How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-05-2001, 11:38 PM
fongangus

Automatic-down shift

A automatic transmission car will automatic downshift as you floor the gas hard. However, as I was driving at 60mph with D, I need to step the gas all the way to the floor to have automatic downshift. If I step on 3/4 deep, the car will not downshift. I drove a V6 accord before, it will downshift easily without step the gas to the floor. Is that the way SVX is or there is a problem in the ECU????

Futhermore, the POWER mode come out only as I step all the way to floor also. Normal??
Old 12-06-2001, 11:38 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Sounds pretty normal to me.

I kinda like to idea of getting to choose my downshifts. I know it's there if I want it, but it doesn't take me by surprise. On the other hand, I had a Galant that would downshift on downhills, in order to limit speed (on cruise). That was the only thing I really liked about the car.

Sometimes when I floor it, the 'Power' light doesn't activate. It seems I have to take it by surprise.

("Yeah Subie, I'm just gonna continue to cruise at 45 in a 55 behind this overloaded coal tru . . . TAKE THAT, YOU COAL-TOSSIN' SLIME BAG!")

Just love it when it works.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 12-06-2001, 12:07 PM
Hitchhikin'

How long have youy been driving the SVX? The auto trannies nowadays learn from a driver's habits when they want to downshift, etc. When I first started driving the SVX, it would usually shift up at about 2500-3000 revs, unless I really stepped hard on the gas. Now, it shifts closer to 4000-4500. It's also much better at predicting when I want to downshift now, and usually shifts down when I put moderate acceleration on it. A little bit off topic, but I used to drive a 1990 Acura Legend, which has a separate sport mode. I drove that car for two years or so, and now the sport mode is usualy unwilling to shift below 4500 and downshifts when I want it to, because it knows how I drive. In comparison, if I drive it in normal mode, it still shifts at very low revs and takes a lot of pedal travel to force a down shift, which I think verifies that the auto trannies "learn" how you drive.

Also, power mode is fairly strange for me, it seems to be more of how fast you hit the pedal as opposed to how far you push it. I've tapped the gas really quickly and gotten power mode to light up, while there have been times where I can't get to power mode even at WOT.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:22 PM
fongangus

My car will shift at 2500-3000 also. But it needs to step a little harder to get it shift at 3000. Seems I need to floor it to let it shift >3000..... That means I need to floor it if I want to drive >3000rpm.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:43 PM
amuse

Australian SVX Power light?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Australian SVX cars have this power light? I have only owned mine for a couple for months and haven't noticed any such light....

Thanks,
Pete
Old 12-06-2001, 04:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
On the SVX it's not how far you press the gas pedal down, it's how fast you press it that causes the trans to go into 'sport' mode. Also, if an auto trans is near max speed for the lower gear it will avoid downshifting.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:24 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Ozze power.

>Does anyone know if the Australian SVX cars have this power light? I have only owned mine for a couple for months and haven't noticed any such light.... <

Hi Pete good to see you got your wheels. Mine is a 95 mod and has the green power light, on the right hand side of the check engine light just below the "9" on the taco. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine, the light should be on, goes off when the motor runs.
There is a sensor that checks the speed of throttle opening and signals the computer to go to power mode. Try running at 100k, (60mph) then flooring the pedal quickly, it should come on as the trans goes back to 3rd and you head towards warp speed.
Enjoy it Pete it's a great car.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:54 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
TPS

I turned my TPS about 1/8" CCW and the downshifts were much more prominent. Idle RPM was slightly higher, but I definately liked the easier downshifts.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-06-2001, 07:54 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I was told that 96-97s do not have power light. Power light comes on if you press on the gas fast not floor the car. Try it out. Just put on your steel toe boots and slam on that padel, you will see it kick in. On the other hand, if you do it slow, it might not. It also depends on the way you (or previous owner) have been driving the car. If you want to reset the computer, take the -ive terminal off the batt. of the car overnight. Hope it helps.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-06-2001, 08:26 PM

If your cruising down the highway and a little sport import pulls next to you and wants to go for a run...you try to put the pedal-to-the-metal and your car doesn't down shift(No Power light), try this next time...In one quick movement let off the gas then stomp on it, Instant reaction! Gotta Love It!!

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 12-07-2001, 05:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Power Light

Yes on the NO power light on '96-97 models. We STILL have the power mode though. I suspect they were concerned about liability with people looking at the light just when they need to be looking at the road. Pure speculation though.

Yes on the rate at which you hit the pedal. You can get to WOT without power mode, you just have to get there slowly.

Yes on the tranny shift points learning. The car will learn how you drive and over time will rarely suprise you with an unexpected down/up shift.

and as we all know "Power Mode" only resets the tranny shift points. No more HP or anything like that.

Have a nice day......
Old 12-07-2001, 01:57 PM
0260N4

The only 100% way that I have seen thus far to get power mode to activate is to stomp the gas and then let it us just a bit a stomp it again. Kinda like a double tap. More of a stomp-tap really. This works every time for me, but rarely will it go into power mode when I just stomp it.

026N4