Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
SVX Jihad

Send a message via AIM to louis Send a message via MSN to louis Send a message via Yahoo to louis
took the plunge!

well, I now own the svx. my first car is my 19th birthday present to myself.

yay.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Congratulations. As a three-time offender (SVX Owner) I can say that it's a fantastic car that should treat you well, so long as you treat it well first!

I echo many of the comments around here; that the SVX can be a big "high maintenance", and will become a thorn in your side unless you're willing to turn a wrench yourself... and often.

While none of my SVXi were BAD cars in that they were constantly breaking, often the things that did broke took a lot more work to fix than many other cars I've ever owned. But buying parts myself and doing the job myself more often than not allowed me to get back on the road relatively quickly save for some gremlins that took me a year to track down while my 96 languished in a garage.

No, the SVX won't handle as well as some... doesn't accelerate as well as some... but it makes one of the best balanced cars I've ever owned. Even though I now own a really nice BMW 330i that is a blast and has long legs like my SVX, I do miss my 96 occasionally. It's just with kids, I really needed those back doors. A week with two kids and a coupe made me realize the error of my ways

Congrats again... happy birthday... and you'll definitely enjoy the car. Oh, and never be afraid to ask questions (after using the SEARCH function!!!); there are some great, friendly and knowledgeable people on this board who'll be happy to help you keep your SVX running.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:38 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post

yay.
Congrats. You will love it and it will love back. Just remember to keep an eye if something feels off and ask lot os questions. Oh and being 19 good luck in the insurance. LOL I know I love my LSI's costs. But this is one of the best comunities to get good answers and lots of help. The only real problem you'll find will be once you go to change... ANYTHING! But yes a few thing will match up from other Subarus. Good luck and have fun.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 09-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
mistake, unless your folks are gonna front the cash for your repairs, go get a honda. Im ditching my SVX right now. You will learn quickly that it takes too much time, money, and just straight BS to own one of these cars. not a good first car, sorry, but i know from experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post

yay.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 PM

Good luck with the car and don't let the last post scare ya. If ya love the car it won't matter and many people own them with minimal expense put into the car. Just your routine maintnance.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:06 PM

that trans along with the rotors have 130k on it, more than likely need to keep an eye out. Did the last owner replace the rear bearings? dont know.
when you buy a car for 2500 expect to put at least that much(if not more) back into it to get it back to 100%. All im saying is poor choice on first car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotking View Post
Good luck with the car and don't let the last post scare ya. If ya love the car it won't matter and many people own them with minimal expense put into the car. Just your routine maintnance.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX PlayBoy View Post
mistake, unless your folks are gonna front the cash for your repairs, go get a honda. Im ditching my SVX right now. You will learn quickly that it takes too much time, money, and just straight BS to own one of these cars. not a good first car, sorry, but i know from experience
thats why its more of a car for enthusiests than for people that just want to be ordinary....i choose enthusiest and have put in a new engine, brakes, paint, oil seals, wheel bearings and exhaust....and i dont regret any of it
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 PM

first i am a huge car enthusiest i own the svx, a turbo 97 gsr, and an old datsun 280z. I have put plenty of work into all my cars, and the svx has the worst money spent to gain ratio. Tomsvx is an amazing guy and he has built a truly amazing car. Ask him how much he has spent, and, dont quote me, has just hit the low 13's. my gsr did that um....9 months ago. Im saying, hes 19, like me, living on his own, if that car needs to be put in the shop, hes screwed. i too have reaplced an engine, brakes, new seals and gaskets, and exhaust, your not the only "enthusiest" to do that. im saying, as quite a few people before me have, this is not a good choice for a first car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050 View Post
thats why its more of a car for enthusiests than for people that just want to be ordinary....i choose enthusiest and have put in a new engine, brakes, paint, oil seals, wheel bearings and exhaust....and i dont regret any of it
Old 09-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
playboy.. you are looking at 2 totally different kinds of cars with the gsr and the svx.
look at the weight differance between the 2, i am betting the gsr is a manual.
The SVX is not the car for you... that is a personal decision. You made it.
Louis has just purchased an SVX... let HIM decide if its for him or not.
The SVX isnt a race car, it was never designed to be quick.
It is a touring car, you can alter it to make it quicker... but it isnt going to be a vette, DSM, STi...
I have a LOT of respect for the guys making their SVXs into reasonably quick and well handling rides.
One thing I think they have in their favor is that they KNOW it isnt going to be the quickest, fastest, best handling car out there... nor are they budget cars to modify.
Sounds like you expected huge gains for the outflow you put into it.
You have a heavy platform that doesnt adapt cheaply to forced induction.
You start there and go forward knowint whats ahead.
You do that and you shouldnt have any complints if you thought things out well.

Louis, congrats on your first car. For better or worse... it will be the 1 car you remember for the rest of your life

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Since I've bought my car, I have been fixing it. It has become a monthly routine working on it. When one month goes by with no problems, I miss being under the hood. Crazy?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:23 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I've had my SVX a month and only needed to replace some belts, brakes pads, and a wiper blade. Total Cost: Around $50 (for some other tools too). Do I think that's a horrible investment? No.

Note also that the SVX is the first car I've owned as well. Maybe mine was just lucky and better maintained, but I haven't seen anything on it that would give me worries. I would have no hesitation driving it for long distances.

Like I said, I don't think it's a good first car for someone who doesn't know how to use ratchets, but for anyone who's willing to wrench themselves, it's not a problem. Heck, I was sitting in my apartment parking lot with the car on jackstands messing with it.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi

Last edited by Manarius; 09-16-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:49 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Since I've bought my car, I have been fixing it. It has become a monthly routine working on it. When one month goes by with no problems, I miss being under the hood. Crazy?
I know what you mean... Mine is out of commission at the moment too. Waiting on new radiator hoses... I really miss being in the Marines and going to the auto hobby shop EVERY weekend and just putting it up on a lift and cleaning and replacing different parts... It was so much fun for me...

I'm pretty sure that my next car will be a Subaru... Either that or a Volvo... I haven't decided just yet because I'm not ready to get fix of the SVX, and when the time comes to get a new car, I won't be getting rid of the SVX then either

<-- *Enthusiast*

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Mine got the crap kicked out of it, so it was an interesting experience fixing everything. If you're willing to put the effort into it, you can learn a lot by working on these cars.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:12 PM
SVX Jihad

Send a message via AIM to louis Send a message via MSN to louis Send a message via Yahoo to louis
rotors and tranny were both done 5k ago. not sure about the bearings - what'll that run me?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:18 PM
SVX Jihad

also, how do I tell what number svx it was (in terms of overall production)

door jam plate said it was made dec 91 but it's registered as a 93 somehow.