How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2002, 11:33 AM
Lowered SVX

hey beav

i just had to get my left cv axle replaced and the guy said that they housing was destroyed.

what the hell does that mean? do you think it has anything to do with the changed angle of the axle from the lowering of my car?

thanks is advance for the answers.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

What housing? Part of the axle assembly or the tranny? Do you race this car? Was it a Subaru axle?
Old 03-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Lowered SVX

i think he was referring to the cv axle housing.

i dont know if that is part of the tranny where the axle goes or what?

i have not raced the car for almost a year. the axles are rebuilt axles i purchased locally. if i have anymore problems i will buy some from subaruparts.com.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
He's referring to the 'tulip' of the axle, the cup/outer race where the balls, cage and spider reside. When axles get noisy it's usually due to notches worn in the ball races of the tulip. The notches are normal wear areas, the balls predominantly ride in a small area, mostly straight ahead (within a few degrees.) That's why you normally hear a bad axle when you turn the wheels and accelerate - you're hearing the balls running in and out of the worn areas.

Some rebuilt axles are better than others. Some days a person feels like doing a good job, other days... Who knows? I can't remember the last time I installed a new axle, the rebuilts are normally never a problem. However I never use locally rebuilts, I always install a national brand.

As far as accelerated wear due to lowering, well, hmmm... Lowering the car will increase the angle vertically at both joints, which will cause it to have a slightly wider 'normal' wear path. I'd say it would probably have an effect, but not one that should make enough difference to be concerned about. The axles I install never return for replacement, so I'd have to say they're probably good for at least an additional three+ years. Unfortunately I'm not installing near as many axles these days as I was, say, five years ago. Most everything on cars are sooo much better than they were just a few years ago.

Beav
Old 03-04-2002, 04:09 PM
Lowered SVX

damn i like you beav.......

i feel a lot better about the axles now. basically if they go out again i will buy oem axles from subaru.com and be done with it. no more local b.s.

thanks again beav.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Actually I believe that Subaru also sells reman axles (but I'm not certain about SVX axles.) The problem would probably be getting a dealer to admit that they're available.

Beav
Old 03-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Some rebuilt axles are better than others. Some days a person feels like doing a good job, other days... Who knows?

Beav
I had a reman installed at pep boys once in my suby wagon. It stripped out a few months later while I was doing donuts in the snow in a parking lot. I thought I blew something in the tranny - the 4x4 became a rear wheel drive since there is no limited slip for the front wheels. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to move a rear wheel drive wagon in the snow. I took it to a suby dealer and they actually found that it had an extra bearing floating around inside the boot! Of course I got my money back from pep boys and never went back to their parts again.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Subaru doesn't do rebuilt SVX axles. I think we should collect them and then rebuild them at Beav's garage. (long term planning?)
Old 03-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Subaru doesn't do rebuilt SVX axles. I think we should collect them and then rebuild them at Beav's garage. (long term planning?)
If all they need is to be yanked, cleaned, packed and re-booted that's not a prob. Figure about 30 minutes/side (just did my RF Friday - 23 min.) However, if they are damaged, making noise, etc. it requires machine work and parts. I have seen a 'rebuilder' take a die grinder with a round stone to an axle and then toss in a set of new, larger balls. Needless to say, that was the last axle I bought from them.

Beav