How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX
Unhappy Speedometer Died in Rosies Rocket!

Well after several searches of posts and how to's ........ SVX NETWORK !!!!!!!!!! ............. it looks like the speedogear needs replacing. I managed to pull the sensor # 2 and that appears fine although I had no one around to check the speedo while spinning it with the ignition on. I did use a long screwdriver in the slot where I pulled the sensor and tried to spin the gear and can only get 3/4 of a turn either way and a little stiff at that. As replacement of the gear is a little above my skill and shop level I called my local $ubaru dealer and was given a $712 ballpark estimate for replacement of the gear....... unless they find other issues........... Is this a reasonable estimate? Does the list agree with my diagnosis? Rosies Rocket is a 97 Lsi with 160,000 miles and runs great until this surfaced. Would it be ok to drive it 25 miles to the dealer? T.I.A for your input !!!!
1997 Polo Green SVX LSI #316 49,000, garage queen, aka "The Green Queen" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI #200, 167,000, daily driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket I" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI#234, 106,000, summer driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket II"
1988 Red & White Silverado, aka "The Hauler"

2000 GRAND MARQUIS LS w/ handling package, aka "BIG BLUE"

1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible, aka " Lil Blue "

Last edited by ARED 97; 08-14-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
here is an estimate for the whole gauge cluster $840.45 so it might be heres the site https://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=1&catalogid=2
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Registered SVX
I have not had this problem as I have a JDM, but I recall that a year or two back there were several reports on the stripping of the drive gear, which I understand is plastic. Considerable time is involved in getting at the culprit.

Keep shouting as there are those here who have experienced the problem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx
here is an estimate for the whole gauge cluster
Ah, that's the wrong end. The gear is attached to the sensor that goes into the transaxle.

Not for nothin', but I don't think anyone here would pay $840 for the gauge cluster, either!

What all is included in that $712? I don't think the sensor tops $150... ??

EDIT: Gack! The speedo gear isn't so easy to get out as I'm used to. Pulling one from a Neon's 850 transaxle is as easy as removing the sensor - the gear is attached immediately to the sensor. $712 is starting to make a lot more sense...

Last edited by LetItSnow; 08-15-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Gack! The speedo gear isn't so easy to get out as I'm used to. Pulling one from a Neon's 850 transaxle is as easy as removing the sensor - the gear is attached immediately to the sensor. $712 is starting to make a lot more sense...
Yea, gotta pull the tranny = $$$$$$$$ & nonsense !!! Checked sensor today- its good!
1997 Polo Green SVX LSI #316 49,000, garage queen, aka "The Green Queen" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI #200, 167,000, daily driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket I" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI#234, 106,000, summer driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket II"
1988 Red & White Silverado, aka "The Hauler"

2000 GRAND MARQUIS LS w/ handling package, aka "BIG BLUE"

1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible, aka " Lil Blue "

Last edited by ARED 97; 08-15-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I have not had this problem as I have a JDM, but I recall that a year or two back there were several reports on the stripping of the drive gear, which I understand is plastic. Considerable time is involved in getting at the culprit.

Keep shouting as there are those here who have experienced the problem.
Yes this tiny little gear was one of two things. Plastic in most casses or brass. I have broken this same little gear in my Impreza and well it's easier to get used to paying attention to what gear you are in at what RPMs. I had an estimate of 500 to do it. I have a guy that does this stuff at a fairly straight rate. He had my old tranni still which would be the doner for the gear so it was the cost of dropping it and putting it back in. So if Subaru is gonna hve to replace the part yeah it will cost that. You could allways go to a non-dealer mechanic and probably pay around 400-500 to have it done. Or like my route cause I have other things to have to pay for, find a new sollution to set up a new speed reading for the speedometer. You can find ways to run off the tac readout or even at the beginning of your driveshaft and run the signal to the dash. You'll still need it calibrated to read correctly though. I'll most likely need to recalibrate when i do over the Impreza with the ez30d(R).
good luck
-David
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis