Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM

Registered SVX
It mounted under the chassis rail that the rear bumper crash support thing goes through. If you pull yoru rear bumper off, and see the two holes that the support bolts through, you'll know what I mean. It also had two bolts through the spare wheel well floor.

As to the brakes, my problem is rally tyres are only available in 15", therefore, I am running 15" wheels, and whilst the wheels fit fine over the rear brakes, the 301mm front discs are a whisker too large. So hence, I'm machining them down to WRX (294mm I think) and then whacking on the 4 spot calipers.

Only got a few more coats of paint to the cage, then I can start putting things back in...yay!!

As to the engine, we were originally going to go all out, but the costs to do so, on an essentially untested rally package, were a concern. So instead, we'll probably go for compression and ECU in the first pass (using LAN's big injectors) and see what we can see. My point of reference has always been that WRX with the stock EG33 using only an Autronic, and essentially standard elsewhere...didn't he get a good improvement? And we know that the AFM and injectors are close to maxed out anyways (but lets not start that discussion again here...there's plenty of threads for that elsewhere).

Cheers,
Matt
Old 10-12-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
(using LAN's big injectors) and see what we can see. My point of reference has always been that WRX with the stock EG33 using only an Autronic, and essentially standard elsewhere...didn't he get a good improvement? And we know that the AFM and injectors are close to maxed out anyways (but lets not start that discussion again here...there's plenty of threads for that elsewhere).

Cheers,
Matt
If you must stick with stock, then LANs ECU would work. Problem is, he is the only one that can tune it, so when you start changing stuff like the compression and cam profiles it might not be suitable. Also the injectors he is using are way more than you need. You might save some money by going to stock 95 96 nissan 300zx turbo stock injectors. There are a lot of guys replacing these and going with the nismo 550s. The 750s are pretty big. I think LAN got them bc they were the same price as 550s and they gave him flexibility in case he lowered the compression on his S/C kit. Too bad you can't use stand alone.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, I DO intend to run a standalone.

And sorry Bill, but the hitch is already removed and the rear bumper bar is back on. I'll see if I can hold it in place temporarily and get some shots if you like...won't be perfect.

Matt
Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM

wow this is really getting somewhere he wasnt bluffing hes going for it!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM

Stand alone

Quote:
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, I DO intend to run a standalone.
That is great. Any idea what you will run? It would be nice if you could run that great Aussie management Motec. I think it costs more than your car did though. Let me know when you are ready to start tuning. If you wish, I will send you my tec 2 timing advance files. You will want more resolution below atmospheric, but it might be a good place to start.

I don't recommend the Tec 2 system. There are much better systems out there now. But it is quite possible that you could pick one up used fairly inexpensive. I have a pretty good sensor location setup I could help you with, along with a machined crank sensor holder. There are some aftermarket lightnened pullys that would work well with the new crank sensor (if that is allowed by your rules).

Good Luck

Chuck D.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:28 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks for the offers Chuck, I'll definitely take you up on that when I can.

A couple of people in the rally scene in Australia are starting to get some successs from the Megasquirt ECU's. They are cheap, easy to tune, and fairly easy to make, and given that they've been tested in the rallying environment (very harsh), and work great, I'm pretty comfortable with them.

I've previously had Motec's, Link's, Microtech's and Megasquirts etc...and the Motec has stood out by far, but feature for feature (of what I need), the Megasquirt has the resolution and tuning options that will suit me.

I've got the Megasquirt sitting in a box. It's just waiting to be made. At this stage, I'm tossing up using the SVX loom and connectors and making the Megasquirt a plug-in, or going for a completely new loom. I suspect what ever I do, it will be a hybrid.

I finished the painting of the cage last night...re-hung the passenger side door, re-fitted some of the seals and put the boot (trunk to you) lid back on. From the back left, it almost looks like a car again!

Tonight is tackling the wiring loom for the rear of the car, stripping out unneccessary wires as I go.

Then this weekend I hope to fit the dash back in with all the associated front wiring loom too.

I'll be busy busy.

M
Old 10-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
i agree with that 100% i have tuned motec maps but once you get megasquirt set up it is by far the best, not to mention the cheapest by far
Old 10-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Matt what are your rules like down there? I was thinking a few years back about rallying an XT6 but it is 8ccs or something like that too large for the normal classes. It'd be in with all the big displacement vehicles.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX
G'day,

Our rules are a pretty limited actually.

In essence, body and all panels and glass have to be stock, suspension is free from where it mounts to the car (so arms and brake components are free), engine has to be the factory engine, and factory manifolds, but all else is free (save for number of valves and their orientation is fixed). There's more, but in a nutshell, that's it.

Essentially then, this car is in the same class as Evo IX's and Spec C's and older WRX's and Evo's.

Matt
Old 10-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
G'day,

Our rules are a pretty limited actually.

In essence, body and all panels and glass have to be stock, suspension is free from where it mounts to the car (so arms and brake components are free), engine has to be the factory engine, and factory manifolds, but all else is free (save for number of valves and their orientation is fixed). There's more, but in a nutshell, that's it.

Essentially then, this car is in the same class as Evo IX's and Spec C's and older WRX's and Evo's.

Matt
Yeah, here the displacment dictates class 2.65l and lower (then all the classes like production, mod etc). and 2.65l and up. I was just curious to see if you'd be running against rwd holdens and the like.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Yeah, here the displacment dictates class 2.65l and lower (then all the classes like production, mod etc). and 2.65l and up. I was just curious to see if you'd be running against rwd holdens and the like.
So then find a way to decrease either the bore or stroke then that won't be an issue.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
So then find a way to decrease either the bore or stroke then that won't be an issue.
Hmm.. You want me to call Subaru, put the car back into production so it can have a sub 2.65l engine for the production model huh? I think they'll hang up on me.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:40 PM

Registered SVX
Actually I should add, because the car is 4WD, it's automatically in the 4WD class (hence the comment about Evo's and WRX's).

If it were 2WD, then capacities come into play.

Matt
Old 10-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
I think they'll hang up on me.
Only after they say "but the Forester XT is already under 2.65 liters"
Old 10-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Hmm.. You want me to call Subaru, put the car back into production so it can have a sub 2.65l engine for the production model huh? I think they'll hang up on me.
I was thinking more along the lines of sleeving/pistons or custom crank/rods.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: