How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Registered Loser

Is my SVX eating coolant? (VID)

Hey all, I did a radiator flush today and when I turned the car on it smelt really bad and here is a video of the exhaust.

-Changed coolant temp sensor a year ago
-PWR radiator
-Open the radiator cap every 2nd day and coolant is right up top and so it reserve tank
-Fans kick in and out nicely.
-Never overheats
-I don't understand this.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:56 AM

Re: Is my SVX eating coolant? (VID)

Jordon that nothing to panic about my guess its normal. I am right that today is the first time you turned the heater on?
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:42 AM

Registered SVX

my heater core hose came off inside my car about the same time last year the first time i used the heater lol and leaked most of my rad into the pass floor im not phased by the cold so i just bypassed the heater core , (although i didn't realize wen i bypassed it that the hose had just actually just came off the bottom of the heater core) lol oh well il hook it back up one day maybe get some new hose for it and some clamps just to be sure to haha
Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Few questions:

How cold was it when you shot the video?

When you did the flush, was it just the radiator, or the whole cooling system?

When you did the flush, was the engine hot ?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Registered Loser

-Yesterday was the first time I connected and used my heater!! It's great.
-I drained the main hose at the bottom of the radiator straight after the fans cut out (car off of course) because I assumed the thermostat would be open so I could do a WHOLE engine flush
-After 45mins I opened up the engine inlet heater core hose and shoved a hose in and ran water through it but very little water just until the coolant ran clear transparent.
-So it was about 5pm, was about 61 or 16'C
-At the time of the vid the car was at normal everyday driving temp
-Initially there was more smoke than that in the video esp when I gave it a rev.

Could it be coolant passing the valves or something like that, that I may have read before? Maybe it was oil that I had read.

Thanks for your help everyone, Jordan.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
-Yesterday was the first time I connected and used my heater!! It's great.
-I drained the main hose at the bottom of the radiator straight after the fans cut out (car off of course) because I assumed the thermostat would be open so I could do a WHOLE engine flush
-After 45mins I opened up the engine inlet heater core hose and shoved a hose in and ran water through it but very little water just until the coolant ran clear transparent.
-So it was about 5pm, was about 61 or 16'C
-At the time of the vid the car was at normal everyday driving temp
-Initially there was more smoke than that in the video esp when I gave it a rev.

Could it be coolant passing the valves or something like that, that I may have read before? Maybe it was oil that I had read.

Thanks for your help everyone, Jordan.
The only thing thats a little worrysome is flushing cool water into a hot engine could cause warpage of the heads. However since you havent seen any evidence of overheating, just keep an eye on it. If you see white smoke coming from the exhaust all the time, even on a warm day, then I would find somewhere that can lend or sell you the block tester kit to check your headgaskets. Also keep checking your coolant to make sure it stays full. I wouldnt worry about anything yet unless you start seeing other things happening.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM

you should be able to smell it if it is coolant in the mornings my black one will blow a cloud of condensation till the exhaust/car is warm i can actually see it waft up behind the car at the lights when i stop, you have to remember what ever moisture is in the air gets put through the engine and this will condense in the exhaust if the mufflers are cold

regards Cam
Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
you should be able to smell it if it is coolant in the mornings my black one will blow a cloud of condensation till the exhaust/car is warm i can actually see it waft up behind the car at the lights when i stop, you have to remember what ever moisture is in the air gets put through the engine and this will condense in the exhaust if the mufflers are cold

regards Cam
Yeah white steam from the exhaust is normal, on cooler days, since the catalytic converters are responsible for converting raw engine exhaust into carbon dioxide and water, same as we exhale. Its just if it does it when its pretty warm outside that its suspicious.