Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Tired

Unhappy Auto Seatbelt problem

Hi Everyone,

My drivers side Automatic Seatbelt has been working intermittently. Most of the time it works fine, but lately when I get out of my car it sits for a few seconds before it retracts. Today, it never retracted and I had to play “limbo” to get out of my car. Finally when I got home it decided to start working. Any clues? I searched the forum and found out that the sensor for the belt operation is somewhere connected with the door opening mechanism. Is this true?

Thanks!

Ad this to the list of needing a left CV joint, dash lights for the Cruse Control & Security Switch, new fuel inject due to hard starting, something going “Bump” when I start from a standing start, and the passenger side sun visor sagging. Oh yeah… I am at 120,000 miles so I’ll need to replace the timing belt and other items involved in the 60,000-mile service. Kinda has me down.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 10-13-2002, 01:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Paul,
If this stuff has you down, then, you've come to the right place. Long time, no see. Glad you stopped in.

First, try some contact cleaner along the window track to clean the sensors. Try that first, then, if that's no help, I'll try to make some time to scan the page with the location of the sensors withing the door.

The lights in the buttons are easy to replace, so, no biggy there. If you replaced your t-belt at 60K, then you've got, at least, another 20-30K left, so, don't sweat it. You can put it off for a more convenient time between now and the (government mandated) 100K mark. Get that CV boot fixed as soon as possible, and (if that "bump" happens in reverse, also) have your rear diff mounts checked.

Again, good to "see" you hanging 'round the ol' group again. Keep your chin up, we're all in the same boat.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-13-2002, 02:19 PM
I_Alcyone_I

I have that problem with the belts. First it was my passenger side, so I never felt like fixing it, then it fixed its self. Now it is the driver side. Me being lazy, I'm thinking it will fix its self also. The belts in my car on both passenger (when it was having the problem) and driver side will retract fine if you open the door before you turn the car off. So I just open the door right before I turn the car off. It's become so routine I do it without thinking about it anymore.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:28 AM
Tired

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Paul,
If this stuff has you down, then, you've come to the right place. Long time, no see. Glad you stopped in.

First, try some contact cleaner along the window track to clean the sensors. Try that first, then, if that's no help, I'll try to make some time to scan the page with the location of the sensors withing the door.

Again, good to "see" you hanging 'round the ol' group again. Keep your chin up, we're all in the same boat.
Randy,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I’ll try the contact cleaner. I guess I just spray it in the tract? I have probably gummed it up by spraying tons of WD-40 up in there.

Sometimes the small stuff gets me down and then I think about trading it in. But I can’t find an affordable replacement at the same quality. Looked at the WRX but it’s not the same car as the SVX.

I love meeting other SVX owners on the road. Made a new friend in Boone N.C. this weekend. Same car as mine but only has 80K miles. We compared all the SVX stuff like “how many bearing have you replaced” and “how many antennas have gone bad”. My wife still picks on me because I get so excited when I see another SVX.

I am getting it aligned today and the “bump” in the rear-end checked. Hopefully it’s nothing major.

All in all I consider myself blessed.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 10-14-2002, 08:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Paul,
Speaking of meeting other SVX owners, I sure wish you had made it to the 19th Anniversary Meet. It was a great time. And, speaking of Boone, NC, the owner of a dealership there was in attendance at the 10th meet and is now a great friend of the Network. His name is John (can't remember his last name), and, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of his dealership. Perhaps someone else can recall.]

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX JAZZ

Randy,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I’ll try the contact cleaner. I guess I just spray it in the tract? I have probably gummed it up by spraying tons of WD-40 up in there.

Sometimes the small stuff gets me down and then I think about trading it in. But I can’t find an affordable replacement at the same quality. Looked at the WRX but it’s not the same car as the SVX.

I love meeting other SVX owners on the road. Made a new friend in Boone N.C. this weekend. Same car as mine but only has 80K miles. We compared all the SVX stuff like “how many bearing have you replaced” and “how many antennas have gone bad”. My wife still picks on me because I get so excited when I see another SVX.

I am getting it aligned today and the “bump” in the rear-end checked. Hopefully it’s nothing major.

All in all I consider myself blessed.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-14-2002, 10:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

I'm sorry I missed the 19th Anniv. SVX Meet. Please post photos

I see that you're also catching CRS disease. Welcome to the club.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 10-14-2002, 10:55 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Randy,

I'm sorry I missed the 19th Anniv. SVX Meet. Please post photos

I see that you're also catching CRS disease. Welcome to the club.
Dammit! Now EVERYBODY knows about my time machine. Thanks, Larry.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-14-2002, 11:52 AM
Tired

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Paul,
Speaking of meeting other SVX owners, I sure wish you had made it to the 19th Anniversary Meet. It was a great time. And, speaking of Boone, NC, the owner of a dealership there was in attendance at the 10th meet and is now a great friend of the Network. His name is John (can't remember his last name), and, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of his dealership. Perhaps someone else can recall.]

Hi Randy,

His name is John Cook. He owns John Cook Subaru. Marus their parts guy is real cool and knows his stuff. John has a black LSl like mine but it only has around 60K on his.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 10-14-2002, 11:55 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX JAZZ

Hi Randy,

His name is John Cook. He owns John Cook Subaru. Marus their parts guy is real cool and knows his stuff. John has a black LSl like mine but it only has around 60K on his.
Yep, that's him. Next time you see him, tell him I said hi, and to get over here to the Network. Hmmm. Wonder if he'll discount parts to Network members.
Subaru Ambassador