Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Talking I've now autocrossed both an auto and manual SVX

Yesterday I autocrossed my 5 speed, coilover equipped SVX for the first time with the Michigan Sports Car Club. I've used the same suspension on my automatic car before I sold it. I must say it is nice to be able to select the gear the car uses myself. I bounced off rev limiter a couple of times and generally enjoyed myself.

This group uses a different classing system than the SCCA and I was competing against modified Mini Cooper S' and Honda Civics...so yeah I didn't do that well with her. I was also using a set of "shaved" Azenis. They had been very well used on a WRX but I got them for free and decided to try them as they barely had a tread pattern. As I haven't autocrossed an SVX since last August, and at that time it was my automatic equipped car, I decided to burn these up on the concrete pad instead of my usual autocross tires. I expect that I could have cut some time using these newer grippier tires.

I do have to say that adding as much negative camber as the crash bolts would allow did dramatically alter the cars turn in as well as reduce the amount of understeer. I wish I could justify the camber/caster plates but I can't right now

Todd
Old 05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: I've now autocrossed both an auto and manual SVX

Very cool!

Did you notice a big difference in behavior now that the car is lighter and has a 50/50 split?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hi Tim,

The cars are probably pretty close in weight now. My 1995 was an L model and the 1992 is an LS-L so it was heavier to start. The 1995 weighed 3478 lbs and it is missing the sunroof, power/leather seats and other stuff.

The swap dropped 100 pounds of so. I removed the front seats and swapped in Recaros. I gutted the back seat and trunk area (seats, trim, package shelf, rear seat belts, trunk panels, spare tire cover, rear wiper, rear washer, spoiler). My guess is I'm slightly lighter now.

I did notice and enjoyed the full-time AWD aspect of the car on course. Under certain conditions the AWD in the automatic car would make the car handle differently depending on my inputs. That effect seemed lessened yesterday. That combined with the ability to pick my gear myself made me feel I was in control more than the car if that makes sense.

Todd
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I found the GC/Koni + 5spd makes the SVX feel much more balanced.

What I hated about auto-x and the 4eat was not being able to get back into 1st gear without slowing down to 30mph. Mind you, once I shifted to 2nd in the 5mt I stayed there until the end of the run.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Another autocross on Monday for me!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: