SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Question engine knock

does anyone else's engine knock when it's started up cold? my dealer told me they all do it with age because of the liners in the cylinders. it does go away as soon as it warms up but it definitely sounds like the crank area that it comes from.how hard is it to replace the bearings if thats the cause? is the dealer feeding me bs and i'm about to blow up my car? Jason
Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 PM
92AWDSVX

My car knocks but not in revers, 1,2,or 3 i duno these damn cars are confusing and do alot of weird **** haha i still cant figure out how to get mine started!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92AWDSVX
My car knocks but not in revers, 1,2,or 3 i duno these damn cars are confusing and do alot of weird **** haha i still cant figure out how to get mine started!!!!

mine knocks no matter what when it's cold. you can hear it pretty godd sometimes and it gets scary. but when it's warm it's as quiet as can be. i noticed it got louder when i switched to castrol gtx start up. like i said in a previous post somewhere on here. castrol SUCKS! have already lost a small block because of it, not trying to lose my little boxer too.willALWAYS use maxlife from now on. best thing i've found. so what's the problem with yours? why did it stop running? feed me some info. maybe i can help alittle. you never know.

nevermind just found your thread. thinking..........

Last edited by Budfreak; 05-24-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:28 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Its probably the hydraulic lifters. Its common to many SVXes. Doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 AM
red95svx

A slight knocking or ticking sound is VERY common on all Subaru's after a cold start. As long as it goes away when the engine is warm you'll be fine. Not that long ago Subaru sent out a memo basically saying "a slight ticking sound that gradually goes away as the engine warms and is barely noticeable from inside the car is normal..."....or something along those lines.

As previously mentioned you may also have a hydraulic lifter that is misbehaving when cold. Either way I'm sure your engine is fine.

Dave
Old 05-25-2005, 11:51 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Yea when i start my car in the morning after its been sitting for a while there is a knocking noise and ticking as well. It goes away as the car warms up.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The ticking noise from the lifters is higher pitched and not much of a concern. You can hear it if you listen by the valve covers. It goes away when the engine warms up.

Knocking noisies are deeper and more centered over the block and more easily heard at the back of the engine. My engine has always had a slight knock all the time, hot or cold and I have noticed it on other engines too. I am not concerned about it since I got a lot of miles on the engine.

I have been using Lucas Oil Additive with the Mobil 10W-30 oil for awhile now. It has really helped to decrease the start-up cold noises and has reduced the leaking from the valve covers.

GOOD STUFF
Old 05-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
The ticking noise from the lifters is higher pitched and not much of a concern. You can hear it if you listen by the valve covers. It goes away when the engine warms up.

Knocking noisies are deeper and more centered over the block and more easily heard at the back of the engine. My engine has always had a slight knock all the time, hot or cold and I have noticed it on other engines too. I am not concerned about it since I got a lot of miles on the engine.

I have been using Lucas Oil Additive with the Mobil 10W-30 oil for awhile now. It has really helped to decrease the start-up cold noises and has reduced the leaking from the valve covers.

GOOD STUFF

mine is definitely a knock. it comes from the back of the motor and is definitely in the block area.not to worried since it goes away. but i should probally do the bearing sometime anyway just for preventative maintanence.