SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: Have you ruined a set of performance tires?
Yes 12 60.00%
No 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Did you ruin a set of performance tires?

I ran a set of Yoko AVS db's at the door plate rating and they ended up cupped and noise as h@ll. I found out after the fact that I should have used a higher pressure above the Subaru recommended tire pressure, 40/36 psi.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Interesting poll/thread. I haven't ruined a set of tires, but I'm alsmost wondering if I should inflate my Bridgestones to the pressures you mentioned (40/36). I currently have them set at the factory recommendation like you did...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-10-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Interesting poll/thread. I haven't ruined a set of tires, but I'm alsmost wondering if I should inflate my Bridgestones to the pressures you mentioned (40/36). I currently have them set at the factory recommendation like you did...
Those are the exact pressures I use. My Bridgestone Potenzas came on the car and after 14,000 miles seem to be wearing reasonably well; but something about my driving (the curvy roads around here, I imagine) really scrubs-down the shoulders, and I'm trying to get 'em to ride up more on the center of the tread.

dcb
Old 09-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I kinda ruined my Yoko AVS db S2's by autocrossing them a couple times. The tread on the outsides of the center block feathered. I don't recommend autocrossing with any tires with large rain grooves (unless it's raining ).
Old 09-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I run 45/42 on my 17" tires and around 42/38 on stock size tires on the wife's svx. The tires wear alot better.

I ran my falken azenis down to the threads at that higher pressure with no cupping.
I ruined 2 sets of tires - avs db's and avid v4's by running them at the subaru recommended pressure. Never again. Car handles better at the higher pressure also.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:38 PM
CGLathrop

I wouldnt say ruined..but

I too also found that my tires where wearing down on the edges more then in the middle. So I bumped up my pressure to 37 front, 33 rear. It might not be enough still, but I am not going to buy another set of tires till the middle is worn down too.

Chris
Old 09-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I never pay attention to the what the door says. I go by the what the printing on the tire says.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:36 PM

???

33/29
37/33
40/36
45/42:

...what's the reason (or the physics) behind running the rears @ 10% lower pressure than fronts? and does this logic apply equally for fwd vs. awd variants? (ok, you engineers; here's your chance)
Old 09-10-2004, 06:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I did not ruin the tires but I wore out a set of TOYO Proxes T-1S tires. Using that set of tiresto their fullest , I also managed to wear out a set of rear wheel bearings, but it was one heck of a ride while it lasted.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Ruined a set of Toyo Proxes FZ4s. Not sure if it was using door plate tire pressures, or if it was bad struts, but the shoulders wore unevenly (some areas flat, some almost full tread), and they got pretty noisy. I could've run them for a while longer, but the noise was bugging me.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: ???

Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
33/29
37/33
40/36
45/42:

...what's the reason (or the physics) behind running the rears @ 10% lower pressure than fronts? and does this logic apply equally for fwd vs. awd variants? (ok, you engineers; here's your chance)
I'm not going to attempt to explain - I'm sure someone else could do a better job.

I got to my tire pressures by trial and error. I started with equally high pressure and then backed down on the rear end until the car felt more stable. It feels a little squirrely with the rears at the same pressure as the fronts. I found it feels best with the rears about 4psi lower no matter what the total height of pressure is.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I run with slightly lower pressure, and I'm sure I should run about 10 psi higher.
I noticed a lot of wear on the inside and I definitely won't run these in the snow.
They are destroyed.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:55 PM
SVX Appeal

Re: ???

I haven't ruined them yet, and they haven't ruined me. (Whichever comes first.) The "feathering' problem dcarrb and Earthworm mentioned is not new to me. These tires are first I've ever owned which address this problem. "Look Ma, no tread!" ...on the outside anyway. Seriously - it's so shallow that I believe it's actually meant to wear away. The inside tread, where there actually are quite a few more grooves, is much, much deeper. In addition to rain-handling, I think this is also to promote even wear with exaggerated camber settings.

I've been watching these things like a hawk. So far, they've been wearing very evenly, but it's a little too early to tell for sure. Don't worry, I'll have the results soon because these things rock! They stick so well they're kinda unpleasant to drive. Cornering is painful, and so is braking. One touch of the wheel and it's like glancing off a jersey barrier. I'm sure it'll be a totally different story when it snows. Their wet traction is rated as "poor" by The Tire Rack, but Michelin just says "N/A." I entirely disagree with The Tire Rack. In the rain they are worlds better than anything I've ever driven before. They will hydroplane a bit more easily, but only if it's a considerably deep puddle. If it's just damp, they're amazing. (245/45-16)

Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
Because there is less weight on the rear tires. They don't squish as much and need less pressure to hold things up. That's why you should put more air in your tires if you've got a heavy load.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
I had a set of Eagle HPs on the car. I took them in because there was some vibration. I thought the alignment or balance was off. Turns out, three of the four tires were SPLITTING on the inner walls and coming apart. Not cool. I don't think I did that, but perhaps it was something wrong with the car.

So, I got four Assurance tires (for cheap) and got an alignment. Everything should be better now, and those tires rock!

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 09-11-2004, 01:12 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
So what pressure would you guys recommend for 225/40/18's?
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?