How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Custom exhaust

Hey there, well yesterday I replaced my stock muffler with a Flowmaster (the one used for Camaros, one inlet and two opposed side outlets) and two dual tips and I'm very happy with the results. The car sounds great, deep and throathy. But then I saw that the existing exhaust system have like 4 cats well, two cats comming from each head, and then a Y pipe that goes to another two... resonators?? Cats??

Well, the thing is that I want my car to be a bit louder but I dont want to affect the pitch tone so Im thinking of getting rid of the whole system and make my own custom piping. But I want to hear some opinions first.

I was thinking... Make new pipes coming from the manifold, with no cats, then get a Y pipe and then a high flow catallitic converter and just go all the way back to the flowmaster. The question is, should I put the O2 sensor before or after the high flow catallitic converter?? Or should I use or not the cat and just let the entire system with a free flow?? Or should I use two high flow cats and then the Y pipe???

Suggestions??
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I would imagine your SVX is from 92-95?? Meaning it is OBD I correct??

If so, then make 2 pipes w/ 02 sensors into a high flow 2 in 1 out cat. Then through a single straight through resonator and then back to the muffler... Send a PM to svxfiles (original Tom)... he knows a couple great setups for the SVX in several different stages

Tom
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned

All SVX's have 3 cats. Two right after the manifolds, and one 2-1 cat. The last part you see is a resonator.

PS: Where are you getting the exhaust work done? I took my SVX to over 10 shops, and all of them quoted me over $700 for simply fixing the 2-1 cat.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
All SVX's have 3 cats. Two right after the manifolds, and one 2-1 cat. The last part you see is a resonator.

PS: Where are you getting the exhaust work done? I took my SVX to over 10 shops, and all of them quoted me over $700 for simply fixing the 2-1 cat.
I got the Flowmaster, two dual chrome tips and 3 pieces of custom piping all installed for only $400. Got everything done in 30 minutes.

Its called America Mufflers, 255 E Southern, Mesa AZ. they are 2 mexican guys, but I can hook you up.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I would imagine your SVX is from 92-95?? Meaning it is OBD I correct??

If so, then make 2 pipes w/ 02 sensors into a high flow 2 in 1 out cat. Then through a single straight through resonator and then back to the muffler... Send a PM to svxfiles (original Tom)... he knows a couple great setups for the SVX in several different stages

Tom
Yes indeed, 92. ODB 1

I've never seen a high flow 2 in 1 cat. Where can I get it?? and what kind of resonator?? What happens if I dont use a resonator?? Is it going to sound like a Honda??
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM

www.jegs.com usualy has 90% selection of anything that exists as far as exhaust parts goes. close to 100% on common stuff.

If you want quiet, I advise two "resonators" or drilled core glasspacks of different lenghts, and one muffler. Doing this allows one of the N1 style ricer exhausts with all straight through mufflers/resonators to be quieter than most companies "quiet" systems with a single resonator, and a restrictive baffle muffler and small tips. Or atleast it does on a WRX/STi.

The principle is that the two resonators/glasspacks of different lengths prevent the exhaust from resonating at one specific rpm band. If that happens, you don't enjoy life. The wrx I had back in the day was loudest at 2,500-3,000 IIRC, but it was without a doubt louder at that certain rpm band at part throttle, than it was a redline at WOT.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You definitely don't want to remove the two secondary cats without replacing them with some sort of resonator - been there, done that, and you end up with a nasty resonance at ~2800 rpms.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
You definitely don't want to remove the two secondary cats without replacing them with some sort of resonator - been there, done that, and you end up with a nasty resonance at ~2800 rpms.
-Bill
I get it, so what kind of resonator you guys recommend?? A universal resonator??
Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
magnaflow makes a good pre-cat that will eliminate all issues with removing the stock ones... magnaflow also makes the 2in 1 out cat you will want... Aero makes a pricey resonator that I and OT use... def. worth the cost

Tom
Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Whatever resonator you get, make sure it is "solid" in design (versus fiberglass packed) because you don't want pieces flaking off and fouling up your brand new main cat
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM

So for the Y pipe Cat, would you recommend the one with the built in O2 sensor adapter??... Actually Im not sure if my car haves one or two O2 sensors....

Theres this one with no O2 sensor

Then this one

And this one

According with the catalog the "straight" 2 to 1 with no oxigen sensor is the one that should fit my car. Only $90 bucks, not bad.

So is this the Aero Resonator you guys recommend??

Only $85 greens, not bat too.

The only thing missing will be the custom built headers
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
yes and yes. The AERO piece is pricey...make sure you don't get the same one that YT and OT used, as they both have supercharged EG33s which need the larger input/output pipe sizes. You'll want ones with 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 OD pipes.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
-Bill

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR NO STINKING RESONANCE WITH OUR 6 INTO ONE HEADER Without cats!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
What can you hear?

Guyver, if you just want a louder note with a great tone it's best/cheapest/easiest to drop the muffler altogether and just throw some resonators/glass packs/ whatever on.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
What can you hear?

Guyver, if you just want a louder note with a great tone it's best/cheapest/easiest to drop the muffler altogether and just throw some resonators/glass packs/ whatever on.
Sounds pretty much like a boxer sans the exhaust from well the block back.