How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-21-2003, 10:12 AM
svxeno

Wheel bearing with a twist.

Well I knew it was inevitable with all the conversation about the wheel bearing vunerablility but I didn't expect it to be on the passenger side...IN FRONT.

I've gotten a couple of quotes for about $400. Seems high. what's your experiences with price?

I thought about doing it myself but it says to 'press' the new bearing in place. I don't have anything that presses anything. Crap!

Randy ii
Old 09-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Unfortunately that doesn't sound too far off the mark. Way back when I first owned an SVX, it cost me about $250 per side to get the wheel bearings replaced on the rear. From my understanding, the fronts are more difficult because of the turning mechanisms and thus probably more expensive.

On the bright side, fronts don't go nearly as often as the rears... that $400 might not be so bad.

(From the guy who I think first drew attention to the problem many moons ago...)

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Porter

Re: Wheel bearing with a twist.

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno
Well I knew it was inevitable with all the conversation about the wheel bearing vunerablility but I didn't expect it to be on the passenger side...IN FRONT.

I've gotten a couple of quotes for about $400. Seems high. what's your experiences with price?

I thought about doing it myself but it says to 'press' the new bearing in place. I don't have anything that presses anything. Crap!

Randy ii
Go see the folks at Mastro, they should be able to take care of your issue pretty quickly.

If you want to do it yourself, see if they will let you borrow or rent the new on-car bearing insertion tool. It is no longer necessary to use a bench press for bearing installation. Say hi to Alan (one of the techs, british guy) while you're there and ask to see his Impreza 1.8L frankenstein project.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I really think the bench press is the bearing killer. It puts way to much preload on the bearing. The hub tamer or other on the car tool with a power screw is the way to go.

I am not saying I know this from experience except I still have all the original bearings I got with the SVX at 90k miles and I now have about 100k more miles on it.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:50 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx

(From the guy who I think first drew attention to the problem many moons ago...)
So the SVX bearing problem is all your fault!?

Randy ii
Old 09-22-2003, 04:53 PM
svxeno

I'm dropping it off at Mastro in the morning. I'll look for Alan and ask.

I would try it myself but I need to get it back on the road quickly and I don't have the product or knowledge to do it correctly this time. I really hate to give that money to someone else.

As far as the pressing is conerned I could never bench press much over 150 to 175 lbs even on my best days.

Randy ii <---Smart a$$

ps: Thanks, I do feel better about the price now.