueprint.

Here's a rod ready to install on the crank. We're using OE rods in this build in order to qualify for a particular race class which allows custom exhaust manifolds. The bearings are of course the ECUtune coated high silicon aluminum bearings. I've coated the bearings with moly-graphite assembly lube and the thrust surfaces with the arp assembly lube. I've left the engine oil laquer on them to help protect them during the ocean voyage to Australia. I also put a light coat of moly-graphite assembly lube on all the pins and journals before installing the rods.

After installing the rods I sprayed the whole thing down with wd40 to prevent rusting during the ocean voyage to Australia.

Here's the block right before being assembled around the crank. All the bearings are coated with moly-graphite assembly lube, the o-rings are installed, and sealant has been applied to the appropriate places on the mating surface. The pin holes on the rods are coated with arp assembly lube.

And here's the assembled block after checking the break away pressure.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Michael,
Clean, very clean! New stock Subie main bolts, with ARP bolts for the rods and ARP studs for the heads?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 11-12-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Just some dude.

I hit a bit of a snag yesterday. It turns out I have six 2-4-6 pistons and no 1-3-5 pistons. I spoke with the engineer and he spoke with the factory and they are immediately putting six 1-3-5 pistons into production. They said they should have them done for me by the end of next week and will express ship them. Of course then I have to send them out for coating.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Just some dude.

I figured as long as they are sitting in the way of doing anything else I'd take a picture of the heads.....

I'll give the manufacturer a call tomorrow and see what I can find out about progress on pistons.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Just some dude.

I've been told the pistons are done. There's going to be a bunch of shipping back and forth of them still but they should be right this go around. We went the extra mile to try to make sure we don't have to do this again. Since the block is already assembled we won't be changing the bores so we needed to make sure the diameter of the pistons comes out right. I marked the gage point on one of the pistons and wrote it's measurement at the gage point according to my micrometer on the top of the piston and we shipped it back to the factory. That allows us to get an aggreement on our standards to make sure their 97.Xmm = my 97.Xmm.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Just some dude.

If anyone has a burning desire for the 2nd set of high compression pistons shoot me an email.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Just some dude.

The 2nd set of pistons is now spoken for.

And from the tracking info it looks like they should be arriving monday.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Just some dude.

The new pistons are in and checked out. I'm sending the three for Tony out for thermal barrier coating tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Can't wait to see the final product (assembled engine)!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Just some dude.

Tony's cams are on the way now. I had approved the master for the new intake cam a while ago. When the pistons checked out I had them go ahead and grind the cams so they will be here at the same time and we can finish this engine off without any further delay.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Mike:

Can you walk me thru a description of these cams, or point me to a thread or post that describes them: lift, overlap, duration, and, I forget what it was called, but there was another metric that had to do with the integral of the area of opening and cam rotation, would be in the units of in2-deg, probably. We identified that some cam profiles had long duration, but they opened and and closed fairly slowly so that the open area over cycle was not as great as might be expected from the overlap. (I might be confusing this with a disucssion I saw in another forum).

Would these cams be suitable for light street use and track-days?

thanks
Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Just some dude.

What you are remembering is that cams that open slowly can sound large by their seat to seat durations while a lot of that time is spent with the valve not very far open and cams that open quickly can sound small by their seat to seat durations but have a lot of time where the valve is very much open.

All of my cam profiles are fast opening and are generally larger than people expect by their seat to seat durations. I no longer post data on them in the forums but actual customers get full plots of both cam profiles (I have the cnc data for every half degree of the masters) laid out according to crank rotation so that they know exactly what they are getting and can design their exhaust system accordingly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: