How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2002, 09:39 PM
svxed

Unhappy 5sp conversion

OK I have a 92 SVX with a grenaded trannie. I am getting a 5sp from a 92 legacy and all the components to make the change.(ie flywheel bolts pedals shafts third member. What type of clutch would you guys recommend? Also I am un clear how the awd will work with the 5sp connected. I know the auto does that 90-10 thing but how about the 5sp. NO TCU right? Is it just a switch if so do I need to find one? Is it all time or some split or what. Does anyone know what gears came in 92 legacys? If Someone can help that would be great. Thanks in Advance!!!
ROB

1992 SVX (BaBe)
1971 Skylark Convertable (BOB)
1995 RAM (Brawn)
1993 Civic (Booring but reeeeeliable)
Old 04-04-2002, 05:53 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Use a ACT clutch & pressure plate (subaruparts.com has them)
Brian Steel has put one in his and says it handles the toqure of the 3.3 fine, I've got a cheap one in mine and it slips under hard launches.

The Subaru manuals don't use any electronics in the AWD they run 50/50, can vary a little, but it's all mechanical. you will need to hook up the Neutral safty switch to a switch on the clutch pedal and hook up the wires for your reverse lights, but that should be all the electronics you have to mess with...Oh yeah you have to bypass the column lock at the auto shifter harness too.

The 92 Legacy should have the 4:11 gears, unless it was a Turbo which would have 3:90's, you did get the matching rear diff didn't you? you can't run the SVX geared rear diff with the Legacy Geared tranny, you need to swap the Legacy's rear ring and pinion gears into the SVX rear housing to keep the LSD rear(plus use the original SVX rear Axles)

Hope This info has been helpful.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-04-2002, 07:23 AM
svxed

Smile Thanks!!!!

I did get the rear diff. I'll get a act clutch and start putting it together. I can't wait! Thanks again for the good Information!
Rob
Old 04-05-2002, 12:31 PM

Guys I have an itch and I am prepearing to scratch it!

The conclusion is that I have to buy also the rear differential from whatever Subaru I find AND

I have to change some of the pinions on the SVX rear diffrential with ones from the donor.

In other words we can not just drop in the "new" rear differential.

Correct me if I am wrong!

Also could somebody (or everybody) list the certified list of donors?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:48 PM
svxed

Question 5sp question

Ok I have my 5sp from a 92 legacy but I have a question about the clutch cable connection. The clutch cable connection on the trans side seems to have two hook ups. One that connects to the throwout bearing fork and the other to a bracket near the starter. My problem is that the cable seems to pull the wrong way. I have never seen it installed in a legacy. Does any one know how the installation of the cable should go? Is there another bracket I didn't get? Does anyone have a parts or picture brakedown of the trans and cable assembly? Thanks for all the help!!!

Rob
Old 04-12-2002, 11:12 PM
MRieger

5 speed, choosing

Beware, when choosing a 5 speed. Generally the tougher transmissions have hydraulic clutches and the cable clutches should be avoided. They also do not have viscous centre diffs only the turbo variants.

The early turbo transmissions (‘92 to ’94) do not have the same front and rear diff ratios for the 3.9 final drive, due to having very different internals, they have a 1.1:1 transfer ratio and a 3.545 rear diff, this gives an overall 3.9 ratio. The newer WRX and Legacy twin turbo can vary depending on country or purpose, usually 4.444 or 4.111, sometimes 3.900. I’m not sure on the transfer ratio, but I think it’s 1:1 for later turbo transmissions. Will post update is I discover this is not the case.

Anyway, just be aware of the strength of the transmission you choose and know which diff ratios are required at each end.

You might also want to have the viscous centre of both centre and rear diffs checked while everything is in pieces, they do wear out. Or change them for something better.

The viscous diffs centre and rear make a big difference, for the previous four years I have had two Legacys, one has viscous diffs centre and rear while the other doesn’t. Most noticeable on uneven or loose surfaces under power. The difference is the ability to accelerate flat out with a rooster tail of gravel or spin one wheel with jerky acceleration. An SVX 5 speed without the viscous diffs would be a step backwards.

I had a look at a WRX STi (206 kW, 280 hp) on the show room floor yesterday, bigger turbo, 6 speed, brakes like serving plates and water spray are some of the distinguishing features. Nice showy wing too. BTW an SVX does not need a 6 speed, but if you modified the power to be very peaky it would be handy. My favourite is still the Legacy RSK twin turbo, similar price, and power, but different drivability and practicality. The local dealer is selling about two a month of each (about US$30,000 on the road), and they have only been sold since December. Not bad considering the population serviced is only 150,000!
Old 04-13-2002, 06:50 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 5sp question

Quote:
Originally posted by svxed
Ok I have my 5sp from a 92 legacy but I have a question about the clutch cable connection. The clutch cable connection on the trans side seems to have two hook ups. One that connects to the throwout bearing fork and the other to a bracket near the starter. My problem is that the cable seems to pull the wrong way. I have never seen it installed in a legacy. Does any one know how the installation of the cable should go? Is there another bracket I didn't get? Does anyone have a parts or picture brakedown of the trans and cable assembly? Thanks for all the help!!!

Rob
The cable should pull the clutch fork toward the front of the car when the clutch pedal is pressed this will push in on the pressure plate springs, adn release the clutch.
There shold be only one bracket on the tranny near the starter, and the clutch fork, you adjust the tension on the stationary bracket.
Hope this helps,
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-14-2002, 10:43 PM
mindless

6 speed tranny handy for peak performance?

I'm kinda new to the SVX and all involved mechanics, but when I read about the post telling about the 6 speed, it attract my attention. What is the parts that would be needed to fit a 6 speed from the WRX STi or anything into the SVX?

Second question, I've read in the SVX FAQ that they share the auto tranny with the nissan pathfinder and the mazda MPV and I was wondering if any of these vehicules got a manual tranny and if it could be fitted in the beloved SVX?

That's all I want to know, for now ;
Old 04-15-2002, 03:19 AM
MRieger

<<I'm kinda new to the SVX and all involved mechanics, but when I read about the post telling about the 6 speed, it attract my attention. What are the parts that would be needed to fit a 6 speed from the WRX STi or anything into the SVX? >>
Parts are the same as 5 speed conversion front half of a WRX STi would help, everything from the flywheel back.

The 6 speed ratios fit around the five speed ones, and is fitted to the WRX STi because the engine is very peaky and enables better use of the small high torque range. Subaru offer two vehicle with nearly the same power, one WRX STi with large single turbo and 6 speed, 8,000 rpm redline and the Legacy RSK, two turbos and a 5 speed and 7,500 red line. Result is the STi requires more involvement to select the right gear and if the turbos is not spooled up, bad luck, good for the race track. While the RSK has nearly instant boost from the small primary turbo whatever the engine is doing at the time, good for the street.

In Japan the RSK has an auto version as well with slightly less power, but with VDC and VTD (see Outback H6, LL Bean for explanation). This is the transmission for the SVX. With manual transmission you will sacrifice the low rpm cruise capability and not really gain much in the 0 to whatever times. The Legacy RSK automatic has a down change button on the Momo steering wheel. The WRX transmission is on its limit with 400 hp in a body with a body of 1,400 kg and all early transmissions have problems with clutches and second gear synchromesh if not treated with respect. If you plan to turbo then 5 speed is an expensive option to persue.

<<<Second question, I've read in the SVX FAQ that they share the auto tranny with the Nissan pathfinder and the Mazda MPV and I was wondering if any of these vehicles got a manual tranny and if it could be fitted in the beloved SVX?

That's all I want to know, for now ; >>>

Short answer, no! Technically the auto could be the same, from the same OEM, the gear ratios are the same, but not the case, transfer gears and rear drive clutch. Use Subaru cases only, Quaife may have a box, or at least gear sets.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:09 AM
mindless

overnight idea

Since my post last night, I can't stop thingking about the SVX... ;
I've come back with another question: I've read that when doing the 5spd conversion, you have to take the front and read diff (correct me if I'm wrong...) and I've taught: will this sort the damn rear wheel bearing problem?

Waiting for an answer from the pro's
Old 04-15-2002, 08:51 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: overnight idea

Quote:
Originally posted by mindless
Since my post last night, I can't stop thingking about the SVX... ;
I've come back with another question: I've read that when doing the 5spd conversion, you have to take the front and read diff (correct me if I'm wrong...) and I've taught: will this sort the damn rear wheel bearing problem?

Waiting for an answer from the pro's
You do have to replace the rear diff, but i dont see how that will solve a wheel bearing issue.

-Mike