How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Bipa

Civil Rights vs. Security

I haven't looked at the game itself yet. U.S. residents don't have to download since you're already playing

Go directly to Guantanamo . . . Do not collect $200
Patriot Act: Home Version | This Monopoly game trades in civil liberties
Mar. 26, 2006. 01:00 AM
WAYNE PARRY
ASSOCIATED PRESS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this version of Monopoly, players don't go directly to jail; they go to Guantanamo Bay.

They don't lose cash by landing on certain squares; they lose civil liberties. A scowling John Ashcroft, the U.S. attorney general in the days after 9/11, dominates the centre of the board, replacing the Mr. Monopoly character.

Chance cards read like this: "Held For Extended Questioning! Either lose one civil liberty, or decide which player you turn in to authorities (they lose two civil liberties.)"

Designed by New Jersey graphic artist and civil rights advocate Michael Kabbash, Patriot Act: The Home Version pokes fun at "the historic abuse of governmental powers" by America's recently renewed anti-terrorism law.

While the game may be fun, Kabbash is serious about how he feels the law has curtailed Americans' freedom. The object of the game is not to amass the most money or real estate, but to be the last player to retain civil liberties.

Says Kabbash: "I've had people complain to me that when they play, nobody wins. They say, `We're all in Guantanamo and nobody has any civil liberties left.' I'm like, `Yeah, that's the point.'"

The Patriot Act was passed by Congress in the fall of 2001, in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks, giving law enforcers a vast array of investigative and prosecutorial powers they previously had not enjoyed.

Critics say it unacceptably impinged on civil liberties, granting investigators the right to examine people's library and medical records, among other things.

But the government defends the law as a vital tool that has helped prevent another terror attack. When the bill was renewed this month, Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez said, "the 89-to-10 bipartisan vote illustrates an understanding that the Patriot Act has kept us safer while protecting the civil liberties we cherish."

Kabbash, 38, decided on Ashcroft, who stepped down in January 2005, as the visual focus of the game because "he really is the icon that people associate with the Patriot Act."

In a nod to President George W. Bush's prewar comments, the "Go" space in this game is renamed "Bring It On!" Players roll the dice to determine how many civil liberties they start out with, accumulating them from a variety of categories. U.S. citizens get 5; non-citizens get 1. Whites and Asians get 5; Arabs get 1. Christians get 5 or 6 and Jews get 4; Muslims get 2 or 3. Ultra right-wingers get 6; Democrats get 3 or 4.

Instead of landing on, say Oriental Ave., a player lands on a space colour-coded to one of the national terror-alert levels. If it's a red space, one civil liberty is lost for the player and any others within five spaces. If it's an orange space, the one who lands there selects another player to lose one civil liberty.

The jail has been replaced by Guantanamo Bay — an automatic loss of three civil liberties. You can get out only by rolling a one.

Chance cards have become Homeland Security Cards. They include: "FBI wants you for questioning, lose one turn!" and "The ACLU takes your case; gain back one civil liberty!"

Kabbash is distributing the game free over the Internet, with printable game board and playing cards. So far, more than 2,000 copies of the game have been downloaded since it debuted in 2004.

Aside from possible copyright problems with the company that owns the rights to Monopoly, Kabbash isn't selling copies of his parody because he wants it to be as widely available as possible. Plus, he says, people might suspect his motives if he were profiting from it.

He had seven physical copies of the game produced, with die-cast metal playing pieces such as a jetliner, a dollar sign and an oversized cowboy hat.

"I wanted it to be not only a parody but a teaching tool," says Kabbash, who teaches graphics at The College of New Jersey. "This is my way of putting my political ideas forward, hoping people will wake up. There's a lot of apathy and we have to realize that we're in a democracy, that we're all allowed to say something."

Kabbash is a Christian whose grandparents came to the United States from Syria. His wife, Maha, is an attorney and activist with the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.

The designer, who says his next project will probably have something to do with the National Security Agency's domestic eavesdropping program, is reasonably certain "there's a file on me somewhere" and notes that some of the Internet addresses that have logged on to his site have been registered to government and military users.

When asked if the FBI keeps a file on Kabbash, a bureau spokesman declined comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The downloadable game is available at: http://www.graphix4change.com
Old 03-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Excellent concept. Hopefully it will spread and get people thinking.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-26-2006, 05:08 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
- Ben Franklin

That sums up my entire viewpoint right there.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
- Ben Franklin

That sums up my entire viewpoint right there.
(Presently jumping up and down pointing at the above thread screaming "What he said! What he said!")

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Hater

guess its a good thing you don't live in this hell we call the U.S. then, huh Bipa?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
guess its a good thing you don't live in this hell we call the U.S. then, huh Bipa?
Given the current atmosphere, I don't even want to transit through US airports! I've already written about that subject, so enough said.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: