How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Put it this way...usually the people who prep the car are not the same ones who spray it. In general, the real good sprayers are crappy with bodywork, and vice versa. This makes it even tougher to find a good shop. When it comes to spraying, it's easy to be good, it's hard to be excellent. When it comes to bodywork, it's really hard to be good at all. If you can get the bodywork done yourself or by someone who you know is good, you could have the car sprayed anywhere and it would probably be quite good.

I've come across a guy who does mind-blowing paint work. Problem is, he doesn't like to paint. He used to do show cars, now he makes body kits and hoods. I ordered an LPE hood which was defective, so he got me another one AND offered to paint it for free. He said "I used to be a decent painter, but it's been awhile". My thoughts were - yeah if that doesn't instill confidence... As it turns out, he's still got it. The end result is hands down the best paint job I have ever seen. He made a polyfiber hood look like a sheet of glass that's 1 foot thick. That's no easy task even for a seasoned painter.

The best way to gauge a painter's quality is by their work. Just like others in this thread have said, check up on references, examine their finished products and even their works-in-progress if possible. Also, stay away from dealer's body shops. They overcharge and don't really do very good work. You will definetly pay. Though it's not impossible to have an entire car painted well for about $2000.

Interesting note...the painter I was praising in the above paragraph is the man who built the body for the "Turbo Interceptor" from "The Wraith". Anybody seen that one?

If you'd like to see the hood, check out my locker in the "Trans Am" folder. It's the one on the car, the one on the stand is the defective one.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr

*old add* "I'll paint any car any color.....$99.95! *old add*
The really old Scheib ad was $29.95