How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-09-2001, 07:01 PM
ehyde111

Sweaky SVX

First, before anyone asks, Yes, I know I am paranoid about my SVX, but . . . when I drive it at slow speeds with the window down the darn thing squeaks! It sounds like it's comming form the wheels sorta like metal rubbing against metal. I'm sure it happens all the time, just cant hear it when I'm on the highway.

What's up? It drives me nuts.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:23 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Is it a low pitch or a high pitch squeak? Is it steady or does it pulse? Does it go away when you step on the brake? If you go to a parking lot, one that is empty, and turn left or right, does it go away? Does it do it if you drive backwards?
Old 11-09-2001, 08:32 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Wear sensors

How old are your front brake pads?Some brake pads have wear
indicators on them that make that sort of sound you are talking about. If you don't know how old your pads are, it is worth checking it out.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:20 PM
ehyde111

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Is it a low pitch or a high pitch squeak? Is it steady or does it pulse? Does it go away when you step on the brake? If you go to a parking lot, one that is empty, and turn left or right, does it go away? Does it do it if you drive backwards?
The squeak is a high pitched pulsed. Yes it goes away when you step on the break. Turning does not affect it, and I don't think it squeaks when I go backwards but I'm not sure about the last one.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:25 PM
ehyde111

Re: Wear sensors

Quote:
Originally posted by nubsjr
How old are your front brake pads?Some brake pads have wear
indicators on them that make that sort of sound you are talking about. If you don't know how old your pads are, it is worth checking it out.
I don't know the age, but I'd imagine they are old. Inspection is due in January, so they will be checked then. The squeak isn't associated with breaking. Just when I am coasting at slow speeds (5mph or so).
Old 11-10-2001, 05:50 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: Re: Wear sensors

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111
I don't know the age, but I'd imagine they are old. Inspection is due in January, so they will be checked then. The squeak isn't associated with breaking. Just when I am coasting at slow speeds (5mph or so).
You can get your car inspected up to 2 months ahead of the due date here in PA. The Squeak I am talking about will probably go away when you brake,at least for awhile,until the brakes wear down even more. I would not hurt to check it out.May save you
from a needing a set of rotors.