How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-04-2003, 04:53 PM
JLittell

Smile K&B Lowering Springs Q's

..Wondered if you added k&b springs just to the front? I know that if you added them if would drop the back 1/2" and the front 1". What about the front only? Back seems to be low enough on my car. Can you do this w/o sacrificing handling? Is it safe?
Old 07-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Registered Abuser

Good Question

I was wondering the same thing.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 07-06-2003, 08:29 AM
alacrity024

i'm about to do a full strut replacement w/brand new factory struts and K&B dropsprings. I have the same "droopy" rear end that you're talking about, and i'm pretty certian that it's a strut issue. I've been advised by quite a few people that even if they're still in decent shape, I should put new struts in with the lowering springs.

to answer your question though, i don't think you'll be making anything WORSE.. you just won't be making it quite as GOOD..

what's the reason for the sagging rear end though?? is it maybe that the rear coilsprings are starting to weaken and aren't supporting the car? in that case, replacing them with the dropsprings might result in no change whatsoever to the rear.. i'll try to do before-and-after pictures on my install..

-adam
Old 07-06-2003, 08:56 AM
JLittell

After thinking about I don't think you can get the K&B springs in pairs, or can you? Where can you get them? Anyone else sell them other than Motorsports? I am going to replace my struts w/ Konis first. I have seen droppy rear ends on some cars and wondered if it was a sign of bad struts.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:28 AM
JLittell

Found some Koni's. Cheaper than Motorsports!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4661
Old 07-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered Abuser

I thought the springs support the car and they struts just dampen the springs? My yellow car droops in the back about an inch lower than my black car did. I ordered some K & Bs from Dayle in November, so I should have them soon. However I don't know if I will be using them because I am putting some really wide wheels on there(18 x 8 w/38mm ofset). So I may or may not be selling them as soon as they come in. Mychailo(mbtoloczko) has made some custom drop springs as well, so you might contact him.

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 07-07-2003, 02:12 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I've had the rear suspension apart, and there are a few things I can see contributing to sagging of the SVX in the rear.

1) The upper spring cushion for the rear strut is a rather thick piece of rubber that can compress over time. I would estimate it could compress about 1/4".

2) The rubber bumper in the rear upper strut mount may also compress. I couldn't really guess by how much except that I wouldn't expect it to exceed 1/4".

Neither of those account for a 1" squat. From what I've seen, the springs do not sag. When I had a set of springs tested, the rear springs measured in at 108 lbs/in which is just 2 lbs/in less than specification. Not nearly enough to cause any significant amount of squat.

The K&B springs are supposedly between 10% and 20% stiffer than stock. If you were to only install K&Bs in the front, I would expect that the car would drive fine but understeer even more than it already does because adding more stiffness to the front only will do this.

My kit will drop the rear slightly; probably about 1/4".

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.