Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-19-2003, 10:34 AM
tracedog67

cost of new paint job

Folks,

I need to get the '92 LS-L (150k) repainted. Would it be best to go to a sub dealer or go to an independent? How much do you think it would cost? I'm guessing about $1000 for a good job, definetly not Maaco!!

Tdog
Old 09-19-2003, 11:01 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
If you want a good paint job, you should be looking about 3-5k on that. Macco can do it but sell the car straightaway as soon as you get it back fromthem
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Yeah, 3-5K is a better estimate. You can find less, but you'll start having problems in 3-5 years.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Paint

Hi TDog, I think you should look at the big picture. If you just paint a 11 or 12 year old car, you will be painting over all the imperfections that the car has picked up over the years. Both Mike Davis(Green1995SVX) and this poster had more of a restoration. That is all the dents,scratches,etc. were removed before the painting. Depending on the condition of your car the price will vary. I think you should expect to pay about double the three to five thousand estimate. Also find a shop that works on hi-end cars like M/B, BMW. and the like. Your Dad was a happy man every time he got behind the wheel. Take care, BOBB
Old 09-19-2003, 01:01 PM
tracedog67

cost of new paint job

Holy cow batman!! Actually, the worst part is some deep chips and peeling of paint on the rear spoiler. If I wanted to have the spoiler painted only what would be the best option? New spoiler or just take the old one to a paint shop? Is there are reason to think the subaru dealer would be better qualified versus an independent shop? My wife has totally feel in love with this car that we will probably sell her Jeep cherokee.

thanks

Tdog
Old 09-19-2003, 01:26 PM

Re: cost of new paint job

Quote:
Originally posted by tracedog67
Holy cow batman!! Actually, the worst part is some deep chips and peeling of paint on the rear spoiler. If I wanted to have the spoiler painted only what would be the best option? New spoiler or just take the old one to a paint shop?
New spoiler will not come in the correct color. I believe that only red is left as far as factory spoilers. I bought one and had it painted by a local restoration shop.

Quote:
Is there are reason to think the subaru dealer would be better qualified versus an independent shop?
Independent shop only! No carstars, no maacos, no dealers.

Look for a small shop that has a lot of rare cars around it, street rods, Muscle cars, higher end Mercedes or Rolls in the shop. They will take the time to make sure the car is prepped right.

I would just do the spoiler and fix any major rust or dents. I wouldn't repaint the whole car based on your description.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 09-19-2003, 01:41 PM
tracedog67

cost of new paint job

Should I remove the old spoiler or buy a new one? Where should I buy the paint to exactly match the car itself? Is spoiler hard to remove from car?

thanks
Old 09-19-2003, 01:51 PM

Re: cost of new paint job

Quote:
Should I remove the old spoiler or buy a new one? Where should I buy the paint to exactly match the car itself? Is spoiler hard to remove from car?

thanks
The spoiler is pretty easy to remove, four nuts on the underside of the trunk. I would let the shop deal with the removal, paint and color matching it.

Like I said, If you buy a new one, it will have to be painted any, so you might as well just have your original repaired and painted.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 09-19-2003, 02:04 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

personally, i think that maaco does a pretty good job in terms of painting. i had my mr2 repainted there with their 600 dollar package at the beginning of the summer... with the extra body work and what not, it came out to be just over 1000 for the whole job. i'm actually quite satisfied with the paint. don't get them to intall any parts cuz they suck at that (my cf hood on the 2 is not the best fitting job done, but it'll do for now)

in fact, when its time for paint on the svx, i'll not hesitate to take the car back to maaco.... as long as you do most of the prepping yourself... i.e. if you have any cracks in the paint, any bumps in the paint, sand it out ourself... as long as the surface is somewhat smooth, maaco does a pretty good job in terms of painting...

disclaimer: pretty good job = not show quality, but nice enough to take out to a fancy dinner or black tie event and have the valet go wow, nice car finish
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 09-19-2003, 02:35 PM

After spending many years in the restoration business, I can tell you that you most likely have no hardener in your paint. It is the easiest way to cut costs. Hardener is very expensive. One half-gallon costs as much as a gallon of paint. If you leave it out, the paint looks great for the first 3 years or so, then it starts to go dull, chalk up, and even wear off from the elements.

For a good example, take a look at my second SVX which has a Maaco paint job that the previous-previous-owner had done about five years ago.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 09-19-2003, 09:08 PM
nnjsvx

Smile

I just picked up my 94 LSI from the paint shop tonight. It was done at a local shop who does Mercedes, BMW, Vettes, Jags, and Escalades as well as everyday cars.

The job included a complete removal of all lights, sideview mirrors, lower door and side body cladding, side cladding below rear side mirrors, door handle assemblies,all rubber or vinyl moldings, etc. Kept original color, Bordeux Pearl

Primers for sheet metal metal is different than the one for the plastic body parts and the rubber bumpers as well a panit additive for these parts.

The paint is Duponts 7500 series and comes with a 7 year warranty against fade, peel, delamination, and orange peel.

Cost of the paint job with complete stripping of hood and roof plus remount clips and mylar chip guards and repaint of 3 wiper arms was $2,700. Also a glaze coat will be applied in 3-4 weeks after I inspect for details (probably when washing it) and he will fix

Pics showing in process dissassembly and finished paint are in my locker. The finished pic was at 6 pm in poor light here in the northeast. I plan to get more that will show better.

I provided all new front end lights and one rear taillight.

I am very pleased with the quality of paint
Old 09-19-2003, 09:17 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Your car looks AMAZING. And best of all you get to keep it that way since there is no worry about how it will be treated. keep it up!
phil
Old 09-19-2003, 11:14 PM
FearWhat

yes i have to agree. I just purchased my SVX and the last owner hat it panted by macco. And let me tell you the paint is dull and you can see it really it not fairing well to the sun. Plus it really only has a stage 1 clear coat. last time i put polish on the car the paint came back on the applicator LOL.. Well i am going to try to Clean/wax/polish then take it to detail shop have them apply there coating after that. see if that extends it abit. While i am working on all the mechanical issues 1st LOL.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nnjsvx
ICost of the paint job with complete stripping of hood and roof plus remount clips and mylar chip guards and repaint of 3 wiper arms was $2,700. Also a glaze coat will be applied in 3-4 weeks after I inspect for details (probably when washing it) and he will fix
You got an awesome deal!

It looks great!
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 09-21-2003, 08:57 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
For those who don't know, I had a color change done a year and a half ago. $2000.00. Pics in my locker.
Color is awesome, paint is awesome.
Now, if I could just find a way to avoid chips and dings, I'd be golden.

~~Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*